1/6 The Dark Knight: Batmobile - Tumbler (relaunch)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Dark Knight: 1/6th scale Batmobile Collectible (relaunch)

I will have to wait till any UK dealer show it, no way I can find it in Spain...

7 billon people on Earth and HT makes, what, 5 thousand (or less) of most figures, or a couple of thousand (or less)Batmobiles?? That still seems pretty limited to me...

7 billon people on Earth and HT makes, what, 5 thousand (or less) of most figures, or a couple of thousand (or less)Batmobiles?? That still seems pretty limited to me...

That has nothing to do with it. It is the size of your target market and how much you supply for said target market. If 7 billion all wanted Hot Toys then yeah its limited. Plus you nor I know that there are 5,000 (or less) of anything that Hot Toys makes. Also, if they are creating a business model on "limited" items that they will just use old plates and re-release it, then it is surely not "limited" (ie... Mark 1 IM and now this). I really appreciate these items for what they are and the craftsmanship that goes into them and will continue to purchase the ones I want. But, I do find it odd that Priority Pre-orders do not sell out and the largest backlog of HTs inventory is now building at SSC. Pre-orders are no longer a necessity and so forth. Anyway, time tells all stories so we can all wait and see. I really hope I am wrong and we can enjoy HT's for the next 25 years:pray:

Not everyone on earth is a collector!:thwak

But there's a fundamental misunderstanding in thinking of Hot Toys products as 'high end collectibles'. They're not. Not in the same way as a limited, numbered maquette from Sideshow, or a numbered, licensed replica prop. Yes, Hot Toys items are great quality and highly detailed products, but the company is part of the mass-production toy industry, which is entirely opportunistic, meaning that the stuff will be relaunched and reissued ad infinitum according to perceived demand. These things are run off in batches of thousands on computerised production lines, and they will put as many of them out there as they can make money from. That's the company model.

Those disappointed in reissues should perhaps stick to numbered statues. The rest of us can look forward to relaunches and upgrades to the Tumbler, Robocop, ED-209, Iron Man, and anything else that Hot Toys feels like revamping. That's just how it's going to be, so best to choose one's purchases with that in mind.

When I think "High-End" I think:

1. Quality & Craftsmanship
2. Price/Value

It really has nothing to do with whether the item is numbered, or limited. That only affects "collectibility" and the secondary market, which many of us often find irrelevant.

I like items that look cool and display as close to "museum-quality" as possible. I don't really care whether or not I'm the only person on the block with it... if its high-end, it's high-end. And most of Hot Toys' products are surely high-end.

:clap :clap :clap

I wonder if DC Direct will distribute this in the US (through Diamond) like they did with the original release?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYAOT4kdPjE&feature=youtu.be

Wow had no idea the original was that big :horror

Even if this is affordable I'll have to ask myself the question of I am actually going to be able to display it (no point spending the money and keeping it in a box)

Anyone got a handy link to the guy that put his in a coffee table?

But there's a fundamental misunderstanding in thinking of Hot Toys products as 'high end collectibles'. They're not. Not in the same way as a limited, numbered maquette from Sideshow, or a numbered, licensed replica prop. Yes, Hot Toys items are great quality and highly detailed products, but the company is part of the mass-production toy industry, which is entirely opportunistic, meaning that the stuff will be relaunched and reissued ad infinitum according to perceived demand. These things are run off in batches of thousands on computerised production lines, and they will put as many of them out there as they can make money from. That's the company model.

Those disappointed in reissues should perhaps stick to numbered statues. The rest of us can look forward to relaunches and upgrades to the Tumbler, Robocop, ED-209, Iron Man, and anything else that Hot Toys feels like revamping. That's just how it's going to be, so best to choose one's purchases with that in mind.

Unless you get a defective one and then SSC tells you that they are handcrafted and stitched such as with Capt:rotfl:lol

:lecture Ah! That's right. Totally forgot about that line.

Still... I'm with Jedster... once the Tumbler was painted black and part of Batman's arsenal it's reasonable to call it the Batmobile as well.

I mean I know this is the "Nolanverse" and he often likes to ignore the more fantastical elements, but it's still Batman. It's fair to call what he drives the Batmobile, whether it's a sleek sportster, a military "tumbler", or a giant monster truck. And it's been all those things, and more.

I disagree.

I think there's a reason Nolan calls it the Tumbler and NOT the Batmobile, it's NOT a sleek sports car hybrid which we have traditionally seen in Batman films, comic books and cartoons - it is something a bit different. Calling it a Batmobile ignores that fact.

That would be like calling 'The Bat' from TDKR a Batwing.

It's NOT called Batwing and I think that's because it's not exactly like a traditional plane. It appears to be more of a hovercraft type vehicle, but I guess we'll find out when the film comes out.

Hot Toys business model is creating a bubble that I am afraid will burst. It appears they are flooding the market and eventually supply is going to outway demand (if it has not already done so) and in the end consumers will not buy something as a collectible that is going to be depreciated immediately after purchase. Collectors who want any figure will purchase on after market for below MSRP to save their hard earned money and then Hot Toys margins take a dive and they will not be able to support the massive inventories and overhead they have created and we know the rest. We have seen this too many times especially in the not so distant past with the new car market, housing market, consumer electronics market, etc.....

I am afraid you are right sir.

I disagree.

I think there's a reason Nolan calls it the Tumbler and NOT the Batmobile, it's NOT a sleek sports car hybrid which we have traditionally seen in Batman films, comic books and cartoons - it is something a bit different. Calling it a Batmobile ignores that fact.

That would be like calling 'The Bat' from TDKR a Batwing.

It's NOT called Batwing and I think that's because it's not exactly like a traditional plane. It appears to be more of a hovercraft type vehicle, but I guess we'll find out when the film comes out.

Alfred would have called it the Batmobile if it hadn't been destroyed. So he asks if Bruce wants to take the Batpod. I don't see him asking if he wanted to take the Battumbler or just the Tumbler. It would have been Batmobile. The fact is, nobody has really talked about the Tumbler since Lucius introduced us to it. If we are to believe the cops in BB, its a tank :lol

Lol....and everyone trying to sell theirs for extreme amounts of money just crumbled to the floor with tears streaming from their face.

Well they can rest assured I won't be buying a reissue. I can't stand Nolan's Batman verse anymore. "Realism" lol...more like inconceivable plot holes, and annoying changes for changes sake.

I'll stick to the 1989 Batmobile...and sideshow's comic inspired DC figures.

From THE CULT:
1988-batmobile.jpg

From THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS:
batmobile.jpg

These are also referred to as The Batmobile, and have been for over 20 years. :lecture

There are several others as well. Like this:
Batmobile_007.jpg

EDITED to add this link, which is actually a pretty darn cool site: https://www.batmobilehistory.com/2005-batmobile.php

Last edited:

IDK? But when I hear "Batmobile" my minds eye sees:

batmobile.jpg

When I hear "Tumbler" my minds eye sees:

tumbler.jpg

That has nothing to do with it. It is the size of your target market and how much you supply for said target market. If 7 billion all wanted Hot Toys then yeah its limited. Plus you nor I know that there are 5,000 (or less) of anything that Hot Toys makes. Also, if they are creating a business model on "limited" items that they will just use old plates and re-release it, then it is surely not "limited" (ie... Mark 1 IM and now this). I really appreciate these items for what they are and the craftsmanship that goes into them and will continue to purchase the ones I want. But, I do find it odd that Priority Pre-orders do not sell out and the largest backlog of HTs inventory is now building at SSC. Pre-orders are no longer a necessity and so forth. Anyway, time tells all stories so we can all wait and see. I really hope I am wrong and we can enjoy HT's for the next 25 years:pray:

That pretty much invalidates everything you said right there. It's all speculation... I'm sure HT knows exactly what they're doing business wise; they aren't doing it because the market isn't there. And it actually helps collectors and not people profiting from collectors.

Not everyone on earth is a collector!:thwak

:thwak :slap Really?

are they going to be relaunching the batpod also?

That pretty much invalidates everything you said right there. It's all speculation... I'm sure HT knows exactly what they're doing business wise; they aren't doing it because the market isn't there. And it actually helps collectors and not people profiting from collectors.

What doesn't invalidate what I have said is the extreme build-up of inventory at SSC and others. Too much supply = Too much excess inventory - regardless of the production numbers. It's not really all that difficult to see.

Hot Toys business model is creating a bubble that I am afraid will burst. It appears they are flooding the market and eventually supply is going to outway demand (if it has not already done so) and in the end consumers will not buy something as a collectible that is going to be depreciated immediately after purchase. Collectors who want any figure will purchase on after market for below MSRP to save their hard earned money and then Hot Toys margins take a dive and they will not be able to support the massive inventories and overhead they have created and we know the rest. We have seen this too many times especially in the not so distant past with the new car market, housing market, consumer electronics market, etc.....

Erm no.

Housing bubble - government interference, too many people able to buy houses that should not have been given credit - artificial demand.

Car Market - government interference + costs substantially over international competitors - programs like cash for clunkers PULL FORWARD demand (they cannot create it). - artificial demand.

Consumer Electronics - too many distributors with no point of differentiation meant some will inevitably fail. Also decreasing price per unit means decreased profit per transaction and this isn't able to be made up by an increase in turnover. Also competition from internet only businesses leads to fall in brick & mortar equivalent businesses.

I think you are severely over-estimating how many people see "limited edition" as a major point. Certainly not enough to make any significant factor on demand. The biggest risk has always been people buying them only as "investments" and not to hold, as real long term demand only includes those who wish to "own" the product.

As for over-supply - Hot Toys being a wholesaler probably has very little problems with this, as there entire stock is pretty much sold to retailers. Retailers would be the ones holding it and lose out. Production runs are set based on pre-orders from retailers. If retailers were holding too much stock they will lower their level of pre-orders on future releases bring supply & demand back into equilibrium.

The other issue that ties into HT's decision to reissue items is the fact we are starting to see black market HT stuff out there. The existence of this stuff alone will drive down secondary markets. By reissuing items that are heavily in demand HT's protects its customers, and also reduces the profit motivation of the copiers.

I think the "overstock" of HT products has more to do with how many releases are hitting the market at the same time from different 1/6th supplier more so than any true over supply of a given HT product.

Also some of them just don't appeal (New Goblin I'm looking at you!)

Back