Tatooine Scene: Searching for Droids

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looking amazing so far! :clap Shame about the door. I know how frustrating it can be when you just can't get something right. I'm sure you'll nai in the end though. :duff

What are you trying to cut on or for the door?
I'm trying to get the carving/design on the door. It's hard to figure out, because you can't see the entire door, and I think my dimensions are off on the door, so the pattern wont completely fit, so I had to customize it.

Looks something like this:
E0F07D55-ADCD-434F-857B-AE12CA9D2D7B-11003-00000893F9138F76_zps7043079c.jpg

This looking amazing so far! :clap Shame about the door. I know how frustrating it can be when you just can't get something right. I'm sure you'll nai in the end though. :duff

Thanks man! I really should plan these things out better. I'm learning more about the building after the fact. But no worries, I couldn't have built it to scale anyway, it would have been 2' - 1/2" feet, and my wife just ain't down with that for the living room. :lol

But i think I found something that might work. My cutting, grinding and sanding work needs some help.....

Last edited:
Hahaha....got those guys beat. But i am stuck on the door design. :mad:

I can't cut anything precise enough to look good. All of my cutting equipment is too small and clumsy, or the media I am working with is too difficult. Yanakanji!!!!

The plywood is a pain to cut without splintering and MDF leaves a ragged edge unless done on a machine. Best option if you have the cash and the time is to design the pattern or templates you want cut and send the file to a laser cutter's (for the door for example).

A more normal way is to use thick styrene sheet for the door, as you can use scalpels and dremels and sanding to better effect. A scroll saw would also be good for that door pattern but that is a bit of an investment. For general walls and stuff it would look fine as is, due to tatooine plastering covering it :lol

For sanding the insides of the cut-outs you can get these tiny metal files that are used for making jewellery that are handy.

edit: just looked up laser cutting and it is totally uneconomical for most dios :monkey1 I'm used to uni facilities here that I don't even have time to use! damn irony :slap

Last edited:
Thanks Mando and INCOM! I sort of screwed up the scale of the door, so I didn't complete the pattern of the door (mostly at the top and bottom), but i felt my template compensated for my imperfections on the door.

Here's the first last attempt:

DFBF7ADA-200E-4395-8F44-7E36BB48C42B-11003-000008DA7D6F4BF1_zps86075271.jpg

Last edited:
The plywood is a pain to cut without splintering and MDF leaves a ragged edge unless done on a machine. Best option if you have the cash and the time is to design the pattern or templates you want cut and send the file to a laser cutter's (for the door for example).

A more normal way is to use thick styrene sheet for the door, as you can use scalpels and dremels and sanding to better effect. A scroll saw would also be good for that door pattern but that is a bit of an investment. For general walls and stuff it would look fine as is, due to tatooine plastering covering it :lol

For sanding the insides of the cut-outs you can get these tiny metal files that are used for making jewellery that are handy.

edit: just looked up laser cutting and it is totally uneconomical for most dios :monkey1 I'm used to uni facilities here that I don't even have time to use! damn irony :slap

Great stuff, Mortifactor. Thanks, bro.

I was looking into your idea of a laser cutter...but..then I saw your second post. Also, my wife let's me do this because she likes to see me create things and be creative...so I have to do it myself. :gah:

So I went to the craft store and bought some card paper for drawing, it seemed the right thickness and was soft enough to use my Dremel tools. It's not perfect by any means, but it's acceptable.

I love this man! It looks so good so far. Keep up the awesomness!

Thanks for the positive feedback, friends. This is my first building of any kind, so I am learning as I go. My detail and screen accuracy needs a lot of work...but's it's a fun start.

Here's a sneak peek.

24c87f43-3889-4196-9595-c90a07847a0a_zps07cade85.jpg

Thanks, Chris! I'm a pretty harsh critic on my stuff...but, I hope it all works out.

I gave the door a base coat, tomorrow I will try to match the right color orange and see how it turns out. Right now, the all white base coat doesn't reveal how deep the carving pattern is. It makes it look thinner. But you can see in the C-3PO picture just how deep those grooves are.

Strange...

3c7e8c15-0a15-411f-b4ae-c11873bce7cc_zps0ab6f587.jpg

Really like what I am seeing so far Solo, it looks great.

Can't wait to see the finished dio, I know you will do a great job if your MV is anything to go by.

Really like what I am seeing so far Solo, it looks great.

Can't wait to see the finished dio, I know you will do a great job if your MV is anything to go by.
Thanks, J14. Part of the inspiration was from your sick dio you made for your troopers. Of course I was trying to find a way to display C-3PO, so this is what I came up with. Something that could be viewed from all sides.

Can't wait to see more pics.:clap

Thanks man!! :duff

Very good stuff !! :clap

Thanks for checking it out. :D

I haven't posted in a while, I have been working on small little accessories for the room and not really focusing on finishing the inside of the room as I was not sure how I was going to do the inside, since there is really no references. So I decided just to make it up and borrow some ideas from the Lars Homestead.

Anyway, I secured the outside infrastructure to the foundation of the floor so I could make every piece modular. All walls will be able to be removed as I designed to hold them with magnets (so I can get in and rewire my lighting if I decide to change or add accessories.

Here's some pics of the updates.

910A8EB1-6C1C-4D20-9A8E-7EB30E8136AA-1217-00000132B32E4802_zps8fe79743.jpg

The door is fully functional and has stops at both sides.
77E41B13-FF23-4981-8F77-83A33B5C0BFB-1217-00000139008ECB2D_zps0ac5ac01.jpg

08B7A863-79EE-4DDC-B2CB-AF26E05F9699-1217-00000132BB5E31A3_zps41bc8246.jpg

3A22340E-2700-425D-B406-A1D775E4BC7A-1217-00000133908933BD_zps5d524341.jpg

Last edited:
Anyway, I secured the outside infrastructure to the foundation of the floor so I could make every piece modular. All walls will be able to be removed as I designed to hold them with magnets (so I can get in and rewire my lighting if I decide to change or add accessories.

Simply Brilliant. i needed them to do that magnet thing to my HOUSE. I am always upgrading the wiring for new Tv, stereo, internet etc!

Simply Brilliant. i needed them to do that magnet thing to my HOUSE. I am always upgrading the wiring for new Tv, stereo, internet etc!

Hahah! Yeah, I need that for running cat 6. This house it set up terribly for wireless as the house is tiered.

Anyway, I started working on the exterior knock down. I realized there is an art to it, and I learned the hard way. Some places I repaired my mistakes, others I just left as it wasn't as bad.

Anyway, another WIP.

C011EF1B-EBFE-4101-8BBB-6D0FD2785524-3270-00000248C38B9B4D_zps2d812f18.jpg

09b46815-46de-477a-b2c8-b5f1c609691e_zpsffb723d2.jpg

Back