The Sideshow Freaks Fitness Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, just realized this thread existed very cool. Share a bit of info on my fitness...I've been lifting steadily for about 6 years now and love every minute of it. Had to stop for a while at the tail end of last year due to partially torn bicep tendon, scapula tendon, and rotator...plus herniated discs in c5, 6, and 7. Been back for about three months now and trying to get back to where I was before I fell apart. Best I'd been was 15% body fat at 228lbs 107.8lbs of muscle. Anyone here workout at golds in Pasadena ca?

did you end up having surgery on your torn bicep? I tore my left bicep 2 years ago and never looked into having it surgically repaired.

I used to power lift regularly but also fell apart and have yet to get back into it.

No shawpaw, I did not get surgery since it wasn't fully torn the dr said to let it heal or tear completely before we do surgery....kaiser dr's are so caring. I did get cortisone injections in my neck/spine at the c5ish region and two in my shoulder. They helped but I still have loads of pain and numbness in my left hand. I'd say if it's at all possible to get back into the gym. I know I was very depressed about being unable to lift and even though I can't lift like I used to it makes me feel so much better just being able to lift again. I know a lot of powe lifters, it's an awesome sport. Did you ever compete? I was never a power lifter I just got caught up in the constantly trying to lift more game. I have thought about taking an hgh cycle in hopes of repairing my body but I'm kinda sketch about doing it.

You guys going to end up in the wheelchair before you get old. Why push so hard. Being in shape not good enough?

Honest moment: I used to think a lot of my worth was based on my physical stature. So that's why I pushed myself and did power lifting. Definitely gave me a confidence boost. But mr green is right that it comes at a cost. I'll never power lift again but I'd definitely hope to manage the muscles I have left and get more lean

I know you're right mr. Green it's just so hard to not get caught up in the testosterone fueled competitive mind set. I learned the hard way now I try to lift smarter. I'm almost 40 and sometimes I feel like I'm 80! But I don't think I'll ever stop working out no matter how injured I become. I really need to lean out too shawpaw...the best way is with meal preps it's just so expensive and I'd rather spend the money on figures haha!

You guys going to end up in the wheelchair before you get old. Why push so hard. Being in shape not good enough?

I'm with Mr. Green. Not only are you probably going to get injured, you're going to impede gains by not resting enough. There's an MEV and an MRV. You shouldn't do more than your MRV and you really need to be aware of what that is. And if you're going to push harder, enjoy not seeing the muscle build because you keep breaking it down...it never gets a chance to get bigger and stronger. I find I gain the most muscle on my rest days/time off. Because I'm fueling my muscles with the food it needs to build, and giving it the time to do so.

This is not an 'I need to be shredded by August' thing. You're not competing, right? So slow down and do it right.

I don't think it's a matter of slowing down, I took my sweet time getting up to my best lifting....body just couldn't take it...Yeah definitely not a get shredded deal and no competition. I really am not concerned with being shredded, that isn't my body type. Just like to be happy with my self and be strong. That being said I'm always in competition with myself. Buffy you're definitely a strong person and you put in work so props to you. I hit some 100lbs Dumbbells on incline today.....be back at the 120's in the near future maybe, just depends on my shoulders cooperation.

That's super heavy on incline! Wow bro. You're pretty strong. I can't do that much weight anymore. Got my dumbells to 140 at one point, bench was 415 lbs, then tore my bicep! It sucked so bad. I'm like you thainitty in that I just want to be stronger and not shredded or anything. Being part Native American is super hard to shred like some of my African and European counterparts :lol

I used to do barbell bench and stopped when it messed up my shoulders and my thumb joints strangely hurt from it too and I used good form with a proper grip. I find dumbbells far more comfortable.

I don't know what my max bench could be, I'd imagine my bodyweight or over. I never understood maxing out at like 3-5 reps. I'll take time under tension over everything else.

Favourite exercise for Dellyboy is Deadlifts. You can lift some serious weight, improve your grip, work your legs and back at the same time and transform your posture. I work using a computer so it is a great exercise for me, stop me becoming all hunchback. Just started encorperating Kettle balls into my workouts, saw them being used in Kingdom (the mma drama) and they are a lot of fun, work a lot of muscles :)

Thanks shawpaw, i am trying hard but it's painful. Incline is one of my favorite chest exercises, having that upper chest makes you look beastly. Bro 140's and 415 bench!!! That's really impressive! I never went higher than 315 on flat bench but I'd rep it 6-8 times. Now like snake I can't do bench with the bar anymore I have to do Dumbbells. The way the bar locks your arms into position and doesn't allow for natural motion just messes my elbow up. Yeah I agree about repetition vs a single push, I'd never tried single rep max.....I should have before I got all messed up, maybe in the future.

Did back today, slowly getting back into deadlifting...forgot how hard that was haha dellyboy I know a lot people that love deadlifting, for me I like it but I am not in love with it. I just use deadlift as another exercise to add to the back day repertoire.

2 more weeks of 5 days a week. Put on some more mass.

IMG_4185.jpg

Thanks shawpaw, i am trying hard but it's painful. Incline is one of my favorite chest exercises, having that upper chest makes you look beastly. Bro 140's and 415 bench!!! That's really impressive! I never went higher than 315 on flat bench but I'd rep it 6-8 times. Now like snake I can't do bench with the bar anymore I have to do Dumbbells. The way the bar locks your arms into position and doesn't allow for natural motion just messes my elbow up. Yeah I agree about repetition vs a single push, I'd never tried single rep max.....I should have before I got all messed up, maybe in the future.

Did back today, slowly getting back into deadlifting...forgot how hard that was haha dellyboy I know a lot people that love deadlifting, for me I like it but I am not in love with it. I just use deadlift as another exercise to add to the back day repertoire.

I'd like to know what my max is, but I'd only be able to try that with a straight bar... but again, I go back to it aggravating my shoulders. I stopped using the straight bars years ago and went to dumbbells and both of them would aggravate my thumb joint. Then I discovered grips you can put on them that give a more natural grip with it wide in the middle. Completely stopped the pain and I can control the weight better now.

2 more weeks of 5 days a week. Put on some more mass.

View attachment 340766

You're getting there!

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 6.23.25 PM.jpg

You could always start with sumo deadlifts. You'll get more out of your sessions by doing compounds...and sumo's are a bit easier. I love deadlifting. Especially during a bulking phase. I love pulling heavier. I do have weak grip strength, though. I do not pull over/under I pull double overhand because I don't like having my shoulder out. So I lift with Versa Gripps as you can see in the picture. Ignore my garage... I still have to put all of the crap in the attic above.

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 10.34.56 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah snake, that straight bar is a shoulder and elbow killer!! I'm dumbbells only (straight bar once in a while). I've heard a lot of good things about those fat grips but I've also heard they can cause arthritis. Who knows, everything is bad for you nowadays. Glad you were able to figure a way around the thumb pain.

Buffy, I did try some sumos last week and they are easier but the stance feels so awkward to me. I did manage 365lbs four times with no straps over/under grip. I could have done more but I'm taking it slow. I just don't like straps because I want to challenge my grip strength at the same time. I know grip is the weak link but I still don't like straps...maybe if I get into the 500 range I'll strap. I like farmer carries to help increase grip strength too. Do you compete Buffy?

Yeah snake, that straight bar is a shoulder and elbow killer!! I'm dumbbells only (straight bar once in a while). I've heard a lot of good things about those fat grips but I've also heard they can cause arthritis. Who knows, everything is bad for you nowadays. Glad you were able to figure a way around the thumb pain.

Buffy, I did try some sumos last week and they are easier but the stance feels so awkward to me. I did manage 365lbs four times with no straps over/under grip. I could have done more but I'm taking it slow. I just don't like straps because I want to challenge my grip strength at the same time. I know grip is the weak link but I still don't like straps...maybe if I get into the 500 range I'll strap. I like farmer carries to help increase grip strength too. Do you compete Buffy?

If I don't use my grips, my lifts are about 10lbs lighter. I can lift 225 with alternate grip on the bar and no 'straps/gripps' but not double overhand, which I prefer.

I do not compete, not for me. I lift weights to better my body and to eat more food. Cause who the hell wants to always be in a deficit. No thanks. :p

What is your caloric intake with the weight training, Buff? I used to down 8k+ per day for bulk. Now I just wish I could eat 8k/day and not workout :lol

Back