The "I've Seen Indy IV" Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Seretur is saying that he's not a "fanboy" predisposed to love it, and that in any event some folks will love this film and some will find fault with it.

Now quit worrying and make your plans to go see it!!! :joy

Oh, and order some Sideshow Indy stuff by Trevor Grove while you're at it...

I think Seretur is saying that he's not a "fanboy" predisposed to love it, and that in any event some folks will love this film and some will find fault with it.

Now quit worrying and make your plans to go see it!!! :joy

Oh, and order some Sideshow Indy stuff by Trevor Grove while you're at it...

Well, in that instance I would agree that his eyes are a bit more open than your normal fanboy. As much as I love Indy if its not what I want I'll say it but based on what you folks have said my gut feeling will be right on track.

My ticket has been purchased for a week, SS items ordered for a while, etc. etc. etc. :rock

I'm just saying that I do have the professional competence of a film critic to uphold here, and I'm not going to ruin it by rooting for a flawed movie.

But while I admire the film coolly, I also love it as a lifelong fan -- the fan I've managed to keep inside me long after many of my colleagues lost it.

I watched both this and the Iron Man press screenings with a colleague who used to love genre entertainment, but now that he works for a major newspaper he's full of pronouncements like "trivial" when it comes to these films.

Films his younger, less embittered self would have loved.

And we all like different films, which is one of the tricks of the film critic's trade. The best you can do is lay out your arguments for liking a particular film as clearly as possible, and hope that they convince. While appreciating the fact that some people are just wired differently than you.

I'm just saying that I do have the professional competence of a film critic to uphold here, and I'm not going to ruin it by rooting for a flawed movie.

I don't think you would ruin anything by liking a movie that had some flaws. I guess I'm glad I'm just a movie fan so I can go about enjoying my movies without nitpicking them to death. I do know where you are coming from I have a hard time watching sports on TV especially Baseball & Basketball because I start picking apart what the coaches are doing (being one myself).

Then you must not root for any movie, then. Show me a movie without any flaws at all... and I'll show you the pot of gold at the end of the same Rainbow that Dorothy sang about.

Then you must not root for any movie, then. Show me a movie without any flaws at all... and I'll show you the pot of gold at the end of the same Rainbow that Dorothy sang about.

It's a short list I'm sure, but Casablanca is the first one that comes to mind.

I'm not generally a fan of romantic comedies or "chick flix" or teen sex farces but I can certainly tell a well crafted one from a turkey. I think I can tell the same for movies I am a fan of.

The fan in me will definitely enjoy this Indy film even if the story is lame. Whether it's just a good film or a great film I think will come down to the pacing, if the jokes are solid or corny and slapsticky, if Mutt is likeable, if the supernatural skull stuff is ridiculous or not, and to a lesser extent if it looks plasticy and CGish.

Having trouble getting a sitter, for Thursday, but the wife and I will definitely get to a showing this weekend. The generally good reviews among the professional critics predisposed to trash big-budget fun movies had me feeling good. Reading the spoiler-free reviews here from fellow Indy fans has me almost crazed to see this.

I wish my oldest daughter was a little older, so I could take her. She's just turning 5, which is a few years younger than when my dad took me to see Raiders in the theater. Maybe after seeing it, I'll reconsider.

There isn't any significant blood and gore here, so that's a plus for taking a not-yet-5-year-old.

There is one quite gruesome death, though. Beautifully gruesome in the truest Indy tradition, but still.

However, much of what happens for the first hour or so will probably fly over the little one's head. Except for the prairie dogs.

Also, could such a small child have the attention span necessary to sit for two hours in a movie theater?

I can't see it if I don't bring my kids (4 and 6), so I am going to be prepared to cover their eyes during scary parts. I hope there aren't to many "Boo" moments I won't be prepared for. Is the gruesome death something we see coming by a second or two?

My kids sat very well through Speed Racer and Prince Caspian, both of which were longer than Indy IV--Caspian by a good twenty minutes.

I don't typically bring my kids to a PG-13 mvie I haven't previewed but I don't want to wait a week to see Indy because I don't have a sitter. (All the sitters are going to the beach for Memorial Day weekend.) Give me the bad parent award if you must, but I'm going to sit there and cover their eyes if that's what it takes to see it opening weekend. They are well behaved and won't get up and walk around the theater or make noise, so it won't ruin the experience for others--which is important to me.

I *may* get to see it at a screening tonight... *crosses fingers*

Watch for the official SideshowDusty review if so! ;)

I hope I think it's as good as you guys say!! :chew I have very low expectations so I'm sure I will at the minimum find it a fun ride and it'll be nice to see the whip and the hat back in action... and you know me and Shia are BFF :lol

I simply do not understand all of the Shia hate... especially after TRANSFORMERS, where he was by far the best thing that was not a CG robot.

I enjoy watching Shia. Good actor and funny! Sorry haters :monkey3

Megan Fox was the next best thing, though. Terrible actress. Wonderful to look at.

Megan Fox is a terrible actress! No! Say it ain't so!

Also, Dusty, you and Shia... who would've thought. Perhaps it's the monkeys.

As for the gruesome death -- I actually think I'd be amazed more than horrified to see it as a 5-year-old, especially if my dad insisted he bring me to all those big movies you mention. It's at the tail end of the ants sequence, which is actually amazing. So put two and two together and figure out what happens -- this thing is a bit more prolonged than the old mauled-by-propellers or crushed-by-rock-crusher bits. It might be as cool as the melting heads, though.

The thing is, the final half hour of this movie is such eye candy that the kids will just be staring at the screen in amazement, regardless of their ability to comprehend the purpose of it all. (It also flies over the head of half my colleagues. Their fault for not reading up on their occult lore.) Also, compared to the spectacle this film ends with, all other Indy films seem small.

It's still not the best film, as Raiders is shot for shot and line for line perfect, but other than that, it's the best time you'll have at the movies this year.

Back