The Amazing Spider Man 2 (2014)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird... wonder why Japan's release was basically timed with everyone else getting it at home? Obviously waiting didn't kill their enthusiasm.

It's funny isn't it. This movie is thought of as a flop or a bomb but it's the highest grossing movie internationally and the second highest domestically.

That's the uninformed and less knowledgable fandom for you. Just because they don't like a movie they call it a "bust" or a "flop". A box office "bomb" by definition is a film that is highly unsuccessful (which ASM2 is NOT) and fails to make any profit (again...which ASM2 has NOT). It has been gauged by Sony ITSELF to make $750+ millon and it's production cost was roughly $255 million including marketing. This is where Hollywood looks at NUMBERS and RETURNS as opposed to how "good"/critically acclaimed a movie is. Amazing Spider-man 2 has indeed turned a HUGE profit but so far has NOT reached the estimates put on it by Sony. There still is time though because the film is still in theaters.

Critically diverse films will draw lots of well...criticism. And people who don't know the proper terms will use them in order to express their lament of a film.

DREDD was an example of a BOX OFFICE BOMB, which failed on its returns in theaters. But it DESTROYED the Blu-Ray/DVD market and made massive returns on that, which is why fans call for a sequel and cite how many Blu-Ray/DVD sales it made. Studios also factor the non-box office returns and given that, ASM2 will likely make MASSIVE returns on the Blu-Ray/DVD sales.

You think they did this cgi fest with all that advertising for 250 mil? Any sources for that? Everything I've read has been in the 315 to 350 range out laid by Sony.

You think they did this cgi fest with all that advertising for 250 mil? Any sources for that? Everything I've read has been in the 315 to 350 range out laid by Sony.

My mistake. You're right. The movie production budget by itself is around $250 million. The MARKETING adds another $100-$150 million. I read it wrong.

Damn, when you really let that set into your brain, 300+ million for a movie is a bit frivolous. I mean yeah, most if not all this stuff is, but DAYUM. :lol

Yeah, the numbers are scary if you really start thinking about what the companies lay on the line to make a summer blockbuster.

What reports are you talking about? This movie cost $250 million to make and another $150 million to market. Even if they made another 100 mill (which isn't likely at this time, it still wouldn't be close to breaking even.

but the Raimi films, what you think?

That's the uninformed and less knowledgable fandom for you. Just because they don't like a movie they call it a "bust" or a "flop". A box office "bomb" by definition is a film that is highly unsuccessful (which ASM2 is NOT) and fails to make any profit (again...which ASM2 has NOT). It has been gauged by Sony ITSELF to make $750+ millon and it's production cost was roughly $255 million including marketing. This is where Hollywood looks at NUMBERS and RETURNS as opposed to how "good"/critically acclaimed a movie is. Amazing Spider-man 2 has indeed turned a HUGE profit but so far has NOT reached the estimates put on it by Sony. There still is time though because the film is still in theaters.

Critically diverse films will draw lots of well...criticism. And people who don't know the proper terms will use them in order to express their lament of a film.

DREDD was an example of a BOX OFFICE BOMB, which failed on its returns in theaters. But it DESTROYED the Blu-Ray/DVD market and made massive returns on that, which is why fans call for a sequel and cite how many Blu-Ray/DVD sales it made. Studios also factor the non-box office returns and given that, ASM2 will likely make MASSIVE returns on the Blu-Ray/DVD sales.

A couple of factors you're not counting

The box office numbers don't factor in the percentage that the actual theater get.

Studios only get about 40% of the overseas box office gross.

My mistake. You're right. The movie production budget by itself is around $250 million. The MARKETING adds another $100-$150 million. I read it wrong.

A few places reported that the marketing budget was around $180 Million

Last edited:
A couple of factors you're not counting

The box office numbers don't factor in the percentage that the actual theaters get.

Studios only get about 40% of the overseas box office gross.

Good point, a lot of factors aren't taken into account if all you do is look at a box office total to try to decide if somethings a success or not. If Sony says they need 700 mil and financial websites are saying they need to hit 660 mil, there's probably a reason, I doubt they just pull numbers out of the air for the fun of it.

I still need to see this again, before it exits theaters. Hopefully, it'll be around for a while. I'm curious about my impression of the film the second time around.

but the Raimi films, what you think?

The Raimi films? I'm like everyone else. I liked the first one (but didn't like Goblin's suit), and loved the 2nd one. I thought SM3 sucked. Just like everyone else.

Just so you know, I'm wasn't saying what I said because I'm some Raimi fanboy. As far as I'm concerned, SR had his chance and he whiffed when he didn't use the Lizard as the big bad in 3. As far as I was concerned, game over.

So am I a Webb head? Not a chance. And I say that because I don't think a filmmaker with one hit movie (a rom com no less) should be given the keys to the kingdom.

What exactly qualified him for this gig anyway? I can't figure it out. Maybe because it's a Japanese company they thought that because his name was Webb it was a good sign. What else? I can't think of anything. I didn't even like, "500 days of Summer". I thought it sucked.

But before anybody starts defending him, let me ask you this; do you know that he had to be talked into taking this job?

Yeah, let that sink in. HE HAD TO BE TALKED INTO TAKING ON SPIDER-MAN. Can you believe that? Like this dip**** was Orson Welles or something. Yes, talked in to it. I read an interview with him in New York magazine and he said the woman from Sony told him, "You can't turn down Spider-man".

Seriously? This was who you go with? A guy who had zero interest in this character but is doing them a favor. And why? Gee, maybe because if you direct a super hero movie, it's instant fame. That might be it.

Can anyone really say that they knew who he was after, "500 days of Summer"?, Honestly? Because that's all he really ever did. Well, unless you're someone who still watches music videos, you might have heard of him. And if you did know him from that, then you're the only one left.

Lame.

Can you imagine? Sam Raimi had to work his way up the trenches to get a shot at directing a movie of a character who he read growing up and loved, and this guy, who couldn't give less of a ****, is handed over the store. Unbelievable.

And if that wasn't bad enough, the director they had to talk into it, makes a movie that comes and goes in less than a month, and is considered a film that, "Got a lackluster response from film goers when it was released" Is given MORE money and a second shot.

To me, that's ********. In life, you don't get to fail UP. After ASM, MW should have been shown the door. But he wasn't, and Sony has to live with that choice. But guess what?

So do we.

Am I a fan of Marc Webb? No, I'm not. I'm not a fan of him, or the writers, or Avi Arad. You know why?

They don't give two ****s about Spider-Man.

But I do.

So anyone who wants to delude themselves into thinking that this film is, "breaking even", and Sony is going to go "full steam ahead" with their plans, think again. Because it's not happening. You may think that this movie is successful, but they know it's not.

They know only too well. If nothing else, believe that.

The Raimi films? I'm like everyone else. I liked the first one (but didn't like Goblin's suit), and loved the 2nd one. I thought SM3 sucked. Just like everyone else.

Just so you know, I'm wasn't saying what I said because I'm some Raimi fanboy. As far as I'm concerned, SR had his chance and he whiffed when he didn't use the Lizard as the big bad in 3. As far as I was concerned, game over.

So am I a Webb head? Not a chance. And I say that because I don't think a filmmaker with one hit movie (a rom com no less) should be given the keys to the kingdom.

What exactly qualified him for this gig anyway? I can't figure it out. Maybe because it's a Japanese company they thought that because his name was Webb it was a good sign. What else? I can't think of anything. I didn't even like, "500 days of Summer". I thought it sucked.

But before anybody starts defending him, let me ask you this; do you know that he had to be talked into taking this job?

Yeah, let that sink in. HE HAD TO BE TALKED INTO TAKING ON SPIDER-MAN. Can you believe that? Like this dip**** was Orson Welles or something. Yes, talked in to it. I read an interview with him in New York magazine and he said the woman from Sony told him, "You can't turn down Spider-man".

Seriously? This was who you go with? A guy who had zero interest in this character but is doing them a favor. And why? Gee, maybe because if you direct a super hero movie, it's instant fame. That might be it.

Can you really say that you knew who he was after, "500 days of Summer"?, Honestly? Because that's all he really ever did. Well, unless you're someone who still watches music videos, you might have heard of him. And if you did know him from that, then you're the only one left.

Lame.

Can you imagine? Sam Raimi had to work his way up the trenches to get a shot at directing a movie of a character who he read growing up and loved, and this guy, who couldn't give less of a ****, is handed over the store. Unbelievable.

And if that wasn't bad enough, the director they had to talk into it, makes a movie that comes and goes in less than a month, and is considered a film that, "Got a lackluster response from film goers when it was released" Is given MORE money and a second shot.

To me, that's ********. In life, you don't get to fail UP. After ASM, MW should have been shown the door. But he wasn't, and Sony has to live with that choice. But guess what?

So do we.

Am I a fan of Marc Webb? No, I'm not. I'm not a fan of him, or the writers, or Avi Arad. You know why?

They don't give two ****s about Spider-Man.

But I do.

So anyone who wants to delude themselves into thinking that this film is, "breaking even", and Sony is going to go "full steam ahead" with their plans, think again. Because it's not happening. You may think that this movie is successful, but they know it's not.

They know only too well. If nothing else, believe that.

wow.... i had no idea

I thought ASM2 was weak...then I saw Godzilla.....uhhh ASM2 wasn't that bad after all...

Back