The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
France is getting some cool new trilogy box sets on 4/15:

272289212_5189738514377675_8853868617619324612_n.jpg

272369963_5189738357711024_4693393758945192142_n.jpg

272242936_5189738437711016_1664941036823091068_n.jpg

How do you feel about film grain in these new 4K movies?

I've gotten so used to the newer movies that look so crisp and clean, and watching old copies of old movies, I get used to them being muddy all over. But watching the new Godfather transfers are so jarring, especially in the opening, because it's a rich black background, but Bonasera's skintone has grain all over it, and it looks like video glitches. I notice similar 'defects' watching Ghostbusters, in Dana's apartment building, the actors look good, but there's grain all over the solid color hallways, and you can see it 'crawling' across the screen.

I understand the drawbacks of DNR can wipe away detail but that seems like a case of using DNR improperly. There's gotta be a way to do it that doesn't negatively affect the detail.

I personally don't like the picture grain. I just got in my steelbook Robocop(1987) 4k blu-ray and I've seen people complain about the picture grain for this movie in particular. I haven't watched it yet but I'm hoping it's not that bad. If im not mistaken, depending on what TV you have, you may be able to mess with the picture settings to mitigate the picture grain.

I don't mind picture grain but with alot of movies where they have gone back and added scenes like the uncut Robocop version the grain shifts because of the film stock. Another example of a movie with alot of grain is the original Predator because of cheaper film stock. I have always preferred the grain because it's how films originally looked. Nighttime scenes got very grainy though. Alot of the new movies have a digital grain added to them to make them look like more organic. I can understand both sides of the spectrum though. The 4K Robocop is amazing and the best it has looked but the uncut scenes do still look rougher than the rest of the film but they are closer matching overall. The tv version is hilarious but in standard definition.

There’s good DNR and there’s awful DNR. Looking at just UHD 4K releases, bad examples include the first Predator release, the first Gladiator release and the horrible current T2. Releases like the new RoboCop or the new Godfather have DNR but it’s very delicately done to maintain the original grain levels.

I read a review, I think it was at DigitalBits, that the new Pirates of the Caribbean transfer had bad DNR, but I watched it and it looked good to me.

:dunno

Interesting. I tend to trust them, they have an insane amount of experience in the home video industry.

No, actually it was blu-ray.com

The picture's grain has been reduced to a meshy, artificial appearance, looking frozen and flat and certainly less than genuine and flattering. Edge enhancement is in evidence. Textures have been scrubbed down and sharpened back up. Details appear waxy and lacking complexity. It's not that there is no detail, it's that it's been manipulated, rendered less than ideally lifelike or at least filmic, robbing the picture of its grand visual complexity and natural filmic beauty.

Some amazing announcements from Criterion this month. They are stepping up with the 4K (all of them except Summertime and Drive My Car) despite the quality issues that have been occurring. Especially looking forward to Devil In A Blue Dress, love that film, Don Cheadle is amazing in it.

80F16F1E-F75D-4C74-B938-495D1935462A.jpeg

E4513C5F-F4F7-4113-9EC2-D272DD7831DD.jpeg

64027F5F-BB9D-4280-9615-460DAC480933.jpeg

1E442CD8-A61E-404F-AB09-171052382FAB.jpeg

D93233BE-75E1-4DB5-A77B-ED6014FAC8FC.jpeg

Attachments

• 32E01C44-1AAA-4B9C-9F71-D48AED8AE01D.jpeg
    32E01C44-1AAA-4B9C-9F71-D48AED8AE01D.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 4
So I was all set to splash the extra cash on OLED, then my tech-savvy bro-in-law mentioned the forthcoming QD-OLED would be brighter with less burn-in.

Not wanting to wait even longer for the right size (>80”) and price, do I just go OLED now or get a QLED or NanoCell as a stopgap?

(Bearing in mind that by the time QD-OLED is prevalent we’ll probably be talking about micro LED.)

You've now entered the TV TWILIGHT ZONE... It's a vicious cycle really. You juggle features and tech, plus size, for mini 2nd mortgage loan on house. I would say if you need a tv and or you have to have a tv ("need" one) find a couple that you would be ok buying and would stick by for a few years or until it dies and research the set and get it. If you dont need it, wait. The tech will only get better. Best of lucky really.

Well this is truly out of the blue ..

C71C9E22-8C63-42E4-8606-C10920B65ED1.jpeg

Yes, Criterion are doing WALL-E. Have Disney ever licensed a movie out like this before? Is this a sign of things to come or just a one off?

Weird for only Rocky 1-4 being in the 4K box set (including Rocky 4 Directors Cut.)

Why not 5 and 6?

Yeah yeah 5 sucks but complete the box set.
Personally I'll be glad to just get 1-4 without 5 and 6 which I'll never watch. Even though Rocky is objectively the best film, it's 3 and 4 that I rewatcb the most.

Hopefully they'll release a full 1-6 box set one day though.

Personally I'll be glad to just get 1-4 without 5 and 6 which I'll never watch. Even though Rocky is objectively the best film, it's 3 and 4 that I rewatcb the most.

Hopefully they'll release a full 1-6 box set one day though.
Rocky Balboa (6) is good though it’s literally the Star Trek The Undiscovered Country (6) of the Rocky series lol

Rocky 5 = Bad

Star Trek 5 = Bad

Back