The official "Blu-Ray is not as good as DVD" Thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ehh. honestly as long as i can tell the difference between a guy and a girl i'm fine with either media.

now in saying that i do have blu-ray, but only for the latest action/scifi special effects movies. i have no intention of upgrading any of my older movies, unless they go on sale.
i have found some blu-rays in the $15 range.

Why don't we start a VHS is better than DVD thread or Cassette is better than CD thread

Well, DVD is an actual step up from DVD, Blu Ray is just prettier.

DVD had things no one would've dreamed of with a VHS....Blu Ray is just cool fluff.

Well, DVD is an actual step up from DVD, Blu Ray is just prettier.

DVD had things no one would've dreamed of with a VHS....Blu Ray is just cool fluff.

Actually since you have not invested in the format you are not qualified to make this statement.

PQ superior
AQ superior

Actually since you have not invested in the format you are not qualified to make this statement.

PQ superior
AQ superior

Who cares? Aside from a few new doodads, and the quailty, its not that different. Tapes Vs CDs. A little block, that you have to fast forward through, and have to flip over when you want to listen to more songs, VS a compact disc that you can get to any song on the CD anytime you need to in an instant.

VHS Vs DVD, a blocky tape, that doesnt hold a ton of film, have to fast forward to get where you want, VS a DVD which you can get to any point in the movie at anytime, plus a ton of features like commentaries, and making of's.

Very drastic things. Blu Ray is a step up of a DVD, but its in no way the "Evolution" of DVD's. That would be digital. Cuz thats the only way to go now.

There's no need to justify to those of us who love the step up that you don't think it is worth it. Have fun with your DVDs and lower quality videos.

Have fun pissing all your money away on "pretty pictures".

(Hey, you know, two can play this game. If you want insult otheres for not wanting to jump in on a new format so soon, then expect some backlash. Not that I feel this way towards Blu owners. I'm happy they can get the best quailty, if I had the cash, i'd do the same....)

WHAT !!! LOL !!

your kidding right.

I wish I could show who ever started this thread a full demostration of the huge difference from DVD and BR but since we cant I suggest you go to your local BEST BUY and HD store to get a full demostration.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I've seen Blu Ray. Other then some new features, maybe some internet crap, its the same sort of device. Disc goes in, movie is watched. Thats not evolution. More like an upgrade to me.

Not saying Blu Ray isnt better, but...I dont see the NEEEEED for it right now.

Have fun pissing all your money away on "pretty pictures".

(Hey, you know, two can play this game. If you want insult otheres for not wanting to jump in on a new format so soon, then expect some backlash. Not that I feel this way towards Blu owners. I'm happy they can get the best quailty, if I had the cash, i'd do the same....)

I do have fun since I have quite a bit to piss away. :banana:banana

Blu Ray is a step up of a DVD, but its in no way the "Evolution" of DVD's.

I think offering more than twice the resolution is an evolution...

That would be digital. Cuz thats the only way to go now.

Digital won't happen for decades. The backbone infrastructure in this country just won't allow it, and even if it did, the last-mile infrastructure is already literally a decade or more behind Japan and even they haven't managed to pull it off yet. We'll see an increasing amount of (poorly compressed) VOD but nothing comparable to the depth of the home video market for a considerable time.

There are literally billions of dollars invested against it and the carriage providers have no compelling incentive to provide it.

I see nothing wrong with Blu Rays, they look great, and I can understand the appeal. But like I said, I just dont feel like I need them at the moment. I've never been a HD nut...movie nut yes, but I dont worry about the quailty. Heck, I even watch some old VHS's from time to time. The thing is, I dont need a new tv to watch a DVD, or a new player.

But like I said, when the prices drop, and I get a TV, then i'll check out Blu Ray.

That being said...this thread is for people who DONT want it, not a thread about converting people.

Amazon will start their Black Friday sale on Blu-rays in, oh, some 20 minutes.

I just realized I already own almost a hundred titles on this format -- about all I actually want -- but there are still a couple I'm curious about. So, for those of us who aren't in the States, this might be worth checking out.

BTW, upconverted DVDs, as good as they are, always make me cry when I watch them after enjoying a well-mastered Blu-ray with lossless sound. The only problem I have with HD video is that it makes local movie theaters look positively disastrous by comparison...

Wow, The Blue-Ray elitists are out in full force. I think its funny that people are acting superior just because they have Blue-Ray. Its really not THAT much of an upgrade over DVD.

There's no need to justify to those of us who love the step up that you don't think it is worth it. Have fun with your DVDs and lower quality videos.

I think that's really what it comes down to. Some just don't care for the better PQ or AQ; they care more about the film and its substance, regardless of quality.

For me, it doesn't matter, as it's about what I like, not someone else. I really enjoy my BR's and DVD is now a non-existent format, in my eyes. You could offer me a super, ultimate, deluxe, definitive edition DVD with the most incredible packaging and extras ever, but I'd still take a single disc BR (without any extras) over the DVD any day, even if it cost me extra $$$! :horror

Back