The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m going to hide this here far away from the eyes of the AWOW thread :):)

From The Digital Bits a couple of days ago:
But hey... we’re not done with 4K news yet, and this is a big one. We first broke the news many months ago that Disney and 21st Century Fox would be releasing James Cameron’s original Avatar in 4K Ultra HD sometime this year, timed to coincide with the home release of the new sequel Avatar: The Way of Water. But the home video street date for that has been (and continues to be) in a state of flux, because the film is still performing very strongly at the box office, and Disney would like to keep it in theaters for as long as that continues. We’ve also reported that Cameron’s The Abyss (1989) would finally be coming to 4K Ultra HD and probably remastered Blu-ray this year as well, and it was initially confirmed by Cameron—in recent press interviews amid the PR blitz for The Way of Water—that fans should expect this to happen by March.

Now... a little side note with a bit of home video history for context: Even as I’ve worked to chase down more details on all of this here at The Bits, my industry sources have also begun to tell me to expect Disney and Fox to release Cameron’s True Lies (1994) on 4K Ultra HD and remastered Blu-ray too sometime later in 2023. But I’ve been sitting on that news until I can get additional confirmation. It’s just
always a good policy, especially with these particular titles, which have taken a long and convoluted road to Blu-ray and 4K going all the way back to 2017 (see here) and indeed as far back as 2013 (click here for that). The gist of all that was, then 20th Century Fox actually prepared new Blu-ray special editions of both The Abyss and True Lies in 2014, but Cameron refused to approve them. (And I was later able to confirm all of this directly with senior Fox Home Entertainment executives before the studio was absorbed by Disney.)

Well, cut back to three days ago at the 2023 Critics’ Choice Awards: Cameron was once again asked about True Lies and The Abyssfinally coming to 4K and he replied that both were due sometime in “the second half of 2023.” Thanks to Bits reader Jon H. (and several others) for the heads-up on this.

Given the convoluted home video history of all these Cameron titles, I’m sure there will be a plenty of “Yeah, right” and “I’ll believe it when I see it” responses. Totally understand. But I have confirmed with multiple sources now that these films are being worked on for 4K Ultra HD release. So I’m just dropping that here, and we can all compare notes again on December 31st, 2023 to see what’s happened by then.

(Believe me, I’m just as sick of reporting about these titles as you guys are of hearing about them. I’m very much looking forward to the day when we can all just watch them in 4K and stop talking about them.)

I’m going to hide this here far away from the eyes of the AWOW thread :):)

From The Digital Bits a couple of days ago:
But hey... we’re not done with 4K news yet, and this is a big one. We first broke the news many months ago that Disney and 21st Century Fox would be releasing James Cameron’s original Avatar in 4K Ultra HD sometime this year, timed to coincide with the home release of the new sequel Avatar: The Way of Water. But the home video street date for that has been (and continues to be) in a state of flux, because the film is still performing very strongly at the box office, and Disney would like to keep it in theaters for as long as that continues. We’ve also reported that Cameron’s The Abyss (1989) would finally be coming to 4K Ultra HD and probably remastered Blu-ray this year as well, and it was initially confirmed by Cameron—in recent press interviews amid the PR blitz for The Way of Water—that fans should expect this to happen by March.

Now... a little side note with a bit of home video history for context: Even as I’ve worked to chase down more details on all of this here at The Bits, my industry sources have also begun to tell me to expect Disney and Fox to release Cameron’s True Lies (1994) on 4K Ultra HD and remastered Blu-ray too sometime later in 2023. But I’ve been sitting on that news until I can get additional confirmation. It’s just
always a good policy, especially with these particular titles, which have taken a long and convoluted road to Blu-ray and 4K going all the way back to 2017 (see here) and indeed as far back as 2013 (click here for that). The gist of all that was, then 20th Century Fox actually prepared new Blu-ray special editions of both The Abyss and True Lies in 2014, but Cameron refused to approve them. (And I was later able to confirm all of this directly with senior Fox Home Entertainment executives before the studio was absorbed by Disney.)

Well, cut back to three days ago at the 2023 Critics’ Choice Awards: Cameron was once again asked about True Lies and The Abyssfinally coming to 4K and he replied that both were due sometime in “the second half of 2023.” Thanks to Bits reader Jon H. (and several others) for the heads-up on this.

Given the convoluted home video history of all these Cameron titles, I’m sure there will be a plenty of “Yeah, right” and “I’ll believe it when I see it” responses. Totally understand. But I have confirmed with multiple sources now that these films are being worked on for 4K Ultra HD release. So I’m just dropping that here, and we can all compare notes again on December 31st, 2023 to see what’s happened by then.

(Believe me, I’m just as sick of reporting about these titles as you guys are of hearing about them. I’m very much looking forward to the day when we can all just watch them in 4K and stop talking about them.)
This is nice but when are Aliens and Terminator getting released on 4K?

This is nice but when are Aliens and Terminator getting released on 4K?
Yeah great point but they have their own set of complications. The Terminator rights are so over place, I think Lionsgate has T2 but not T1, Skydance kinda has the film rights but then there is stuff about it reverting to Cameron and Gale Ann Hurd. I might ask Bill Hunt on Twitter and get him to explain it. Aliens is Fox obviously but I’m assuming, vainly hoping they are putting together a box set. Only Alien is in 4K atm I think.

Update: I tweeted question to Digital Bits so hopefully will get a response.

It’s crazy just how many movies still need to come out in 4K

Aliens both cuts
Batman 89 with corrected audio
Blade 2
Commando
Conan 1
Hero
House of Flying Daggers
Kill Bill 1 and 2
Legend Directors Cut
Robocop 1 Unrated
Starman
Superman 78 Special Edition
Superman 2 Donner Cut
T1 with corrected audio
The Exorcist
The Hidden
The Punisher Extended Cut (Jane)
Troy Directors Cut

Last edited:
Whaaat! What’s wrong with the audio?
The gorier version is on Disney but yes please
Kill Bill 1 and 2
He needs to hurry with the The Whole Bloody Affair how long ago was that now?
Legend Directors Cut
Yes please. Truly gorgeous film.
Robocop 1 Unrated
This is out, Arrow

The Exorcist
On the way apparently this year

Whaaat! What’s wrong with the audio?

The gorier version is on Disney but yes please

He needs to hurry with the The Whole Bloody Affair how long ago was that now?

Yes please. Truly gorgeous film.

This is out, Arrow

On the way apparently this year
That’s right forgot that the RC Arrow 4K has the extended cut :slap

Regarding Batman 1989:

It’s important to note, however, that Burton has made a few changes to the new mix. Longtime fans of the film will know that its post-production was rushed to meet the theatrical release date. So some of its sound effects were borrowed from other films. Specifically, most of the gun shots were reused cues from the Dirty Harry films. And when the Batmobile raises and lowers its armored shields, mechanical noises from James Cameron’s Aliens were used. For this new mix, all of those have been replaced with unique sound effects. It’s tastefully done and works well in context, but there will almost certainly be fans who quibble over the changes. This would be less of an issue if Warner had included the previous Blu-ray’s 5.1 audio mix on the discs, but they didn’t. (Again, the English 5.1 Dolby Digital mix here is new, down-mixed from the Atmos.) So don’t get rid of your previous Blu-rays.

Also important to note: The Blu-ray included in this package is mastered from the new 4K scan. That means it has more detail than before, but also the new color grade (sans HDR). It also includes the new Atmos mix. And again, the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix is NOT the previous Blu-ray audio but the Atmos down-mix, so it includes the sound effects changes. The original theatrical audio is not included here either. That’s a shame, and will cause some consternation from fans, but again the solution is to hang onto the previous Blu-ray for posterity’s sake.

Aliens both cuts
Blade 2
Commando
Conan 1
Hero
House of Flying Daggers
Kill Bill 1 and 2
Legend Directors Cut
Robocop 1 Unrated
Starman
Superman 78 Special Edition
Superman 2 Donner Cut
T1 with corrected audio
The Exorcist
The Hidden
The Punisher Extended Cut (Jane)
Troy Directors Cut
I was going to mention the OT but thank you Team Negative1. :rock

Also T2 Non-cenobite version
And it looks like my Arrow RoboCop has the director's cut in 4K but blu-ray theatrical.

But yeah T1 w/original mono mix, ALIENS and Conan are absolutely my top three most wanted. Still haven't seen Jane Punisher director's cut.

When I say corrected audio what I mean is have the decency to include the original and by all means include the new mix for those that use it but crying out loud just include the damn original.

Actually with Batman 89 I don’t even hate the new gunshots lol

When I say corrected audio what I mean is have the decency to include the original and by all means include the new mix for those that use it but crying out loud just include the damn original.
I know right! :gah:

Why oh why doesn't every filmmaker just follow Ridley Scott's lead with four separate versions of Blade Runner in one release.

Actually with Batman 89 I don’t even hate the new gunshots lol
I own both Schumacher Batflicks on 4K disc but neither Burton...

:chase

Aliens both cuts - no official announcement but there have been rumors that it’s being worked on with the others.
Batman 89 with corrected audio - Don’t hold your breath. Maybe at the next big anniversary. . I prefer the new sound mix
Blade 2 - no announcement
Commando - blah
Conan 1 - yes please!!!
Hero - I’ve heard nothing
House of Flying Daggers -
Kill Bill 1 and 2 - QT films are starting to get released. These are my least fav of his films so I hope all others get the 4k treatment first
Legend Directors Cut - my god I hate this film :lol
Robocop 1 Unrated - see below
Starman - I’ve heard nothing but Shout/scream has been putting out a lot of 4k. I’m sure it’s coming
Superman 78 Special Edition - box set coming but I don’t know if this will be included.
Superman 2 Donner Cut - will be included in newly announced box set.
T1 with corrected audio - would be nice to get a 4k release.
The Exorcist- release coming soon
The Hidden - heard nothing
The Punisher Extended Cut (Jane) - who cares lol
Troy Directors Cut - would be nice

Jye… Robocop unrated is available in 4k by arrow video

Made comments in your original post

Other films

Lethal Weapon series (rumors is the first one is getting a 4k release)
A proper T2 release
Both Tron films :)
Jackie Brown
Hateful Eight
Django
Dirty Harry films
Creepshow
The Fly
Cape Fear
Last of the Mohicans
Pale Rider
Young Guns
From Dusk Till Dawn
Interview with the Vampire
One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest

They're just so much freaking fun, especially B&R. :lol

If there was no such thing as the Nolan trilogy, BvS warehouse scene and now The Batman yeah I'd probably still hate them but now that I have some truly great Batman films I find that when I'm in the mood for something wacky Schumacher delivers the goods much moreso than Burton.

And if I want to watch something that's just awesome well I've got TB, BB, TDK and so forth which leaves Burton in a weird middle ground that is outshined by both extremes.

Jye… Robocop unrated is available in 4k by arrow video
Re RoboCop the standard edition only has the DC in 4K , the limited edition has both versions on separate 4K discs.
2A42FE72-6530-460D-A9A3-F2EEA16B9AB9.jpeg

Dirty Harry films
They are working on most of Eastwood’s back catalog including these atm
Last of the Mohicans
Yes please

From Dusk Till Dawn
I don’t think I even have a bluray of this

Also, all these are must for me on physical 4K:
Adventures Of Robin Hood 38
Ben-Hur
Physical 4k of Die Hard 2 and 3
Fight Club (pretty sure the Fincher films are coming out this year)
Se7en
All of the Bond films on a physical 4K box set
JFK
LA Confidential
North by Northwest
Once Upon A Time In America
Once Upon A Time In The West (pretty sure this is being worked on)
Planet Of The Apes 68
The Princess Bride
Rio Bravo
The Rocketeer
Romancing The Stone
The Searchers
Seven Samurai
The Social Network
Zodiac

Back