The Spawn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eventually, with the amount of money coming in and production numbers going up, the figure should just cost less. I backed at $40 but I wouldn't mind if the stretch goals were just incremental decreases in the price.

Well now everyone is getting a new second pair of hands and the 3 pack will now get you all 5 heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really curious as to what would've happened if this only met the $100K goal. Would we not have gotten a pair of hands to actually hold the gun? Seems like this "big thank you" gift should've been a given, same with the 5 heads.

I personally hate Kickstarters..because if they don’t reach their target goal in funds ...guess what, they don’t release your preorders :pfft:

Ok I peeled through 20+ pages and have a head question. I saw that the 3 pack comes with all 5 heads, that is good. But will the Modern also include the masked portrait or JUST the hamburger/shoelace head?

Any scuttlebutt about a "blue" variant?:wink1:

I'm really curious as to what would've happened if this only met the $100K goal. Would we not have gotten a pair of hands to actually hold the gun? Seems like this "big thank you" gift should've been a given, same with the 5 heads.

I think it was from the beginning but he needed to hold onto a gift for the stretch goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally hate Kickstarters..because if they don’t reach their target goal in funds ...guess what, they don’t release your preorders :pfft:

At least you don't get charged if that happens.

Ok I peeled through 20+ pages and have a head question. I saw that the 3 pack comes with all 5 heads, that is good. But will the Modern also include the masked portrait or JUST the hamburger/shoelace head?

Any scuttlebutt about a "blue" variant?:wink1:

Just the shoelace head, as of now anyway.

I was wondering why even bother with Kickstarter. He already has a toy company - just make what what you want Todd! :lol

To literally prove that the big box retailers are an archaic thing of the past and that they are not needed any more.

I've seen more and more this specialty product, and mass, timely, child-driven product alike miserably mishandled by big box retailers like Target and Wal Mart and lets not even mention TRU who literally went out of business because of reasons like this. Abysmal distribution, their buyers have complete lack of awareness of what actually sells. Traditionally companies like Todd have relied on these kinds of retailers to be able to sustain a business and they are struggling enough already because of third party dealers like Amazon. But the direct to consumer model is the way of the future. Knowing Todd he will probably find a way to have everyone else distribute through him eventually too, giving diamond for example, a run for it's money.

When they said no to Spawn Todd just completely kicked them in the ass and showed them they are irrelevant, as per usual demonstrating he is a once in a lifetime creative and business genius. A combo that does not come along too often.

I'm starting to like the look of that modern version. I always wanted a good shoelace head on spawn.
I do wish that version had the boot and glove as well. I still have my spawn collection from back then in boxes, perhaps one of them is in the right scale to customize this...

To literally prove that the big box retailers are an archaic thing of the past and that they are not needed any more.

I've seen more and more this specialty product, and mass, timely, child-driven product alike miserably mishandled by big box retailers like Target and Wal Mart and lets not even mention TRU who literally went out of business because of reasons like this. Abysmal distribution, their buyers have complete lack of awareness of what actually sells. Traditionally companies like Todd have relied on these kinds of retailers to be able to sustain a business and they are struggling enough already because of third party dealers like Amazon. But the direct to consumer model is the way of the future. Knowing Todd he will probably find a way to have everyone else distribute through him eventually too, giving diamond for example, a run for it's money.

When they said no to Spawn Todd just completely kicked them in the ass and showed them they are irrelevant, as per usual demonstrating he is a once in a lifetime creative and business genius. A combo that does not come along too often.

TRU went out of business more because of investors rather than how their business was actually run.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...-wall-street-profiteers-did-column/491434002/

I am glad to see this sell well even if I won't be getting it. The thing that sets Todd apart from other artists isn't talent though, it's drive, determination and ambition. And he comes up with nice ideas sometimes. The art itself is ok cartoony stuff. But nothing as good as Bill Sienkiewicz, Dave McKean, Alex Ross, Jamie Hernandez, Crumb, Bernie Wrightson, Frank Miller, Art Adam's, Jim Lee, Bryan Hitch, Ivan Reis, George Perez, Alan Davis, John Byrne, Dale Keown and a lot of others. The point is that he takes advantage of what he has and takes chances on business adventures those others won't. He is much more business savvy than all of those guys.

Stretch goal #1 the $160 level gets ALL of the heads and now all orders get a second set of hands ! Looks like I'm going for that $160:level now ��

I still can't get over the price on these. Todd has strong connections to toy factories, he has experience in how to get the best deals from those factories, he has his own established website, and he's fulfilled direct online orders previously. Even considering the smaller production run, these shouldn't be $40 each. Maybe he wasn't expecting it to be as successful and have a smaller production run, but this has shown that customers will pay that much for Spawn figures, I think anything he does through crowdfunding in the future will also be overpriced.

I hope this doesn't discourage Todd from doing variants on the MK11 Spawn. I love the sculpt on that version and I'd like to see a more faithful classic appearance paint without the giant right boot and right gauntlet.

That?s why I don?t understand the Kickstarter route. He has his own website he could have done this through - Hasbro and Mattel already proved keeping the fundraising internal works. And I can?t imagine this wouldn?t have been successful through normal online channels though. Just seems like a lot of unnecessary hoops to jump through for something not really all that deluxe or never before done.
6C72E9CE-A34D-4524-B65B-5D8F7F0CC734.jpeg

I didn't see a link to the Kickstarter page, apologies if it was.

View attachment 482771

Thought this was an interesting comparison on the page - the video with the blow-apart rendering of what the articulation is really was helpful to see what it was that they improved upon.

View attachment 482772

What I'm running into is that I want the Classic, Modern (stitched / hamburger head) and screaming versions, but the 3-pack comes with the original Al Simmons head, need to mull it over.

So now that it's funded by some insane percentage...with 28 days still left, I wonder if they will do this for other figures

Crazy how I never had a spawn figure but I need one

I’ve never been big into spawn, but I absolutely love the design. I was just gonna settle on the MK one, but I might have to get the classic one too.

EDIT: backed lol

That?s why I don?t understand the Kickstarter route. He has his own website he could have done this through - Hasbro and Mattel already proved keeping the fundraising internal works. And I can?t imagine this wouldn?t have been successful through normal online channels though. Just seems like a lot of unnecessary hoops to jump through for something not really all that deluxe or never before done.

The man just made a MILLION DOLLARS in about 72 hours. Don't question him. :rotfl

Back