Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Various little details aside, overall I reckon the Tamashii looks like an idealised version, the Sideshow looks like a very good toy/figure, and the Hot Toys looks like the real deal.

I’d like to see the Sphero side by side with these as well. Thanks for all the photos. Wish I had the funds to upgrade right now but I’ll have to wait for a while.

I also wonder about the sound quality on both the HT and Bandai? Is one better than the other. Louder. More sounds.

I'm wondering whether Hot Toys will simply do a repaint, or a new sculpt for the ANH R2. There are several details on the HT r2 that are inaccurate if you're wanting an ANH display. Aside from the width, the monocle lens bugs me. If HT solely did a repaint for ANH this would be a hard decision. The rivets on the Tamashii are far too prominent and I'd much rather have the HT metal dome, but the Tamashii proportions seem more accurate to me.

StarWarsIV_004Pyxurz.jpg

wow! thank you for those long awaited pictures, kuat!

Tamashii looks good in size and proportions, I thought it would be slightly taller than the HT but somewhat narrower.

The plastic dome on the tamashii does not look bad at all, and the seams are not easy to see.

We know the lights on the Tamashii work better, with more of a “random” rythm, but there is a mistake, since the light on the back is blue, instead of green or yellow.

I guess the battery system on the Tama is also better, with AAA batteries.

So it's not so clear for me that the HT is the winner here!

A weathered Tama could be something great...

"Various little details aside, overall I reckon the Tamashii looks like an idealised version, the Sideshow looks like a very good toy/figure, and the Hot Toys looks like the real deal".

I respectfully disagree. I have all 3 versions now in hand, and IMO the Tamashii is just beautiful! By far the best and to me the most accurate version. I know that this phrase is well overused but pictures really don't do this version justice at all.

I respectfully disagree. I have all 3 versions now in hand, and IMO the Tamashii is just beautiful! By far the best and to me the most accurate version. I know that this phrase is well overused but pictures really don't do this version justice at all.

You don't agree that the Tamashii is idealised? OK sure, in the medal ceremony scene the paint is spick and span brand new... and we don't get close enough to make a judgement on the factory-fresh prominent rivets, so maybe grant a pass there - but the Tamashii dome is like showroom glossy car-duco. It's a beautiful figure and I love the look of it, but it just doesn't look like it has popped out of the screen the way the HT does, surely?

Inaccuracies aside the HT R2 is the clear winner...that metal dome puts it on a whole other level making it look like a shrunken-down prop replica..
It also appears that both the Tamashii and HT versions might be the exact same scale...as there's a seller on Ebay selling the dome from the Tamashii and the body from the HT...i'd be interested to see the Tamashii/HT all metal hybrid..

You don't agree that the Tamashii is idealised? OK sure, in the medal ceremony scene the paint is spick and span brand new... and we don't get close enough to make a judgement on the factory-fresh prominent rivets, so maybe grant a pass there - but the Tamashii dome is like showroom glossy car-duco. It's a beautiful figure and I love the look of it, but it just doesn't look like it has popped out of the screen the way the HT does, surely?

Totally agree. The HT is taking quite a bashing over here in this thread and that's a little uncalled for. One, it's a TFA R2, but even still it's managed to deliver on a lot of things we've been asking for. Two: it photographs marvelously. I for one am grateful.

That being said, I don't have a desire to nit-pick the Tamashi, there's certainly room for it.

Inaccuracies aside the HT R2 is the clear winner...that metal dome puts it on a whole other level making it look like a shrunken-down prop replica..
It also appears that both the Tamashii and HT versions might be the exact same scale...as there's a seller on Ebay selling the dome from the Tamashii and the body from the HT...i'd be interested to see the Tamashii/HT all metal hybrid..

From those comparison shots I'd say the Tama has a tiny bit extra dome/body girth and is maybe a mm or two taller. Could be lens distortion. Seems like the incremental difference in size that the HT has over the SS, Tama has over the HT.

Is the back projector on the Tama supposed to be all black? Still curious to see the Tama in person but don't want to shell out the $$.

22459302_2038079786205879_4299649179101126161_o.jpg

Last edited:

Looking at the girth of the Tamashii R2, I think the HT dome would be slightly too small to match it. I could be wrong.

Totally agree. The HT is taking quite a bashing over here in this thread and that's a little uncalled for. One, it's a TFA R2, but even still it's managed to deliver on a lot of things we've been asking for. Two: it photographs marvelously. I for one am grateful.

That being said, I don't have a desire to nit-pick the Tamashi, there's certainly room for it.

Oh don't get me wrong the HT R2 is a fantastic figure in it's own right and one that does indeed photograph very nicely... But the overall proportions of the Tama just give it that extra bit of aesthetic accuracy for me. It just looks like the picture off of the old Kenner figure card, which takes me back to those good old days.

That Hot Toys R2 photographs yellow like the Medicom. Someone needs to give it a peroxide bath.

I just got the HT in today. The body doesn't look yellow in person. It's best feature is easily the beautiful brushed diecast metal dome. But the body is nicely detailed and the weathering is well done.

I just got the HT in today. The body doesn't look yellow in person. It's best feature is easily the beautiful brushed diecast metal dome. But the body is nicely detailed and the weathering is well done.

I'm in agreement, have it as well, and think it looks fine in person. Just don't put it next to something stark white like the Tama and take a picture.

So hard to decide which one to get. I’ll have to wait till HT releases their OT version before deciding.

So hard to decide which one to get. I’ll have to wait till HT releases their OT version before deciding.

I almost ordered the HT this morning, but my aversion to having Sequel or Prequel Trilogy figures stopped me, even though the HT looks like the clear winner. I presume the eventual HT OT will be a formality.

I definitely wouldn't have the Tamashii as it looks like the poor relation to their C-3PO.

Threepio has quite clear differences (C3-Obesio being the most obvious one,) but what exactly is the difference between OT R2D2 and ST R2D2?:dunno

(Other than one is an courageous hero while the other sits under a tarp for 20 of his 30 seconds onscreen.)

Back