The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh physical media truly is in its death throws:

"a report, from the Motion Picture Association of America, that reveals a shocking 50% decline in global physical media sales over the last five years. The market data comes from both the DEG (Digital Entertainment Group) and IHS Markit. The drop is in dollar amount, from $25.2 billion in 2014 to just $13.1 in 2018. And there is no sign whatsoever that physical 4K Ultra HD or any kind of 8K Blu-ray format is going to recover those losses. 4K, though popular with enthusiasts, is just 5.3% of current physical disc sales (regular DVD still accounts for nearly 60% of all disc sales worldwide)."

https://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/041219-1200

:monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

"a report, from the Motion Picture Association of America, that reveals a shocking 50% decline in global physical media sales over the last five years. The market data comes from both the DEG (Digital Entertainment Group) and IHS Markit. The drop is in dollar amount, from $25.2 billion in 2014 to just $13.1 in 2018. And there is no sign whatsoever that physical 4K Ultra HD or any kind of 8K Blu-ray format is going to recover those losses. 4K, though popular with enthusiasts, is just 5.3% of current physical disc sales (regular DVD still accounts for nearly 60% of all disc sales worldwide)."

Ugh.

Horrible news, but not surprising. Anybody who's visited best buy recently could tell it was in decline.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well, maybe they should drop the prices

Gee, you'd think the people still buying physical media would be the hi-def purists, but DVD still accounts for over half.

Meanwhile, streaming 4K is good enough for most people, and iTunes 4K is comparable to UHD:

Gee, you'd think the people still buying physical media would be the hi-def purists, but DVD still accounts for over half.

Meanwhile, streaming 4K is good enough for most people, and iTunes 4K is comparable to UHD:

The only way iTunes 4K is comparable is if you watch on smaller TV and use a soundbar.

I’m guessing Disney+ will be like Vudu, Itunes and Amazon Prime with the new releases you still have to rent or buy the digital download it’s not like AEG first day on Disney+ is just going to be free you still have to pay to rent it or own it.

I’m reading where people think it will all be free lololol

I’m guessing Disney+ will be like Vudu, Itunes and Amazon Prime with the new releases you still have to rent or buy the digital download it’s not like AEG first day on Disney+ is just going to be free you still have to pay to rent it or own it.

I’m reading where people think it will all be free lololol

:lol :lol

You don't think it will be like the current Netflix setup where the MCU and SW films hit blu-ray a month before Netflix so that Disney can still earn all the disc purchases before letting people watch them for free? Or are you saying that if people want to watch AEG the same *day* as the blu-ray release that then they'll have to pay (which also is pretty much how it is now.)

:lol :lol

You don't think it will be like the current Netflix setup where the MCU and SW films hit blu-ray a month before Netflix so that Disney can still earn all the disc purchases before letting people watch them for free? Or are you saying that if people want to watch AEG the same *day* as the blu-ray release that then they'll have to pay (which also is pretty much how it is now.)

Since phydical media isn’t going away just yet I think things will stay pretty much the same but with a few new big changes.

Therefore lets use AEG as the example.

Digital release 4-6 weeks before disc BUT digital release only on Disney+ and to watch it you can pay to rent or pay to own. So no more digital releases on Disney+ competitors like Itunes, Vudu and Amazon Prime.

Then Disney releases the disc to stores.

The big unknown is when will Disney make AEG then free on Disney+. Remember AEG not going to Netflix at all!

I’m reading ridiculous comments from people saying they will never have to buy another Disney movie ever again because they will all just be immediately free on Disney+ on home release date! :slap

Those people have a rude awakening in their future lol

Glad to see that Microsoft took the greedy route and is charging MORE for their new all digital unable to play any Blu-rays Xbox one S than the regular Xbox one S that has a disc drive that is capable of playing 4K discs.

Yeah thanks but no thanks Microgreed!

Those competitors might be too big to ignore. But Disney is currently withholding 4K from iTunes, so maybe 4K (and later 8K) will be Disney+ exclusives.

That's shady as hell. I don't want movies following the video game model and gating certain media with 'exclusives'

Glad to see that Microsoft took the greedy route and is charging MORE for their new all digital unable to play any Blu-rays Xbox one S than the regular Xbox one S that has a disc drive that is capable of playing 4K discs.

Yeah thanks but no thanks Microgreed!

Think you got that backwards friend, they're charging $50 less for it, and even said if the S ever drops in price they'll drop the diskless model in price at the same time. They're also giving retailers more leeway on putting it on sale.

Anything else is up to retailers of course.

PS5 Spec Highlights:
PlayStation 5 details: 8K graphics, ray tracing, SSDs, 3d audio, and PS4 backward compatibility.

That's shady as hell. I don't want movies following the video game model and gating certain media with 'exclusives'

Think you got that backwards friend, they're charging $50 less for it, and even said if the S ever drops in price they'll drop the diskless model in price at the same time. They're also giving retailers more leeway on putting it on sale.

Anything else is up to retailers of course.

Last I checked the all digital PO was $250 at BB and I can buy the bluray capable version with a game bundle for less!

Maybe on release date that might change lets see.

PS5 Spec Highlights:
PlayStation 5 details: 8K graphics, ray tracing, SSDs, 3d audio, and PS4 backward compatibility.

There is no way in hell that the PS5 will do native 8K gaming for under $2000 and even then it’s not even possible because the most powerful graphics card right now in the market that cost $1200 can just do 4K at 70 fps.

Fake 8K gaming is more like it lol

Back