The Future of Movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just take a look at this:

https://www.red.com/epic_scarlet/

This is the future of film, if you don't know much about cameras here's a breakdown:

These are digital film cameras, the Red One was used to film Jumper and Wanted. It shoots at 4K resolution which is the resolution most theaters display. IMAX is 7K resolution. The special thing about this is that the Red One costs $17,500 for the camera body--this is ridiculously cheap especially compared to the digital cameras used for the last Star Wars movies which cost $100,000 for each camera body and they are both high quality.

Now, here comes these new models, Scarlet, and Epic. Scarlet shoots from almost theater quality to almost IMAX quality, and the cheapest one is $2,500 (ridiculously cheap).

Here's the kicker thoug--their top model is the Epic 617, this shoots at 28,000x9334 pixels which is almost four times as many pixels of IMAX. And it's 126 times as many pixels as 1080p (Blu-Ray). The best thing about this is that it only costs $55,000 which yeah that's a lot of money, but for what it can do it could easily be a lot more than that.

And these new cameras are modular which allows them to be configured in many different ways--including a setup to film 3D. They can also be used as regular photography cameras.

So really, this means a lot for the film industry. It's good to know that once IMAX quality home video is achieved that there's still more that can be improved.

cool info. thanks ...

I know the music and movie world execs must hate the progress of technology.
Their deathgrip on the industry due to the insane cost of production isnt really that much anymore ....

... all media outlets are truly becoming an open canvas for all independent artists ...

I took a class this past summer, 3d Studio Effects. The film school we were working with was using the Red One. Very cool.

You still have to put something in front of the camera. Although digital technology is bringing those costs down too.

SCi-fi just renewed Sanctuary for another season - the first show to shoot almost exclusively with digital sets.

Not even the best technology can improve those SciFi original movies....

Yeah no kidding,
the other day I saw a part of this P.O.S.:

aztecrex.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Kya0UrTI2iY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Kya0UrTI2iY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Seriously... WTF???
Why do they produce this crappy movies when there's a lot of indie talent out there?...

I think the quailty will out due my vision. How much better can it get. And how good can the human eye see? I watch some HD "Island" shows, and I say if I were there would it look like that?

Yeah no kidding,
the other day I saw a part of this P.O.S.:

aztecrex.jpg

Seriously... WTF???
Why do they produce this crappy movies when there's a lot of indie talent out there?...

Actually part of my job is looking at independent film. There's NOT that much talent out there.

Will this actually help improve the picture quality in most movie theaters? I mean, if more and more movies are filmed on HD digital cameras, will that lead to a push for more theaters to get digital projectors? I watched The Dark Knight in IMAX, and needless to say, the IMAX scenes were amazing, but the standard film looked pretty good too (I'm assuming the standard portions were projected digitally like the IMAX portions). But then I went to see TDK in a standard theater using a regular projector and it looked like crap.

I'm really hoping that advents like these for filmmakers will help theaters and push them to adopt newer tech... but on the flip side, I hope this doesnt lead to a push for 4k resolution TVs... It's going to take the general public YEARS before they actually understand HDTV, and it's going to confuse/upset them even more if new sets are released that are 4k, uber-HD, or whatever it'll be deemed. Plus, will we even NEED that high resolution for a 42"-60" screen? I don't think we do. and I seriously doubt 100" screens will be made for the mass market.

There was a new episode of King of the Hill where the Hills bought an HDTV, and couldn't figure out how to use it because the remote had too many buttons and the tv had too many features... it was a perfect example of how inept the general public is with technology...

Back