The officially unofficial Grey Hulk thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newsletter for past few week established pattern: pre-order date/time given.

With the recent Star Wars and Lord of the Rings 12" figures, and with the PF Lurtz, they did indeed announce a specific Priority Preorder time. At the time of the initial preview (released in the newsletter the week prior to the figure going on sale), below the preview image for those items was the now standard explanation about how Priority Preordering works, and what time it was scheduled to begin the following week. The following Wednesday, a flash email was sent out for each of those items further explaining the Priority Preorder process.

With other items, Skinner for example, a preview is released WITHOUT information regarding Priority Preorder, because it will just be receiving the regular preorder treatment, going up for sale with the release of the newsletter. Indeed, Skinner went up for sale the week after his preview, on Thursday night when the newsletter was released.

When we first saw a preview for the Hulk/Spidey diorama, it was a standard preview--there was no mention of a Priority Preorder window. The following Wednesday, there was no flash e-mail about any Priority Preordering timeframe. Therefore, I assumed that the diorama would be receiving the standard release treatment given to the majority of items--a preorder beginning with the release of the newsletter. Thankfully, we no longer have to wait for the newsletter to be delivered, but can read it online on Thursday nights, as with the Skinner newsletter the previous week. That is exactly what happened.

Sideshow did not deviate from their established routine. I think the problem was that many assumed that every new item will receive the Priority Preorder treatment, and that is not the case. I assume that every release will be standard (not Priority Preorder) unless I am told otherwise by Sideshow. With the Hulk diorama, we were not told otherwise.

daelith said:
3) Newsletter posted, but because we're conditioned to assume any pre-orders would occur on Friday, some read through newsletter to check out Sideshow's other cool stuff and actually miss the order even though they USED the newsletter. Newsletter in this instance actually DID the exact opposite of its intended purpose, no?

Actually, for the past couple of weeks preorders have started on Thursday night presumably in order to get them out of the way while the focus on Friday could be left for whatever Priority Preorder figure was going up. Again a move to help ease the congestion on the site and aide in the priority preorders.

Just because someone overlooked the info in the newsletter can't put any blame on Sideshow. That simply means that person should pay more attention next time. The information was there for the taking, where's the argument here?

Morris Fletcher said:
Ah, but a "casual" fan isn't likely to drop $300+ on a HUGE diorama statue anyway. ;)

I said Casual Sideshow Marvel fan/customer :naughty

That's a whole other type of person/collector already looking at high ticket items. $300 is your average price nowadays it seems for a Sideshow 1/4 PF, Poly or Vs item.

oxbeard said:
Actually, for the past couple of weeks preorders have started on Thursday night presumably in order to get them out of the way while the focus on Friday could be left for whatever Priority Preorder figure was going up. Again a move to help ease the congestion on the site and aide in the priority preorders.

Just because someone overlooked the info in the newsletter can't put any blame on Sideshow. That simply means that person should pay more attention next time. The information was there for the taking, where's the argument here?

Thanks Ox!!!! This is what I've basically been saying the entire time. Unless we've been told the item is getting priority pre-order it's been going up for sale Thursday night when the newsletters been coming out. Another thing I've been saying don't blame SS for overlooking the info in the newsletter or podcast. One final thing please please please don't blame SS because you where in asleep in whatever part of the Eu your in. They've explained why they do what they do. Sorry you live in another part of the world but that's life.:D

jlcmsu said:
Thanks Ox!!!! This is what I've basically been saying the entire time. Unless we've been told the item is getting priority pre-order it's been going up for sale Thursday night when the newsletters been coming out. Another thing I've been saying don't blame SS for overlooking the info in the newsletter or podcast. One final thing please please please don't blame SS because you where in asleep in whatever part of the Eu your in. They've explained why they do what they do. Sorry you live in another part of the world but that's life.:D

Why would you be sorry that i live outside the US? I'm very happy to live here in Ireland.

jlcmsu said:
As the old saying goes ya snooze ya loose. I think Matt said it the best that people who took the time to listen to the podcast where given a great hint to be on the look for something. The people listening to that are most likely as loyal a customer as those that don't. So they got rewarded for taking the time. With regards to being fair to all time zones well sorry they are a US company trying to put things up that not only match the world but the US as well. If some outside the US can't handle that well I'm sorry but hey it happens. I also agree with another poster that it's really rude and arrogant for people to think SS should bend to their personal need. That's what I keep seeing more and more though. Could this have possibly been handled a little better of course I'm sure there is something in this whole mess that coule have been, but for some to have said the things they've said is just utter bull.

Well, with that kind of statement I sure as heck don't feel bad for ya now. So if your in the US like me and had to coach a basketball game and missed the announcement. That's just too freaking bad for you but since I'm a poor EU person that was a sleep feel bad for me. Give me a ******* break. Get it through your head that it went up at the best time for as many people as possible. Again they are a US COMAPNY!!! They have to try and please as many of us as possible as well. Sorry you where a sleep but if they try and do it when your brite eyed and bushy tailed someone else might be a sleep. So I ask what makes you so special?????? I won't refer to you as a cry baby since I think your posts do a good enough job for you. :D

You seem to jump on everyone who makes a valid complaint. I have no problem with the run size, i have no problem with Thursday (though i'd prefer friday) but the old letters arrived in my inbox at 12.00am (around 7.00 EST) and around (4 - 5.00 PST) i would think this is rather reasonable.

We have to sleep sometimes. And try and not make this personal. You seem to be an expert at that.:rolleyes: Lets not make this personal. I don't know you but i'm sure your a nice person. Why not try and be alittle more civil on the boards, I've never attacked anyone on here.

Last edited:
Bullseye said:
Why would you be sorry that i live outside the US? I'm very happy to live here in Ireland.

I didn't say you should be ahsamed of where you live. I said don't get pissed at SS because they posted the newsletter for the timezone they live in when it doesn't match yours exactly.

Bullseye said:
You seem to jump on everyone who makes a valid complaint. I have no problem with the run size, i have no problem with Thursday (though i'd prefer friday) but the old letters arrived in my inbox at 12.00am (around 7.00 EST) and around (4 - 5.00 PST) i would think this is rather reasonable.

I haven't jumped on anyone who made a valid point. I've said that people who want to blame SS for missing it need to look in the mirror first basically. The newsletter with items in it that have no priority pre-order has been coming out at the same time on Thursday Night. That's been my standard response to everyone with the expception of you and Dalieth. Since you two have seem to have been pretty much busting SS back on a few issues that they can only control so much of.

Bullseye said:
We have to sleep sometimes. And try and not make this personal. You seem to be an expert at that.:rolleyes: Lets not make this personal. I don't know you but i'm sure your a nice person. Why not try and be alittle more civil on the boards, I've never attacked anyone on here.

Yes, we all have to sleep sometime I agree. :D Your the one who has been making it all personal that they should have done this better to fit your personal EU schedule and said that if your in the US and missed it well too bad. Don't blame me for turing the tables a bit.:D

jlcmsu said:
I didn't say you should be ahsamed of where you live. I said don't get pissed at SS because they posted the newsletter for the timezone they live in when it doesn't match yours exactly.

I haven't jumped on anyone who made a valid point. I've said that people who want to blame SS for missing it need to look in the mirror first basically. The newsletter with items in it that have no priority pre-order has been coming out at the same time on Thursday Night. That's been my standard response to everyone with the expception of you and Dalieth. Since you two have seem to have been pretty much busting SS back on a few issues that they can only control so much of.

Yes, we all have to sleep sometime I agree. :D Your the one who has been making it all personal that they should have done this better to fit your personal EU schedule and said that if your in the US and missed it well too bad. Don't blame me for turing the tables a bit.:D

jc were you ever a member of the statueforum? Are you still a member?

Well it looks like i'm going to have to accept the new NL postal times. So thanks Chicky for coming on to explain the situation.

Bullseye said:
jc were you ever a member of the statueforum? Are you still a member?

I was. I'm not now because in a thread where the owner of the board basically said you can't talk about deals from other dealers. I said that's not really fair to the members of the board and he didn't like that opinion.

Bullseye said:
Well it looks like i'm going to have to accept the new NL postal times. So thanks Chicky for coming on to explain the situation.

:D It's all good.:D

jlcmsu said:
I was. I'm not now because in a thread where the owner of the board basically said you can't talk about deals from other dealers. I said that's not really fair to the members of the board and he didn't like that opinion.

:D It's all good.:D

In fairness to Danny it is his board. And he trys to encourage people to buy direct from him. He gives discounts and has organised an Iron Sculptor contest to get sculptors work with Sideshow along with Matt Falls. He has also organised a very nice line of exclusives (200) from Hard Hero.

Bullseye said:
In fairness to Danny it is his board. And he trys to encourage people to buy direct from him. He gives discounts and has organised an Iron Sculptor contest to get sculptors work with Sideshow along with Matt Falls. He has also organised a very nice line of exclusives (200) from Hard Hero.

That's fine and good. I would prefer not to talk about other boards business on this board.

oxbeard said:

Referring back to points #4 and #5:
4) In contrast, forum news cuts to the chase and let's people know there is an EXCLUSIVE available and even provides a direct link.
5) Let's assume a person walks in and out of his out at 5, 6, 7, 8, or pm on Thursday night, which would you recommend he do...go and check on Sideshow's site or check out the forum--when the real exclusive is only 50ES?

By saying that the "person should pay more attention next time" you're proving my point. Why read the newsletter when a direct link is provided in the forum? No need to browse through the newsletter to check out other stuff, no need to figure out hints, etc. And better yet, it won't be implied that you're somehow not intelligent to figure it out with the newsletter; just review some of the posts here to find evidence of that.

Need further proof? look at the polls here and at statueforum.com.

I'm all for the forum being valuable, but I just looked at the thread and there's no posted link - just the news that it's grey Hulk and limited to 50. I'm fairly certain that I got the last one and I had to search all around all 4 order pages (both versions, Flex and non-Flex) to find the link.

But the people that originally found it knew to look for it because of the podcast. And there wouldn't have been a link to ANY of the dio's pages without the newsletter.

So sure the forum is a good source because we all want to share information, but it's really the newsletter (and in this case the podcast) that is the source of the info.

...he quietly sneaks into the thread and quickly looks around. No one is paying any attention, as they are intently viewing other posts. He is vaguely reminded of a movie theater and a thought pops into his head! But instead of shouting FIRE in this theater, he prepares to run and yells...

GRAY HULK

j/k everybody! :wacky

It seems We are going to be talking about this thing well into 2007.

I'm sure the discussion of the black symbiote suit Spidey limited to 10 will draw our attention away from grey Hulk.

People the lesson is "Life's Not Always Fair". SSC did nothing wrong. The exclusive Hulk Vs. Spider-Man Diorama was available just as they said it would be. You got your choice exclusive or regular, as advertised. A Great sculpt and low ES, just like everyone wanted.
Now, for a few attentive or lucky people, there was, for arguements sake I call it, a reward. An ultra-exclusive edition was available to buy. Before this, the Gray Hulk Version was never a topic of discussion.
People get over it. It wasn't meant to be had by all. No matter who you are; a Great Mavel/Sideshow collector or Johnny come lately. The 'Stones said it best "You Can't Always Get What You Want.":peace

Back