Statue The Crack of Doom Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tomandshell said:

Truly an exceptional job sculpting such a great likeness at such a small scale.

:clap

Indeed.

Not put an order in yet but I'm tempted.

Some more environment may have been nice but then again what could it be? The lava is too far below the figures to feature so all you have is more of the causeway which would just make the piece look lopsided.

Corwin said:
Some more environment may have been nice but then again what could it be? The lava is too far below the figures to feature so all you have is more of the causeway which would just make the piece look lopsided.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've read several folks say that they wanted more enviroment on this piece. What more could they add? They pretty much fought on a big rock not much more too it. I guess they could have made the rock part wider to encompass more of the right scene, but other than that there just isn't much they could have done with it.

jlcmsu said:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've read several folks say that they wanted more enviroment on this piece. What more could they add? They pretty much fought on a big rock not much more too it. I guess they could have made the rock part wider to encompass more of the right scene, but other than that there just isn't much they could have done with it.

How about adding some more rock-ledge and a bewildered Sam? :)

All three were essential in getting the Ring destroyed.

Beren

jlcmsu said:

When I think of a VS Diorama, I have visions of the amazing Marvel pieces that have set the bar. Not that this is a bad piece, but it is disappointing when comparing the two. All of the Marvel VS Dio's were great and then they started with the bust-o-ramas. This just seems to be a step in the wrong direction.

That being said, I still think it looks nice for it's size.

I wouldn't have minded them adding Sam that would have been a nice touch but adding more rock IMO doesn't add much to this piece. Other than making it cost more.

I have the Wolverine vs Sabertooth Dio. It's bigger than this but there isn't much more to it than this. That one is strictly those two characters much as this one is strictly these two. It's a 1 on 1 battle piece if you choose to look at it that way. Otherwise there is no compairing the two other than they're both Diorama series. I disagree with it being a step in the wrong direction because it's a seperate thing than what they've done with Marvel.

This is gonna be a pretty low edition size in my opinion. Sideshow seem to be listening to fans suggestions, re lottery, priority to those who bought a prior piece in the line, and another one was not publicising the edition size prior until sold out.

This one could fall into the latter category

Absolutely pinned the likeness on this one in my opinion and the most ironic thing is that it was the smallest in scale from all the prior Frodo's we've had. I'm so so excited with this line. I'm just picking the bits and pieces i want from all the lines;

Got
Lurtz exc.
Frodo

Strider 12"
Boromir and Faramir on order
and Cavey bust,

Im also trying to track down old enviros cos can't see sideshow ever producing these as a seperate line.

I think its the best way to go (unless you can afford the lot - which is why i went on the weakest link the other day LOL - but thats another story for another day) as I don't like certain pieces, Legolas and ML bust.

But definately digging this line

There's only two things I'm not sure about....the base - yes, there is only rock that they could do but after the teasers you would have thought there'd be a bit more, and it was quite underwhelming when I saw the whole thing. I wouldn't have minded a bit more rock, to be honest, jutted out. It would have given it a much more dynamic feel, make it actually look like Gollum's going to fall off the edge.
The other thing was Frodo's weird little finger on his right hand. Why so thin? I hope I'm not being nitpicky, it was just quite noticeable, that's all.
That said, I do now have to agree with the majority and say it's a FANTASTIC likeness to Elijah. And Gollum is perfectly sculpted too.
I've ordered it in the hope there'll be a few pieces and they'll all look great, so they make me feel like I don't want to miss any!

I agree with Frodo Eyes. I was assuming that we'd get a taller piece, with the ledge kind of towering somewhat and jutting out. I think it would have made it even more dramatic.

It's marketed as a "diorama" but I'm not seeing much in the way of environment. That's what I find disappointing.

The sculpt is amazing, without a doubt. I'm blown away by how Trev managed to provide such a great likeness to Wood and Gollum, for that matter, in such a tiny scale.

And that leads us to the size. It's definitely tiny, without a doubt. Depending on the ES, this may prove to be a factor for me.

jlcmsu said:
I have the Wolverine vs Sabertooth Dio. It's bigger than this but there isn't much more to it than this. That one is strictly those two characters much as this one is strictly these two. It's a 1 on 1 battle piece if you choose to look at it that way. Otherwise there is no compairing the two other than they're both Diorama series. I disagree with it being a step in the wrong direction because it's a seperate thing than what they've done with Marvel.

I had Wolve/Sabertooth too, but really not much more going on?! The base is remarkable on that one! The snow and forest effects look incredibly real, the fallen log was painted to perfection.

As for more environment on this, it could have been elevated more, and given a great sense of depth, honestly this reminds me of:

TBZ-81570-Fa.jpg

I am definately not trying to be insulting, but it will be roughly the same size and same base. Bummer.

I ordered it! I didn't think it'd be that small though. I was hoping for more environment. That small piece of rock doesn't look very good; the sculpts on both figures are amazing. I like the price though.... $80, you can't beat that! :D

LOTRFan said:
I had Wolve/Sabertooth too, but really not much more going on?! The base is remarkable on that one! The snow and forest effects look incredibly real, the fallen log was painted to perfection.

As for more environment on this, it could have been elevated more, and given a great sense of depth, honestly this reminds me of:

I am definately not trying to be insulting, but it will be roughly the same size and same base. Bummer.

No there isn't much going on but the action between the two. The base is very nicely done I agree. However, it's still a simple base when compared to the other Marvel pieces and overall is just simply set for the scene. That's my point is overall it's a fairly simple base which is the same with this Frodo vs Gollum Dio.

They could have elevated it a bit more which of course would make it cost more.

As far as the size. It's gonna be small. No big deal there honestly. Doesn't bother me one bit. The detail appears to be really outstanding as are the likenesses. There's no compairison to that toy.

Next to Cap. vs. Red diorama, Wol. and Sabert. have the best base. There's no way in hell that the Crack of Doom base is as good as any of the Marvel pieces. The difference between them is quite vast.

carbo-fation said:
Next to Cap. vs. Red diorama, Wol. and Sabert. have the best base. There's no way in hell that the Crack of Doom base is as good as any of the Marvel pieces. The difference between them is quite vast.

The bases on the Marvel ones are awesome and more detailed than this. What I was saying in my compairison is that The Wolverine vs Sabertooth on is simple. It's snow and a log with the two fighting. The difference is it's a huge base compared to this being small. They're both simple is my point.

jlcmsu said:
As far as the size. It's gonna be small. No big deal there honestly. Doesn't bother me one bit. The detail appears to be really outstanding as are the likenesses. There's no compairison to that toy.

As expected ;) , Josh I am not comparing this to a toy. Surely this has artistic merit and value in heeps, for what it is. The sculpts on both characters are amazing, in such limited scale.

I posted the pic because for presence in a display, and the absence of any real surrounding - I am left with this as a close analogy. I just don't find this piece being an effective part of my display, it would have the same presence as say the ToyBiz Frodo.

Add more to the base Sideshow...... you've done it before with the Baby Rog.

I'd even pay $5 more for it :monkey3

Back