The Sandman - Netflix Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished the series and E8 thru 10 when they introduce Rose was such a bore and tonal shift from the previous episodes. If S2 is like the last 3 episodes them I am skipping it. I also agree that Patton Oswalt's annoying voice took me out of the show everytime he talks. His acting seemef like he was in a voice booth and reading lines instead of interacting with other characters.

Also did anyone else think the Desire actor as a great Joker? He has that scary crazy smile like some of those fan made YouTube videos that really works.

He's no Alan Moore is he? 😉
No, but that's like comparing Andy Warhol or Jackson Pollock to da Vinci or Van Gogh. I doubt we'll ever see another comic writing genius like Alan Moore. In fairness, Gaiman's films and TV shows are, at least, way way better than attempts to adapt Moore's works. That may have more than a little to do with their relative involvement, though. One of the more successful efforts may have been the short-lived Swamp Thing TV series (recent one), but even there it was pretty lacking in my opinion.

I loved the casting for this show. It couldn't be any more perfect.

If I had to quibble, I'm not sure the modern day, female Constantine matches the spirit of John in the comics. Though they portray her as having demons (figuratively), she seemed too well put together. She was beautiful and polished, like someone who could have walked right out of a Revlon ad. I didn't care for the Keanu Reeves movie, but I did like that they portrayed him as a highly troubled, world weary, borderline suicidal character. They could have done that with a female, but maybe someone like Janeane Garofalo or Tig Notaro would have worked better in my opinion. I guess you can't go wrong casting a good looking person over someone less good looking, though.

I loved the casting for this show. It couldn't be any more perfect.
Well I pretty much loved it. Thought the Vortex actress could have been better and was a bit slow here and there, but overall it was like a fine meal. D@mn I'd forgotten what a great writer working as showrunner plus perfect casting was like. Ended up binging the whole thing over 2 nights.

Then don't, and let people who enjoy something enjoy it.

Everyone is free to enjoy this series as much as they want. I hope they enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the original comic books, but I don't see how that's possible.

How does my disgust for this series possibly impact anyone else's enjoyment?

Why do I have to repress my disappointment, but heaping praise is encouraged?

Everyone is free to enjoy this series as much as they want. I hope they enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the original comic books, but I don't see how that's possible.

How does my disgust for this series possibly impact anyone else's enjoyment?

Why do I have to repress my disappointment, but heaping praise is encouraged?

You already shared your disappointment in a very lengthy post earlier, so no one is "repressing" your disappointment. Now you are jumping on people's comments about enjoying something and repeating your disappointment. Which is kind a poor look on your part. If you really wanted them to enjoy it you wouldn't have jumped on their positive post with your negative one.

Out of all the comments you could of picked another person who also didn't like the series, and the two of you could of had a mutual appreciation of disappointment conversation. Instead you jumped on someone's positive post about the series and added nothing to the conversation except that you "disagree with them". That's a pretty troll like thing to do. That's probably what you were going for anyways. I mean why else go to a forum topic of a show you dislike and continually post about how you don't like it while quoting people's post who do like it?

No, but that's like comparing Andy Warhol or Jackson Pollock to da Vinci or Van Gogh. I doubt we'll ever see another comic writing genius like Alan Moore. In fairness, Gaiman's films and TV shows are, at least, way way better than attempts to adapt Moore's works. That may have more than a little to do with their relative involvement, though. One of the more successful efforts may have been the short-lived Swamp Thing TV series (recent one), but even there it was pretty lacking in my opinion.
I know, unfair comparison.

I enjoyed all of moore's adaptations for better or worse, due mainly to the excellent writing shining through. I know gaiman is incredibly popular, I just don't think he's for me lol

I haven't started the sandman series yet though

Even League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? I'm as big of an Alan Moore fan as there is, but man. . .
It's definitely not a good film

This car though
Nemo-Nautilus-cover.jpg

You already shared your disappointment in a very lengthy post earlier, so no one is "repressing" your disappointment. Now you are jumping on people's comments about enjoying something and repeating your disappointment. Which is kind a poor look on your part. If you really wanted them to enjoy it you wouldn't have jumped on their positive post with your negative one.

Out of all the comments you could of picked another person who also didn't like the series, and the two of you could of had a mutual appreciation of disappointment conversation. Instead you jumped on someone's positive post about the series and added nothing to the conversation except that you "disagree with them". That's a pretty troll like thing to do. That's probably what you were going for anyways. I mean why else go to a forum topic of a show you dislike and continually post about how you don't like it while quoting people's post who do like it?

If you find my opinions so distasteful, perhaps you should ignore me. Unless of course you think I shouldn't have the right to state my opinions? Should I be banned because I don't like a TV show?

You're the one that took something I said and decided to make a big fuss out of it. That's a pretty troll thing to do. That's probably what you were going for anyways.

If you find my opinions so distasteful, perhaps you should ignore me. Unless of course you think I shouldn't have the right to state my opinions? Should I be banned because I don't like a TV show?

You're the one that took something I said and decided to make a big fuss out of it. That's a pretty troll thing to do. That's probably what you were going for anyways.
The dozens of sheep and that cabin in a secluded part of the woods is looking good right now huh? Canada isn’t so bad. I’ll help you pack if you want. Then you’ll be free! From all media and new age innovation. Just you and your great memories of the 80s relaxing in a cabin and searing sheep.

That sounds great.....except I don't like what you're insinuating about sheep.

I'm not from New Zealand, after all.

If I had to quibble, I'm not sure the modern day, female Constantine matches the spirit of John in the comics. Though they portray her as having demons (figuratively), she seemed too well put together. She was beautiful and polished, like someone who could have walked right out of a Revlon ad. I didn't care for the Keanu Reeves movie, but I did like that they portrayed him as a highly troubled, world weary, borderline suicidal character. They could have done that with a female, but maybe someone like Janeane Garofalo or Tig Notaro would have worked better in my opinion. I guess you can't go wrong casting a good looking person over someone less good looking, though.

Agreed. Thats the only miss for me in casting so far. Everyone else is fine. I really liked whomever played Death in particular.

Overall, the show has been kinda peaks and valleys for me. I really dug the more twilight zone-esque episodes of 5 and 6 (despite a strictly shock value ending to 5 imo.) Others, have been kinda dull to be honest.

Not quite finished with it yet, but i'm enjoying the peaks enough that I'm looking to finish out the whole season.

Agreed. Thats the only miss for me in casting so far. Everyone else is fine. I really liked whomever played Death in particular.

Overall, the show has been kinda peaks and valleys for me. I really dug the more twilight zone-esque episodes of 5 and 6 (despite a strictly shock value ending to 5 imo.) Others, have been kinda dull to be honest.

Not quite finished with it yet, but i'm enjoying the peaks enough that I'm looking to finish out the whole season.
Besides my appreciation of the cast - I don't have the right words for it, but love the way this was filmed, the color palette and the aesthetics. There's an almost tactile, velvet quality to certain scenes, at least for me. Surreal, strange, and beautiful. For me it's also - perfect. I know there was something done with the aspect ratio.
Plus the cast interviews are a rare pleasure; e.g. passionate about what they are doing and the interest in their characters. I was even happy to learn real ravens were used, as well as CGI.

Back