The Marvels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems more like a job for Michael Bay. :p

The kid with the ice cream cone.... :lol

That's the thing about Captain Marvel. It's devoid of fun. At least Bad Boys 2 was fun. Don't get me wrong, maybe The Marvels might surpass everyone's expectations, but if you are going to spend a lot of money and you don't have great actors, just consider blowing a lot of stuff up.

Not every MCU film can be CA2 - The Winter Soldier ( God, that such a good movie), there's nothing wrong with comfort food type viewing. Just my take on it.

So who's the dude with the sword? I don't recall seeing him in any of the trailers...

Park Seo-joon

Korean actor. There to appeal to foreign markets.

It's not the worst idea in the world. If Blackpink had a 20 minute cameo somewhere, foreign ticket sales would drive upwards from that alone.

Park Seo-joon

Korean actor. There to appeal to foreign markets.

It's not the worst idea in the world. If Blackpink had a 20 minute cameo somewhere, foreign ticket sales would drive upwards from that alone.
If that’s the sole criteria then they should just replace Brie with a CGI Taylor Swift and call it a day. Kamala Khan fan girling over TS is more believable anyway lol. Then the big question would be: Can Taylor Swift’s Captain Marvel beat Taylor Swift’s concert movie at the box office??

If that’s the sole criteria then they should just replace Brie with a CGI Taylor Swift and call it a day. Kamala Khan fan girling over TS is more believable anyway lol. Then the big question would be: Can Taylor Swift’s Captain Marvel beat Taylor Swift’s concert movie at the box office??

It's an interesting question. Because a MCU film starring Taylor Swift would start breaking some box office records. If it's structured like The Bodyguard ( how the script essentially shielded Whitney Houston from extending beyond her practical acting range) , then IMHO it could work. I suppose it would be tricky to take that angle since so much of it has been covered by Starlight/The Boys, but it's not inconceivable that a story about a "super hero" who lost their powers but is still world wide famous could really grab an audience. Obviously it's not the standard assembly line MCU film, but you have to play to the strengths of your performers and their limitations.

A more dramatic take on how isolating it can become to have no privacy and to be pressured to meet the expectations of the public, that can be pretty compelling if the story is simple and the audience can relate in some fashion to the lead. No one knows what it's like to be Taylor Swift, but everyone knows what it's like, at some point as an adult, to be utterly alone and feeling completely untethered.

This is where, IMHO, Joss Whedon doesn't get a lot of credit ( and even less so since his scandals, etc, etc) He puts his performers in the best position to succeed. He lets them play themselves but highlights the most useful parts to help the narrative. He focuses on playing to someone's strengths. But he's a strong enough writer to do that, most people in Hollywood can't write their characters as well as Whedon.

Whedon could have saved Captain Marvel. One could argue it would have been a better fit for him than the Avengers films.

From a marketing standpoint, a major film might be too much exposure for Swift though. It would make boatloads of cash, but it might create fractures in her overall brand. She fits the algorithms, but she doesn't naturally elicit empathy from the mainstream. And she's likely not a good enough actress to bridge that gap. Just some thoughts.

It's an interesting question. Because a MCU film starring Taylor Swift would start breaking some box office records. If it's structured like The Bodyguard ( how the script essentially shielded Whitney Houston from extending beyond her practical acting range) , then IMHO it could work. I suppose it would be tricky to take that angle since so much of it has been covered by Starlight/The Boys, but it's not inconceivable that a story about a "super hero" who lost their powers but is still world wide famous could really grab an audience. Obviously it's not the standard assembly line MCU film, but you have to play to the strengths of your performers and their limitations.

A more dramatic take on how isolating it can become to have no privacy and to be pressured to meet the expectations of the public, that can be pretty compelling if the story is simple and the audience can relate in some fashion to the lead. No one knows what it's like to be Taylor Swift, but everyone knows what it's like, at some point as an adult, to be utterly alone and feeling completely untethered.

This is where, IMHO, Joss Whedon doesn't get a lot of credit ( and even less so since his scandals, etc, etc) He puts his performers in the best position to succeed. He lets them play themselves but highlights the most useful parts to help the narrative. He focuses on playing to someone's strengths. But he's a strong enough writer to do that, most people in Hollywood can't write their characters as well as Whedon.

Whedon could have saved Captain Marvel. One could argue it would have been a better fit for him than the Avengers films.

From a marketing standpoint, a major film might be too much exposure for Swift though. It would make boatloads of cash, but it might create fractures in her overall brand. She fits the algorithms, but she doesn't naturally elicit empathy from the mainstream. And she's likely not a good enough actress to bridge that gap. Just some thoughts.

Uh, my post wasn't even remotely serious lol....

IMG_8083.jpeg

Is this movie about an angry cosplayer?

As soon as Kamala Khan was cast, it made any narrative lean towards satire/breaking the 4th wall.

This could very well end up more in the tone of Galaxy Quest, without the best parts of Galaxy Quest. GQ was willing to laugh at itself. I'm not sure The Marvels is completely willing to do the same. GQ also had a much stronger acting corps.

I actually like Iman Vellani. She plays a Super Fan, but it's very organic and genuine. It's not for everyone but at least it shifts away from the packaged assembly line current MCU character cutouts. I can root for Kamala Khan. Not so much for Larson and Parris.

If this film manages to break through against all odds, I'll still hold to the belief that it can only happen if Vellani carries it all on her back. She's the only main cast member that you can absolutely guarantee won't mail it all in. ( Samuel L Jackson just plain gave up years ago, he's not even trying anymore)

Last edited:

[…]

It's an interesting question. Because a MCU film starring Taylor Swift would […].

Ah Taylor Swift :love:

It would be interesting to see her take on a cape flick type film, in my opinion. I’d be up for it! I‘ve read good word about her Eras Tour film.

Back