STORMTROOPER PF officially in development!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be the first to admit I'm not a spring of unlimited Star Wars knowledge... so that being said can someone please explain what exactly is so off about the helmet and armor? I look at it and all i see is a Stormtrooper.

You just opened up a whole can o' worms, buddy. ;)

You just opened up a whole can o' worms, buddy. ;)

can opener:

To the novice fan or casual observer, there are a certain set of characteristics a particular character needs in order for them to recognize it...most folks in the 70's would know and be happy with a stormtrooper simply in white armor -sans details, plpus aviator glasses

as time progresses and fanbases grow, familiarity with these eventual iconic characters begin to include the familiar shapes and details, and eventually the proportions of those detilas in relation to one another,
as hardcore fans, we begin to recognize if for example Vader's helmet is shot in reverse (because we know which sides have which details i.e. the silver cheek with the s-curve, the black sensor billet, the belt buckle, the colors and details on the chest box -- all indications of which version of vader and which movie -- same with a stormtrooper -- the fan who will pay 300bucks for this statue in most cases will know at least the basics of what a stormtrooper helmet looks like and would more than likely be able to spot a bad fake -- maybe not a good one.

Personally, if I can glance and be fooled into thinking that it's a photo of a favorite character, or that a genuine costume was used either for reference or as am element in the photo, that's good enough for me...

on the other hand, a nice stylish interpretation (intentional or not)that hits all the details is good too -- i.e. the koto darth maul, the lgendary bust emperor, the gamorrean guard 1/6 (lets face it, it's fatter than the actual character wrong colors- but looks amazingly good)

Bottom, line an expensive depiction of any character with a decent fan-base, should be done better and with more fidelity than most other collectibles (of less coin\)of the same character on the market.

if you were to shrink all pictures of stormtrooper collectibles to look as if they were in the same scale, ideally the most expensive should ideally be among the most faithful, or artistic, or dynamic, or impressive depictions

:) That's ok, i hear people comment about the discrepancies all the time, I just don't see it. I guess I'm not very observant.

it just depends on your familiarity and how much it matters to your enjoyment of it.

example, I really liked a particular statue - of a character I was not completely familiar with-, which I thought was truly authentic, but when someone pointed out to me that a model kit was used as a refernce and showed me how inaccurate it really was, it kind bugged me -- still nice, but not as authentic which mattered to me...sometimes ignorance IS bliss =) - but I'd rather know than not ...

it's important to me that the artists reference the original materials (otherwise its like plagerism without citing the proper references)

the prevenance and authenticity of the material goes out the window.

a copy of another's interpretation.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I like the Hot Toys Berserker Predator a lot and it doesnt bother me a bit that the head is way off from the one in the movie (that the neca action figure is even more accurate)

Last edited:
I'd recommend to go to Star Wars Helmets site, which is the best site regarding SW helmets and more. You'll see here everything you need about Stormtrooper helmets, differences between ANH/ESB/ROTJ helmets, some reviews of original SW helmets from the movie, reviews and opinions regarding licensed and fan made helmets, and also other types of SW helmets. Worth the time.

I'd recommend to go to Star Wars Helmets site, which is the best site regarding SW helmets and more. You'll see here everything you need about Stormtrooper helmets, differences between ANH/ESB/ROTJ helmets, some reviews of original SW helmets from the movie, reviews and opinions regarding licensed and fan made helmets, and also other types of SW helmets. Worth the time.

i second that -- and grab an efx helmet while thei'r at it -- or ask anyone whose got one...but I'm sure they have access to lucasfilm archives for reference if they needed it...wouldn't they? -- heck they pay enough for the license...I'm sure they wouldnt need to pay admission for access

Thanks for those links, Im with Darksider though I just didnt see a problem. I'll admit Im a total noob when it comes to Star Wars though. Really interesting stuff. I'll have to keep reading when I get some time, im on lunch break right now :)

My biggest problem is the chest area of the armor. The chest armor should look more like a "wifebeater" shirt than it does. The chest right now (and on the 1/6th figure) looks like he has a muscle-man chest much like the '95 Hasbro figure.

The helmet is also off mostly in the chin area (which is waaay too big), the aerators are too small, and it's symetrical (sp?) which is just wrong.

Just know that these problems probably aren't Sideshow's fault but more of Lucas' licensing guys having their hands in the sculpt way too much.

I dont have a problem with symmetrical -- as long as they have the right feel -- like the idealized stormtrooper helmets from efx looks alright -- the medicom vader is symmetrical but looks fine...there are ways arounf having to be entirely screen accurate as long as the main characteriing details are evident...the stormtrooper isnt known for being assymetrical and neither is vader though we know they both are...

I like the pose on the Stormie, though I wish they would make him more accurate. The 1:6 Stormtrooper figures still has its issues with the helmet and not to talk about the chest armor and cod piece.

pfstorm.jpg

Thanks! You just saved me a few hundred bucks. Now where is R2?

To these post....

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TAryFIuRxmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Threepio and R2 though, holy sheet..bought.

Just had a chance to check out those links. Thanks for those.

Once i look at the helmets right next to each other i can see that there are small differences. Though I don't think a symmetrical face and slightly larger tubes would be unorthodox enough to keep me from buying it. I actually prefer the symmetrical helmets (maybe not so much the body armor) i just think it gives it a cleaner look.

To each his own.

8_trooper_comparisons.jpg

My biggest problem is the chest area of the armor. The chest armor should look more like a "wifebeater" shirt than it does. The chest right now (and on the 1/6th figure) looks like he has a muscle-man chest much like the '95 Hasbro figure.

The helmet is also off mostly in the chin area (which is waaay too big), the aerators are too small, and it's symetrical (sp?) which is just wrong.

Just know that these problems probably aren't Sideshow's fault but more of Lucas' licensing guys having their hands in the sculpt way too much.

I don't mind the symmetrical helmet - though Gentle Giant managed to make it wonky and super accurate on their Stormtrooper bust. But I do mind the huge jaw and chin and also the armor. And somehow I'm sure we'll get a tiny cod piece as well...:monkey3

So I guess giving him some color is out of the question too huh? :wink1: I like the look they are doing now with the 1:6 line. Battle hardened armor with some stripes or insignia on them. I just think it gives the figure more dimension, but that would be EU shiz and i know some people aren't into it.

So I guess giving him some color is out of the question too huh? :wink1: I like the look they are doing now with the 1:6 line. Battle hardened armor with some stripes or insignia on them. I just think it gives the figure more dimension, but that would be EU shiz and i know some people aren't into it.

Color on a Stormtrooper?!?! To you sir...

allowmetopresentmyrebuttalp1.gif

Sorry, just been looking for an excuse to post that GIF. :wink1:

I don't mind the symmetrical helmet - though Gentle Giant managed to make it wonky and super accurate on their Stormtrooper bust. But I do mind the huge jaw and chin and also the armor. And somehow I'm sure we'll get a tiny cod piece as well...:monkey3

Hope they fix at least jaw and chin... then it's ok if symmetrical or idealized but please black chin is really too big...

Back