The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon Prime Video - September 2, 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a fan of the casting so far...
Galadriel and Elrond really don't look as imposing and interesting as Cate Blanchett and Hugo Weaving, and the rest don't seem very charismatic overall.
Let's wait and see...
It's funny how seeing all these different ethnicities makes you realise just how "white" the LOTR saga is... except for the baddies of course :lol

I wonder if most of the hatred from those people is because they didn't make the cast 100% Lilly white.

Not a fan of the casting so far...
Galadriel and Elrond really don't look as imposing and interesting as Cate Blanchett and Hugo Weaving, and the rest don't seem very charismatic overall.
Let's wait and see...
It's funny how seeing all these different ethnicities makes you realise just how "white" the LOTR saga is... except for the baddies of course :lol

I made you wonder why Hollywood, progressive Hollywood, never adapts African American stories or books or tales or myths or anything. nothing new. why are they remaking snow white or adapting lord of the rings again. why remake and reboot over and over and over. why? why is it always the same stuff over and over.

I made you wonder why Hollywood, progressive Hollywood, never adapts African American stories or books or tales or myths or anything. nothing new. why are they remaking snow white or adapting lord of the rings again. why remake and reboot over and over and over. why? why is it always the same stuff over and over.
But if they were to do it, they'd ensure that it's 100% authentic to the source material and all characters will be cast with actors of African descent. The same applies to Asian stories.

I wonder if most of the hatred from those people is because they didn't make the cast 100% Lilly white.
It's because they're not being authentic to the source material and intent of Tolkein. It doesn't help when they say that it's natural to have the cast reflect current times, because Middle Earth and 21st Century US/UK are obviously so comparable. The other aspect is that we all know they wouldn't dare do this to an African or Asian equivalent.

But if they were to do it, they'd ensure that it's 100% authentic to the source material and all characters will be cast with actors of African descent. The same applies to Asian stories.

we have to wait and see (like I always say in the Batman thread)

but yes, I really wonder how much they will mess up here by changing things.
it depends, we will see. can't get too modern

we have to wait and see (like I always say in the Batman thread)

but yes, I really wonder how much they will mess up here by changing things.
it depends, we will see. can't get too modern
Agreed. I'm willing to give it a chance, and the race changes, as annoying as they are, have to be accepted these days, otherwise we'd have nothing to watch in terms of English language Western entertainment. What's more important to me is they don't modernise it too much and start throwing in contemporary left-wing political themes in there. I'm not hard right or anything, but they never do it subtlety, and it's always executed with the grace of a sledgehammer. Just tell the story dammit!

As mentioned in the Batman thread, I've bought my tickets for the opening weekend, so definitely willing to give it a go.

Agreed. I'm willing to give it a chance, and the race changes, as annoying as they are, have to be accepted these days, otherwise we'd have nothing to watch in terms of English language Western entertainment. What's more important to me is they don't modernise it too much and start throwing in contemporary left-wing political themes in there. I'm not hard right or anything, but they never do it subtlety, and it's always executed with the grace of a sledgehammer. Just tell the story dammit!

As mentioned in the Batman thread, I've bought my tickets for the opening weekend, so definitely willing to give it a go.

like someone said. it looks made for tv.
even the white actors look lame

The problem is everything has to be diverse with race today. I'd rather they made ALL the Elves or ALL the dwarfs black. Not every fantasy species has to be multi racial like humans FFS. It's so ridiculous and unrealistic.

Anything ever depicted on screen now, whether fantasy or alien, that has a "white" race must also have an accompanying "black" race or any other mix like Asian. Give me blue, purple, orange, whatever... But make them all look the same.

The problem is everything has to be diverse with race today. I'd rather they made ALL the Elves or ALL the dwarfs black. Not every fantasy species has to be multi racial like humans FFS. It's so ridiculous and unrealistic.

Anything ever depicted on screen now, whether fantasy or alien, that has a "white" race must also have an accompanying "black" race.
Agreed, pandering to diversity above all else kills the verisimilitude and takes me right out of the supposed fantasy "world" that they are trying to create.

Anything ever depicted on screen now, whether fantasy or alien, that has a "white" race must also have an accompanying "black" race or any other mix like Asian. Give me blue, purple, orange, whatever... But make them all look the same.

extremely true.

I have no problem with black elves. Don’t see why anyone would. If it comes down to a person not liking it because they are tired of “wokeness” or “diversity” in their entertainment… well that’s when it becomes more challenging to keep the dialog civil.

I'm much more worried with the tone, the written dialogue, I'll be much more worried by the direction given and the acting style of everybody.

my biggest worry is not the actors, is the producers and writers. look at 2016 ghostbusters. that movie was literally ruined by the script. they could have hired Ben stiller and Jonah hill for that ghostbusters and it would still be terribly written. would still be terrible.

Back