Superman The Movie - Palitoy / Kenner inspired cardbacks / PAINTED FIGURE PHOTOS!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Superman The Movie - Palitoy inspired cardbacks for custom 3.75 inch Superman fig

I gave it my best shot. Here's how it looks now

Palitoy-Lex Luthor Card-Front-Master Template.jpg

Re: Superman The Movie - Palitoy inspired cardbacks for custom 3.75 inch Superman fig

Here is the collage of the final 12 card fronts.

Palitoy Cardbacks-Option1.jpg

no accessories?

He's got the gold sword that came with the figure but I didn't bother putting it into the bubble for the photo.

Made some minor adjustments to colours on some figure backgrounds and cleaned up the photos some more.

Palitoy Cardbacks-Option.jpg

Some figures put onto my printout of the card art. Not quite the latest cards with the cleaned up backgrounds, but you get the idea.

20200710_134205.jpg

20200710_134239.jpg

20200710_134247.jpg

20200710_134311.jpg

Here's back of the Batman card artwork I've just finished.

Palitoy-Batman Card-Front-and-Back.jpg

Re: Superman The Movie - Palitoy inspired cardbacks / FIGURE PHOTOS ADDED

Hi all,
You're probably all getting bored of seeing just never-ending photos of the cardbacks so I'm pleased to be able to show the first WIP photos of the Chris Reeve Superman figure that is being made for this project.
This is "Stage 1" of the work - just getting the proportions and overall appearance correct. "Stage 2" will start to refine the details and likeness / pose.
VERY happy with how this is looking already though. Hope you like it too.

Superman_Wip_06.jpg

Superman_Wip_07.jpg

Yes, we went through a few modifications to get it to this stage, but it's shaping up brilliantly. We haven't put the "S" on the cape yet, but don't worry - it won't be forgotten. The arms won't be so down at the sides on the final version. They'll be slightly adjusted so his fists are a bit more closer to his thighs which is how Reeve stood in a lot of photo shoots. I think the biceps may be a bit too bulky at the moment, but it's already looking a lot better than Neca's 7 inch and Mattel's 4 inch versions in my opinion.

NECA_Christopher_Reeve_Superman11__scaled_800.jpg

Last edited:

Flash and Ming cardback completed. I was able to put a photo of my custom 1:18 scale Hawkman Rocket Cycle on there too!

Which do you prefer? Multi-colored or orange/red?

Palitoy-Flash Gordon-Front-and-Back-Opt1.jpg

Palitoy-Flash Gordon-Front-and-Back.jpg

Have I bored you all to death with these cardback variations?
I was hoping to see some positive comments after I posted the progress photo of the 3D model for the Chris Reeve Superman. I think it's already looking better than any other Chris Reeve Superman released to date in my opinion.

Everything is looking great so far cking! I think we're all just awaiting the final reveal!

Thanks Ironman69. I'm flying solo on all these things so appreciate any constructive feedback on all of it because I get a bit blinded by it after looking at the artwork for so many hours. Sometimes, people will point things out that will make the final thing better or give some great ideas on how it can be improved. I really need that feedback to make it the best it can be.

Everything is looking great so far cking! I think we're all just awaiting the final reveal!

Definitely has an 80's feel to the card design. Tobe honest, it is very reminiscent of old starwars card backs, so I would be cautious. The starry back ground and silvery frame are the similar elements, I think.
I love the render of the Reeve superman but it's still just a render and the face has a sense of a super-imposed photo for now. I'm excited to see the figure, though. i think collectors that are attracted to this style will be very happy.

Btw, the images chosen for the card backs are masterfully perfect.

Thanks amusedjester. (btw - I was also 5 years old when I first saw Superman The Movie). It's not just reminiscent of old starwars card backs - it's 100% based on them. I wanted this set to fit in with the beloved star wars figure line and for them all to look uniformly designed. It's 100% intentional.
Here's the Incredible Hulk cardback. Tough to know what to do for that because the TV show didn't really have many characters to use for an action figure line. LOL.

I've just got to do the cardbacks for Spider-Man and Wonder Woman and this really enjoyable project will be finished (at least the card designing part of it).

Palitoy-Hulk-Front-and-Back.jpg

Last edited:

Here's the back of the Spider-Man card. Just got Wonder Woman's card to do now.

Palitoy-SpiderMan-Front-and-Back.jpg

Here is the finished render of the Chris Reeve Superman figure. This will stand at 10.7cm (4.22 inches) tall when printed. The yellow emblem on the back of the cape will be added as a die-cut sticker. The original cape emblem was sewn on top of the red cape fabric, so there didn't seem to be any point sculpting the emblem into the cape model. I think the die-cut sticker will be a perfect representation of how it looked on the full size costume.

VERY happy with how this looks. I am going to get it printed first to see how it looks. Adding the articulation for the arms, legs and head (basic 5 points of articulation) is going to cost an additional $300, so I want to make sure the model itself looks ok before I pay the extra.

Superman-Completed-Model-01.jpg

Superman-Completed-Model-02.jpg

Back