Superman The Movie - Palitoy / Kenner inspired cardbacks / PAINTED FIGURE PHOTOS!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Superman The Movie - Palitoy inspired cardbacks for custom 3.75 inch Superman fig

I'd be in for these! Great work!

Re: Superman The Movie - Palitoy inspired cardbacks for custom 3.75 inch Superman fig

Just having fun with a Funko "first appearance" Supes figure. Mine won't be stylised like this, but I just wanted to get feel for how the package looks overall when the appropriately colored figure is in the bubble.

20200618_220104-1.jpg

I'm calling the packaging done. Got some correct thickness card, got the correct rounded corner cutter, correct shelf hanger hole.

VERY happy with how this has turned out. Smoother surface (but still has a slight indication of the "orange peel").

Card thickness / rigidity feels exactly like an old Kenner Star Wars card I've got here to compare it with. :yess:

20200620_152253 - Copy.jpg

20200620_151628-1.jpg

Working on a custom cardback for the Funko Adam West Batman. To finish off the trio of Palitoy toys I wanted back in the day, I will be doing a Nicholas Hammond Spiderman. Looking forward to having the all on display together.

Palitoy-Batman Card-Option1a.jpg

Palitoy-Batman Card-Option1b.jpg

Last edited:

I think you can say that the packaging is done looking at how great the card back and bubble looks for the Superman,

Great work!

Ian

I'm calling the packaging done. Got some correct thickness card, got the correct rounded corner cutter, correct shelf hanger hole.

VERY happy with how this has turned out. Smoother surface (but still has a slight indication of the "orange peel").

Card thickness / rigidity feels exactly like an old Kenner Star Wars card I've got here to compare it with. :yess:

View attachment 488083

View attachment 488084

Otis is sure "eyeing" Miss Teschmacker... :rotfl

Indeed. Totally intentional. It was in the immortal words of Bob Ross..."a happy little accident" when I picked that photo for Otis. How could I not put him there! Ha ha

Otis is sure "eyeing" Miss Teschmacker... :rotfl

Thanks Ian. For Batman - which do you prefer? Purple backing or Black backing?

I think you can say that the packaging is done looking at how great the card back and bubble looks for the Superman,

Great work!

Ian

black.

Thanks Ian. For Batman - which do you prefer? Purple backing or Black backing?

Black all the way for me.

Yes, I agree - I think black is the way to go. Here's the latest / final versions printed out and assembled into proper cards. I've tried everything within my economic means to get something looking like the lithographic printed cards of the original Palitoy cards. It's a lot harder than I imagined it to be, but I'm happy with these. They've got a nice sheen to them. I ended up using white smooth faced greyboard which has the same strength as the original greyboard that Palitoy used, but the only drawback is that the card edges look more white than original cards. This is a small price to pay though to get the front and back of the cards looking good. For the assortment number in the top left hand corner of the cards, I went for the original theatrical date when the movies opened in the theaters here in the UK (date format is UK with day, month and year). Thought that was as good as anything to use for the assortment number.

20200627_230932-1.jpg

20200627_230730-1.jpg

20200627_183511.jpg

Attachments

• 20200627_231511.jpg
    20200627_231511.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Those are very impressive looking with the figures on them. They really look like the old cards. Well done.

The cards came out so well and you made the right decision going with the card stock you chose. That was also an inspired idea about adding the numbers from the Uk release. Palitoy was a huge part of my childhood with both Star wars, Action man and Mego. years ago I put together a 12 back Vintage SW moc run but they were all Kenner. I then picked up a few vintage resealed Palitoy 12 backs and as soon as I saw the logo I sold my kenner mocs and went down the Palitoy reseal route.

It's something I've never regretted and when this logo is added to anything it makes it that bit more special for me.

Ian

Thanks guys. Really pleased to hear that other people like where this is going. Last thing I can't decide on - should I add the white "PRICE" block onto the Superman cards too (Like I've put onto the Batman card)? It would fill in the gap created by the angled Superman movie logo a bit.

Next up for the Palitoy custom treatment - Flash Gordon!
Interesting fact - in the UK box office for 1980 and 1981, Flash Gordon made more money than Superman 2 and Raiders of the Lost Ark!

Palitoy-Flash Gordon-Front-Master Template-opt1.jpg

Attachments

• Palitoy-Flash Gordon-Front-Master Template-opt1.jpg
    Palitoy-Flash Gordon-Front-Master Template-opt1.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Thanks guys. Really pleased to hear that other people like where this is going. Last thing I can't decide on - should I add the white "PRICE" block onto the Superman cards too (Like I've put onto the Batman card)? It would fill in the gap created by the angled Superman movie logo a bit.

As the Palitoy card backs didn't have the white price box on them (I'm thinking vintage Star Wars which would be around the same time), I would say to leave it off to keep it as close looking to back in the day as possible. Just my thoughts on this though.

Ian

Which one of these Flash and Spider-Man card backs do you all prefer? Can't make up my mind! (I know it's the wrong Flash figure in the mock-up. I couldn't find a good enough photo of the correct red and black vest version and forgot to take a photo of my own figure at home).

Palitoy-Spider Man Card-Front-Master-Template-opt1.jpg

Palitoy-Spider Man Card-Front-Master-Template-opt2.jpg

Palitoy-Flash Gordon-Front-Mock-up2.jpg

Back