The LOTR Customs Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, thought this would be the best place to ask. Just wondering if anyone has any idea which outer coat Aragorn is wearing in this video? It doesn't look like the sideshow one, looks a lot better in my opinion! I initially thought it may have been the DID version, but it looks a different colour, so i'm now thinking it may have come from the Toy Biz 12" figures or something. Cheers in advance for any help anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH5DLbM4WGw

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, thought this would be the best place to ask. Just wondering if anyone has any idea which outer coat Aragorn is wearing in this video? It doesn't look like the sideshow one, looks a lot better in my opinion! I initially thought it may have been the DID version, but it looks a different colour, so i'm now thinking it may have come from the Toy Biz 12" figures or something. Cheers in advance for any help anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH5DLbM4WGw

I can't view the video here at work, but I do recall people using some of the outfit pieces and accessories from the Barbie LOTR releases.

Cheers, just had a quick look but couldn't find a barbie aragorn release other than his king costume? Thanks tho!

Looks like either a heavily altered Sideshow duster, or an entirely custom made one. It's not the DID or Toybiz.

Would've been nice if he'd kept the camera still for at least 1 second so we could see.

Thanks for the info mate. Yeah I agree! Would be nice to have a solid look at it.

Planning on getting the DID version and attempting to change the colour somehow, c-phan did this. Hope a dye will work well on the suede like material. I'd imagine it's easy to get it a black colour but to be accurate it would need a green tint to it which may be hard.

The DID duster will take paint, but I really don't think you could dye it very successfully. There's very little material to actually soak up any dye. Don't think its suede; might be what I've heard called "crushed velvet". (Not really an expert on fabric names even though I buy them all the time)

The DID duster is also very roomy, so you'll need to make alterations to get it looking right beyond just changing the color.

It's a faux suede, sometimes referred to as "suede look". I'm planning on dyeing one green, but I have my doubts as to a successful result. First, it's a synthetic fibre (which doesn't take dye nearly as well as natural). Secondly, The DiD duster is a very dark brown. Even if the green dye takes to the cloth, it will still be much darker than the film used duster and therefore need heavy paint and pastel weathering anyway.

Still, I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Finally finished my Gimli last weekend after he sat unfinished on my table for 2 years. I originally planned to attach real hair for the beard; got the braids all made just fine, but the hair just wouldn't glue well to the Toybiz head, so I gave up. I was trying to make the head look as little like the Toybiz one as possible - after they double dipped on that headsculpt so many times in the 6" scale, I just didn't want to look at it in my 1/6 collection. So what I finally decided to do was combine an altered DiD beard with the Toybiz head. I was able to salvage the original real hair braids for the two small "nose" pieces that peek out behind the beard and the ponytail in back. Rest of the figure follows the standard recipe with an extensively retailored DiD outfit.

gimli11.JPG

gimli3.JPG

gimli2.JPG

scale comparison:
gimli4.JPG

I love this piece...Fits right in with the older Sideshow/Weta pieces

Bumping this thread (looks like I was the last to use it too) to share a few new pics. I started work on custom Hobbits back during the summer and have had Bilbo finished for a while. Merry was done then too, but sat headless until this weekend when I finally decided to paint him up and get him off the to-do list.

Bilbo is the typical recipe, but I did extra alterations on the Toybiz clothing. The pack is scratch-built using Frodo's as a base; it's not quite finished yet - I need to add side pockets and a few accessories.
bilbo2.JPG
bilbo1.JPG

bilbo6.JPG

I didn't go the dye route on Merry's clothes, but instead built most of them from scratch. I actually had attempted to do a Merry custom back in 2003 with the Toybiz figure, but it never came together. However, I salvaged the coat I made for that one and reworked it to fit the Sideshow Hobbit body. Shirt is Sams. Pants are Frodos, extended with a second pair. Cloak is an altered DiD one.

A Fellowship Pippin and Gondor Armor Pippin are next on the to-do list.
merry7.JPG
merry6.JPG

merry4.JPG
merry1.JPG

Last edited:
I didn't go the dye route on Merry's clothes, but instead built most of them from scratch. I actually had attempted to do a Merry custom back in 2003 with the Toybiz figure, but it never came together. However, I salvaged the coat I made for that one and reworked it to fit the Sideshow Hobbit body. Shirt is Sams. Pants are Frodos, extended with a second pair. Cloak is an altered DiD one.

A Fellowship Pippin and Gondor Armor Pippin are next on the to-do list.

Wow! Nice job on Merry! I've been waiting to see a properly done Meriodoc Brandybuck (as well as Pippin) since Sideshow cancelled the line. Awesome job, man.

That is one of the nicest Merry custom figures I have ever seen, and I can't wait to see how you handle Pippin. This makes me even more sad that Sideshow never completed the fellowship with this line...

Back