Superman Returns; the most underated superhero movie in a while?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think this movie is underated?

• yes

Votes: 72 45.0%
  • no

Votes: 88 55.0%

• Total voters
Hancock is a POS!! It's Willies attempt to try to be cool and cash in on the superhero movies.

It could've been great as an action comedy....but nooo...0

Plus the shaky cam and close ups were annoying.

i honestly dont get why lex allways has to be all funny acting in the movie and why superman has a son, and i wish they couldve thrown bizzaro in there somewhere

Hancock is a POS!! It's Willies attempt to try to be cool and cash in on the superhero movies.

I wouldn't go that far. Hancock was actually what Superman Returns should
have been to a degree. I did like certain aspects in SR but overall it was
a missed opportunity because Singer wasn't original enough to make a
unique Superman and put his own stamp on it while still being true to the
character.

I gotta admit, I liked Spacey at Luthor. But at the same time it is Luthor AGAIN! Most people don't know Superman has any supervillians because the films just keep using Luthor over and over again. Where's Bizzaro even?

I implore everyone here to see what Lex Luthor could be in a film, go read Superman:Red Son. It's one of the best Superman stories and shows exactly how to portray Lex as an equal to Supes.

That's why the original story "Tonight he Comes" was knocking around Hollywood and languishing in development hell for so long.

He was offered a role and he took it of course it could've been better but we have Akiva Goldsman to thank for dumbing down, just like every movie he has a hand in ^^^^ing up.

I just know that I didn't like seeing a character who's portrayed as so noble almost to the point where it suffocates him turn into a peeping tom.

Lois Lane just seemed so shallow as well and didn't seem to waste too much time in having fully unprotected sex and getting pregnant after Superman left who was meant to be the great love in her life.

I just know that I didn't like seeing a character who's portrayed as so noble almost to the point where it suffocates him turn into a peeping tom.

Lois Lane just seemed so shallow as well and didn't seem to waste too much time in having fully unprotected sex and getting pregnant after Superman left who was meant to be the great love in her life.

I couldn't agree more with your assessment which is why many hardcore
Superman fans felt as if this was a gross mischaracterization of the character.

The constant pining, the eavesdropping and peeping tom just made Superman appear to much like a stalker, then knocking her up and leaving earth for 5 years without even telling her at all only made matters worse.

Lois weak damsel mentality was also something I didn't like about the film
and the fact that she has her son calling another man dad despite the fact
she knew who Jason's true father was. When one looks at all these factors
its no wonder the studio is rebooting the series.

I can see some of your points about misrepresenting the character.

Personally, I thought the movie had a lot of heart in it. And it was interesting twist on how SM handled the situation of having to leave earth from a yearning inside of wanting to know if anything was left of his orgins. Even though he is not earth human, I think most people could relate with the grip inside one's self to know as much about one's own orgins.

I thought is was well done, and underated.

I also think it is pretty difficult to make a movie after Christopher Reeves plays the part. Let's face it, the guy was not only Superman as a character, he showed this side of him being Superman in reality in his life.

Really, a tough act to follow. One way to follow an act like this is to completely put a different spin on things, which is what they did.

One way to follow an act like this is to completely put a different spin on things, which is what they did.

I have to disagree here. I like SR for the most part but they didn't put a different spin on things only continue telling a story that was already completed. For Singer the evolution of Superman II was Superman Returns. It wasn't following an act but simply continuing one. Its like someone telling a joke then the next comedian picking up the punchline and saying "So about that chicken who crossed the road, here is what he did next".

The film visually was great and I'll give him credit for that but it was a cop out plain and simple. What was worse is that the plot was a rehash of Superman I at best so it was like continuing a story by retelling the first part only slightly different....You gotta tip your hat at Marvel for attempting a Hulk reboot so soon after the original because without that mentality that it could be done, we probably wouldn't have seen a Superman movie for 10 years instead of getting one that is tenatively set for 2011....

I have to disagree here. I like SR for the most part but they didn't put a different spin on things only continue telling a story that was already completed. For Singer the evolution of Superman II was Superman Returns. It wasn't following an act but simply continuing one. Its like someone telling a joke then the next comedian picking up the punchline and saying "So about that chicken who crossed the road, here is what he did next".

The film visually was great and I'll give him credit for that but it was a cop out plain and simple. What was worse is that the plot was a rehash of Superman I at best so it was like continuing a story by retelling the first part only slightly different....You gotta tip your hat at Marvel for attempting a Hulk reboot so soon after the original because without that mentality that it could be done, we probably wouldn't have seen a Superman movie for 10 years instead of getting one that is tenatively set for 2011....

I'd have to agree here. Singer didn't try to reinvent the wheel like Nolan did with Batman and the franchise suffered for it. They even cast a Reeve look a like (not knocking Routh - he's the best thing about the film).

Never could figure why Superman would fall for such a ^^^^^ as Lois; whether it was chain smoking Margot Kidder or child endangering Bosworth. He's Superman; he could have anyone he wants!!

BB

I liked it, the atmosphere/tone, Routh's performance....I really want to see a Superman film, just like Returns, where Superman takes on the crises that our planet faces today, corruption/war, poverty, and natural disasters....

I liked it, the atmosphere/tone, Routh's performance....I really want to see a Superman film, just like Returns, where Superman takes on the crises that our planet faces today, corruption/war, poverty, and natural disasters....

Not in the realm of possibilities. War could be stopped quickly under the Superman mythos and corruption isn't in his realm....more Bats line of work he'd just take out the product of corruption. How exactly would Superman stop people from being poor? The Natural Disasters thing would be more of a Superman rescue film than anything else....

Back