The "I've Seen Indy IV" Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw it at a mega-ultra-top-secret press screening.

They even made us leave our cellphones outside in little tagged bags. First time I ever saw that happen.

And I sat down comfortably, saw the Lucasfilm logo come up against black, and then the OLD Paramount logo, which turned into... no, not the map from the trailers.

And it was FUN from the first shot, and remained FUN for the duration. As the movie was winding down, spectacular and intriguing and thoroughly satisfying, I felt awful -- it was ending! It was ending! And I didn't ever want it to end!

It's a different movie to the previous three, in a way -- more mature is the right word, I guess. But it's also a grand, grand Indiana Jones adventure.

Can't wait to see it again -- tomorrow night, at a midnight screening with an actual audience. Can't believe these sourpuss critics here didn't want to clap as the credits rolled! Left to my own devices, I'd probably spend a good half of the film audibly agreeing with the proceedings.

One thing to remember: For the first time in the series since Raiders, none of the characters is an embarrassing idiot. Also for the first time since then, Indy is an actual archaeologist here.

Right on.

Okay, now that I've read through this thread, all I can say is -- Gruff is RIGHT on the money, and as eloquent as any critic. More so than the vast majority of the ones featured on Rotten Tomatoes. Also more insightful.

So it's good to have you here, Gruff! :)

Irish -- this is much, much better than TLC. For the reasons I outlined above, and also because this is the first Indy movie since Raiders that's not an exercise in genre for genre's sake (and I'm saying this as an unabashed ToD fan). It actually takes place in a real world, with real people populating it, with no sneering, mustache-twirling villains, or two-dimensional heroes.

I was also quite amazed at how vast that world felt. You know how sequels tend to develop their inner self-referentiality to the point where a fourth installment can hardly ever be more than a rehash of what had gone before? Yeah, none of that here. You get to learn more about what Indy did in the intervening years (and hear him talk about one of his Young Indy adventures!), and you get more glimpses into the secret history of archeology and science than you can shake a stick at.

And Lucas weaves the many disparate bits of the Crystal Skull lore into an amazing tapestry. But more than anything, I was impressed by how well Koepp has written the entire thing. When he said he didn't write a fan script, he really meant it -- and the fans should be very grateful to him for that. His plotting is more organic than Jeffrey Boam's, and he never resorts to having his characters speak in quips and one-liners, the bane of modern blockbuster writing.

Can't WAIT to see it again. Hopefully it will come to the local digital cinema, though -- it was done in full DI via eFilm, and the 35mm print we saw of it was grainy, overcontrasty, and out of focus. It's mostly the fault of our own projectionists, but digital screenings take most of their errors out of the equation. Well, if anything, it'll look brilliant on Blu-ray later on.

And the art direction is so good, and the level of detail in the money shots so stupenduous, you really owe it to yourself to see it in highest quality possible.

I wouldn't count on it, Josh.

If TLC is your #1, then it must be that you love the jokes and the interplay that TLC is so abundant in. This isn't a jokey film, and its overall tone is vastly different.

It's much, much closer to my idea of an Indiana Jones film than TLC was, though.

;)

I liked LC for those reasons (though I dont think it was THAT jokey), the religious aspect of it, and the father/son stuff (I'm very close to my Dad). Raiders is very close to LC as far as my faves go so I have no doubts I will end up liking KOTCS. Honestly, to me none of the Indy films are bad they all pretty much rock and are classics in my eyes.

It's good to hear that it's not super jokey like TLC.

But surely there must be something in the film people didn't care for? I guess in the spoiler review thread when that pops up.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to dislike the film at all, but there are very very few films I would consider perfect. Plot holes aside, Raiders is pretty damn close. I'm very happy most reviews from other, possibly less biased :D, sites I've read seem to enjoy it, but I'm a bit dubious about any gushing reviews for big fan base films like this one.

just booked my tickets for midnight tomorrow at the imax and today watched the whole trilogy. I can't wait for this ! :rock

The gushing bit comes from the relief of having seen that they did it right after a 19-year-long wait.

Everything else I wrote -- and I'm sure Gruff too -- is as professional as anything you can find on the net. I've been working as a professional critic for almost 20 years, and have reported from Cannes, Berlin and Venice, worked on film festivals and whatnot. Also, with my picturesque CV, I think I've a slightly broader perspective than the people who spent most of their lives watching movies and eating Twinkies -- and developing an attitude about both.

And look. Whether you like a movie or not depends utterly on your personality, own personal history, and the approach you take to cinema in general. For some, it's entertainment they seek. For others, it's high art. For most, it's some sort of escapism. Few people go to the movies to find ideas, but that's exactly what good genre entertainment can offer (highbrow movies, you notice, rarely deal in ideas). And for me, Indy was great in all of those things (except, thankfully, high art), so that's why it gets my wholehearted recommendation.

Last edited:
Man... I can't wait. I've been a huge Indy fan since I was very young. Raiders was the film that got me interested in history and had me digging up my backyard in hopes of finding a "tomb" to explore. I saw Temple of Doom and Last Crusade in the theater, even though I was very young. Was only 3 weeks old when Raiders came out....:lol

But it has stuck with me throughout my life, and I have been following the very LONG tale of Indy IV coming to theaters. Every year I waited for the announcement that never came, each year was another tease. And to finally have it coming out, it's amazing. I walk into work at the theater and see that banner staring back at me daily and I still cannot believe it.

And like others have stated in this thread, I was one of those fanboys that left Episode I with a bad taste in my mouth.. even though I desperately wanted to love it.

So to hear that other people with my same views are loving it, it is music to my ears. But I will still remain on the fence, go into that film with an open mind, and see where it takes me. But something tells me that as soon as that Paramount logo appears onscreen..... I will probably smile and not be able to stop. :lol

Also, with my picturesque CV, I think I've a slightly broader perspective than the people who spent most of their lives watching movies and eating Twinkies -- and developing an attitude about both.

And look. Whether you like a movie or not depends utterly on your personality, own personal history, and the approach you take to cinema in general. For some, it's entertainment they seek. For others, it's high art. For most, it's some sort of escapism. Few people go to the movies to find ideas, but that's exactly what good genre entertainment can offer (highbrow movies, you notice, rarely deal in ideas). And for me, Indy was great in all of those things (except, thankfully, high art), so that's why it gets my wholehearted recommendation.

Not gonna lie you got me a bit confused here. You go about patting yourself on the back with how your perspective is better on movies than the normal movie goer, but then you say its about where you're coming from. Which is it?

Maybe, I'm totally misreading what you're saying here but I would like clarification to make sure I'm understanding things.

Back