The official "Blu-Ray is not as good as DVD" Thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread rated.....

insane_big.jpg

Probably the only things I don't like about blu ray are:

1. The excessive amount of time it takes to load a disk, and subsequently more loading time for sub menus and such.

2. The lack of certain essential titles available on the new medium. Such as Star Wars, Aliens, and the like.

But otherwise, I am still awed every time I put on a new blu ray at the quality of picture. Even after having the player for eight months now.

:D

i hate Blu-ray but i dont deny that they are better than DVD's. it is just funny how they think everybody wants to rebuy all their favorite movies every few years when a new format comes out. i'm never gonna own Blu-ray until you absolutely cannot buy anymore DVD's, which sadly enough, is probably gonna be soon.

Im only rebuying a select fw movies on BluRay.
I see no need to updating my entire catalog of movies.

But its impossible for me to not buy new special effects block busters and 3D animated movies on BluRay.
Its night and day in the clarity if you have a 1080p HDTV ....

i hate Blu-ray but i dont deny that they are better than DVD's. it is just funny how they think everybody wants to rebuy all their favorite movies every few years when a new format comes out.

I don't think they really expect that, which is the whole point of backwards compatibility and upconversion. If they wanted to force everyone into BD they'd simply stop selling DVD altogether so you wouldn't have a choice. The format will win out by virtue of natural selection - people have bigger TVs than ever and HDTV sales are rising thanks to the migration to digital in February. The fact is DVD has a certain resolution and BD has a certain resolution and this becomes apparent once your screen gets to a certain size.

If you look around you'll see BD is heavily skewed toward new releases and select catalog titles, which indicates studios know consumers are in no rush to replace their libraries.

Some fools think that upconverting DVD is as good if not better than Blu. The prices are still high yeah, but they'll come down in time as it did with DVD. Digital downloads may be the true competing HD format, but everyone I know prefers to have their movies on physical medium they can own.

Criterion is in for sure, https://www.criterion.com/blu-rayannounce.html

when DVDs first hit i started updating my VHS collection with movies that cost about $40-$50 at the time only to see these same titles drop down to under $20 shortly after. i'll probably wait for Blu-ray prices to drop down to the norm before i dive into the craze. not gonna make the same mistakes twice. plus im only buying new titles. no rebuys for me.

I wouldn't re-buy most movies either, except for stuff like SW, LOTR, Criterion, etc.

Digital downloads may be the true competing HD format, but everyone I know prefers to have their movies on physical medium they can own.

I don't see digital happening for a while. What's interesting is neither do the studios, or else they'd be plowing millions of dollars into marketing download sales. The bandwidth just isn't there.

i'll probably wait for Blu-ray prices to drop down to the norm before i dive into the craze.

Smart shoppers can find BD titles for the price of DVD. I bought the new James Bond discs for $17 each...

SW is never seeing another dime from me in the home movie department. and i'm pretty sure LOTR isn't either. i already own multiple copies of both. enough is enough.

Smart shoppers can find BD titles for the price of DVD. I bought the new James Bond discs for $17 each...
that's great but i got all 4 DVD sets for $18.00 a piece last year. that's 20 movies for under $4 each. believe it or not but they are watchable. i dont need blu-ray to enjoy them.

I've got a Sony HDMI DVD player and I love it. It upconverts the standard to 1080P or 1080I, can't remember which. The quality of the picture is absolutely amazing compared to standard DVD players.

I've got a Sony HDMI DVD player and I love it. It upconverts the standard to 1080P or 1080I, can't remember which. The quality of the picture is absolutely amazing compared to standard DVD players.
i probably got the same player. this is probably why blu-ray doesnt thrill me so much. my upconvert player really makes dvd's shine. not quite HD quality but pretty close.

Back