Super 7 GI JOE Ultimates line speculation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another awesome wave, ordered two sets from BBTS.

Though I do wish we were getting another fun trooper of some type. I guess they didn't want to throw off the "couples" theme of this wave.

Another awesome wave, ordered two sets from BBTS.

Though I do wish we were getting another fun trooper of some type. I guess they didn't want to throw off the "couples" theme of this wave.

Yeah I was kind of anticipating a trooper style figure as well, but your reasoning makes sense. I'm in for these as well.

I just got the King Diamond Ultimates figure yesterday and the look/feel of the articulation reminds me of the Joe's a lot, so I think I'll wind up liking these.

That Flint is something I've wanted for many years. Hasbro has never given us a really cartoon-accurate look for him, but even if they did it wouldn't have the cartoon-accurate vibe that this one does. I'm ordering two of him, and getting this whole wave. If I'm being honest though, I think Destro may be the best looking Super7 Joe figure of them all. Just a perfect representation of his cartoon incarnation. Loving what they are doing with this line. The BAT is the only figure I don't want thus far, since he's post-85. Next wave needs Zartan and Firefly! But will probably include Snake Eyes V2, Storm Shadow, and Scarlett alongside a Viper or Cobra Trooper based on the first two waves.

The strategy for this line seems to be giving us heavy hitters right out the gate, which is funny to juxtapose with their Simpsons line where they are giving us obscure, D-list characters to start out the line. They clearly have less faith in the long-term sustainability of the Joe line.

I like this second wave so much, I caved and preordered both 1&2. I’m a 0 or 100 kinda guy.

Can see Wave 3 being Shipwreck, Scarlet, Zartan, and Firefly

preferred- Quick Kick, Zartan, Snowjob, Ripper

The BAT is the only figure I don't want thus far, since he's post-85.
His figure is post-85 but the character itself debuted in the comics in issue #44 which hit newsstands November 1985 with a very cool Terminator-esque cover:

71G9UU-GMPL.jpg

Yeah there were a number of characters that appeared in comics before toys. I even had a vhs for the mass device series, and they put Flint on the back with the 83 characters. Copyright was 1983.

On another note, I'm streaming arise serpentor on YouTube. My daughter came in and couldn't understand why everyone is so muscular after watching Sgt slaughter fighting Dr mind Bender. Times have changed and we probably take for granted the ridiculous comic book physiques of our cartoon characters.

His figure is post-85 but the character itself debuted in the comics in issue #44 which hit newsstands November 1985 with a very cool Terminator-esque cover:

71G9UU-GMPL.jpg

I see a nice motor boating on Miss J

Brian Flynn told The Fwoosh that Super 7 is allowed to pull from any ARAH source they want (comics, toon, toy line) as long as the finished aesthetic matches the toon so as not to overlap with Classified. That's why even though Flint comes with his original shotgun it has been reimagined as if it had appeared on the Sunbow show.

That Flint is something I've wanted for many years. Hasbro has never given us a really cartoon-accurate look for him, but even if they did it wouldn't have the cartoon-accurate vibe that this one does. I'm ordering two of him, and getting this whole wave. If I'm being honest though, I think Destro may be the best looking Super7 Joe figure of them all. Just a perfect representation of his cartoon incarnation. Loving what they are doing with this line. The BAT is the only figure I don't want thus far, since he's post-85. Next wave needs Zartan and Firefly! But will probably include Snake Eyes V2, Storm Shadow, and Scarlett alongside a Viper or Cobra Trooper based on the first two waves.

The strategy for this line seems to be giving us heavy hitters right out the gate, which is funny to juxtapose with their Simpsons line where they are giving us obscure, D-list characters to start out the line. They clearly have less faith in the long-term sustainability of the Joe line.

Yeah I think there being other very similar lines from Hasbro and even Mezco coming in for a few figures is making them do heavy hitters here. Get people on board with the aesthetic. Only 1 troop builder between the first two waves. Their usual MO for a typical 4 character wave is: 1 big hero, 1 big villain, 1 side character, 1 oddball.

I think if they were going straight with heavy hitters then we probably would have gotten the more iconic versions of SE and Baroness out of the gate. So releasing them in their less popular outfits is a way to sneak some obscurity into the first couple waves IMO.

I had canceled my preorders for the BAT and Snake Eyes a couple of weeks ago, just before the reveal of the Classified BAT. Was happy with that decision until Super 7 unveiled my two favorite characters, Flint and Lady Jaye.
So I now have those on pre-order as well as Wave 1 Cobra Commander. Will probably preorder SE again when I have confidence I'll have enough money when the time comes.

One major issue I have with this line is how they pose. I've watched videos of the wind scene Conan, Lion-O, and King Diamond. Conan poses well, but it has a terrible finish, the arms and head don't match the skin tone of the torso. KD and Lino-O on the other hand have a better finish, but they pose like there's a stick up their ass. So rigid and stiff looking. I'm willing to try out CC and see how I like these, a video from the company showing working prototypes would help, so far all they've shown are paint masters. At least I can have them standing in museum poses.

As far as the look of Wave 2, Flint and Destro look perfect, no issue with them at all. Baroness does look poorly proportioned, especially in that 3/4 side shot. She needs just slightly wider hips and slightly larger bust or, just make the waist piece slightly narrower. Jaye doesn't have the same issue thanks to the belts and her waist looks smaller however, that head sculpt looks off. It's too round, if they just lengthen the chin a little, perhaps the jaw as well it'll look closer to the art. The eyebrows are also too thin and even looking like a simple line. Her eyebrows have a more realistic thicker inner part tapering to a thinner outer part in the art. Not too much of an issue as I can paint them properly but for $55 I expect them to look like they should.

I think if they were going straight with heavy hitters then we probably would have gotten the more iconic versions of SE and Baroness out of the gate. So releasing them in their less popular outfits is a way to sneak some obscurity into the first couple waves IMO.
You are right about that. V2 Snake Eyes is probably going to be the most desirable of any figure, but having said that, they aren't giving us robot Itchy and Scratchy. The Joe equivalent would be including Dodger in wave 1.

I've watched videos of the wind scene Conan, Lion-O, and King Diamond. Conan poses well, but it has a terrible finish, the arms and head don't match the skin tone of the torso.
I don't care so much for poses, but this concerns me a great deal. I'm still hoping, perhaps unrealistically, that the final product will closely resemble what they are showing us. That's one thing I can't fault Hasbro for with the Classified line. Figures are kind of ugly to begin with in my view, but the quality of paint, etc. isn't a surprise in-hand.

If these come out with mismatched colors and sloppy paint apps I will be incredibly disappointed. I'm more excited for these figures than just about anything else out there.

I have the Super 7 cartoon versions of He-Man, She-Ra, Skeletor, Hordak, Modulok and Mantenna and they all look awesome on the shelf so I'm not too worried about how the Joes will turn out. I don't do any extreme posing so articulation isn't a huge deal for me either. Even my super articulated Classified SE is just chillin' in a neutral pose.

Super7MOTU2.jpg
Super7MOTU.jpg

Thanks for the reassurance Khev! Joes must be able to hold a rifle properly and have some kind of action stance, hoping that Brian Flynn at least understands that requirement. Not asking for deep leg crouching, just a bit of character to the pose.

Those look really nice based on those pics, Khev. Skin tone is a little shiny, but kind of works on He-Man. I'm not too concerned with the Joes, but probably prudent to expect a minor drop-off in quality from the initial solicitation pics.

Back