Superman The Movie - Palitoy / Kenner inspired cardbacks / PAINTED FIGURE PHOTOS!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Superman The Movie - Palitoy inspired cardbacks for custom 3.75 inch Superman fig

That's a really nice offer. Send me some pics of your paintjobs if you don't mind. Here's my email:

[email protected]

Yes, I'd seen similar replacement bubbles for sale and that's definitely a good option. I'd just need to pick the right size depending on how the figure turns out.

Thanks,

Chris

Depending on the quality of the paint job you?re expecting (I?m good, but not HT good), I?d be happy to do the painting for free for all the run if it helps. You wouldn?t sell that many anyway and if we?re going retro feel, it?s got to be simple.

For the bubble, there are some plastic sheets (I don?t know where to buy them though) that you can place over an existing shape and shape using a heat gun, so you could probably cut the price by doing it this way.

There is also this option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-REPLACE...269945?hash=item3d9dbacc39:g:2wMAAOSwa6heS~4n

Re: Superman The Movie - Palitoy inspired cardbacks for custom 3.75 inch Superman fig

Just the card printing and getting a custom bubble produced is going to cost at least 20 Pounds Sterling.
3D printing the figure could be another 20 - 30 Pounds Sterling to get it at good quality. No idea about paintjob price currently. None of those prices include the cost of commissioning the 3D computer artist to create the figure model and get it ready for printing. Like I said. The cost will be pretty expensive for a "toy" and probably comparable with the cost of Sideshow's 12 inch figures. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who has connections or ideas about how to make this more economic for others to be able to get one too.

These card backs look great and coming from the UK myself that palitoy logo sets any item off in my opinion.

I'm not sure if you were thinking about making the figure from scratch but one thought was to use a Mego Pocket Hero for a potential scan? https://roguetoys.com/products/mego-pocket-heroes-superman

It's the right size and maybe by changing the cape out for a vinyl one it would make it a bit different. Just Thought and I look forward to seeing how this turns out once you've completed it.

Ian

That's a really nice offer. Send me some pics of your paintjobs if you don't mind. Here's my email:

[email protected]

Yes, I'd seen similar replacement bubbles for sale and that's definitely a good option. I'd just need to pick the right size depending on how the figure turns out.

Thanks,

Chris

Let me some time to take some pics, I’m a very bad photographer. :)

These card backs look great and coming from the UK myself that palitoy logo sets any item off in my opinion.

I'm not sure if you were thinking about making the figure from scratch but one thought was to use a Mego Pocket Hero for a potential scan? https://roguetoys.com/products/mego-pocket-heroes-superman

It's the right size and maybe by changing the cape out for a vinyl one it would make it a bit different. Just Thought and I look forward to seeing how this turns out once you've completed it.

Ian

Excellent idea!

[email protected]

Thanks,

Chris

Well, for starter, you may look at these. That was a very long time ago. I’m much better now.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91589

Great paint up on that Reeve **16k**.

i'm aiming for something much more accurate than the Mego Pocket Heroes Superman (which I used to have as a kid and had forgotten about until I saw the photo in that link (thanks Palifan).
Paintjob only needs to be basic colors (no shading or anything fancy), but I'm hoping that the figure itself will have accurate proportions and a good scaled down likenes to Christopher Reeve.

Great paint up on that Reeve **16k**.

i'm aiming for something much more accurate than the Mego Pocket Heroes Superman (which I used to have as a kid and had forgotten about until I saw the photo in that link (thanks Palifan).
Paintjob only needs to be basic colors (no shading or anything fancy), but I'm hoping that the figure itself will have accurate proportions and a good scaled down likenes to Christopher Reeve.

There's also this 3.75" figure that I have which maybe more the look you're after - https://toywiz.com/dc-comics-multiverse-superman-action-figure/

The price for these on Amazon is through the roof for some reason :horror - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mattel-Comics-Multiverse-Figure-Superman/dp/B00J6245MW

Ian

I'm hoping mine will end up looking a lot better than the Mattel version. The whole reason I'm trying to get something done is because I'm so disappointed with all the versions produced so far.

I'm hoping mine will end up looking a lot better than the Mattel version. The whole reason I'm trying to get something done is because I'm so disappointed with all the versions produced so far.

Well that sounds promising and look forward to seeing it completed :)

Listened to a few comments from fellow fans and updated the card backs for Superman the Movie and Superman II. Also stuck a decent looking 3d model of a Reeve figure on there to give a better overall representation of what I'm hoping the final display will look like, although the figure I will be overseeing will be more realistically proportioned with less enhanced musculature.

Palitoy-Superman The Movie Card-Front and Back.jpg

Palitoy-Superman II Card-Front and Back-Option1a.jpg

Carded-Option1a.jpg

Last edited:

Please let me know the price of this pans out

Got a nice quality test print done for the card and placed a bubble on it to see how it looked. Very pleased. Now just got to get the figure sorted to put inside it! This was printed on 350g card (front and back) but is thinner than the vintage cards. It looks great and displays well without being "floppy", but do you think I should instead glue a front and back together so the card ends up being thicker?

20200610_201356-1.jpg

Looks really good. as far as thickness of the card it would depend on if it supports the weight of the figure with bending or warping.

You could even consider offering these with the images of the figure inside the card as a less expensive option on a thicker card and use your personal imprinted seal to avoid the possibility of some scum-bag copying your images

Hopefully it will turn out as well as my Flash Gordon (1980) Hawkman Rocket Cycle custom.
20200613_205938-1.jpg

Those Flash Cycles are amazing, I'm sure this Superman project is going to come out looking very nice :)

Ian

Thanks Ian,

That particular Flash cycle is up on ebay at the moment.

Those Flash Cycles are amazing, I'm sure this Superman project is going to come out looking very nice :)

Ian

Thanks Ian,

That particular Flash cycle is up on ebay at the moment.

Thanks for the heads up although I missed the boat on these :(

Looking forward to seeing Superman though :)

Ian

So, I took the plunge and tried to see if I could make the cardbacks myself. Had the artwork professionally printed onto some satin self-adhesive labels and then mounted the front and back artwork to some book board (greyboard). The result is very encouraging, although I've since ordered some greyboard which has a smoother surface because even though I applied the labels without any air bubbles, the surface texture of the greyboard gives the cards a bit of an "orange peel" effect. The sheen looks great and I'm getting the hang of applying the labels and trimming them all square so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to do it with a very professional looking end result.

20200618_090622-1.jpg

20200618_090642-1.jpg

Back