Step by step sculpting tutorial

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caine, what would you recommend for finishing getting that smooth look the professionals get, for the life of me I can't figure that bit out

I definitely struggle with smoothing also. People seem to use different things from turpentine to lighter fluid. I've not tried any yet.

Last edited:
Lighter fluid is awesome with 93 % rubbing alcohol a close second

Definitely, That's what I use.

Lighter fluid and a brush is good to break down a surface quickly, but you're usually left with strokes. After the fluid evaporates completely I use a really soft brush, brushing in different directions to elimate the strokes. Also, putting the sculpt in the fridge hardens the clay enough so that you can buff it to a smooth surface.

I should add that a lot of pros work in clay because its quick and then mold and cast in wax for the final sculpt which makes smoothing and detailing a lot easier because you not having to worry about damaging a soft sculpt.

Last edited:
Great tutorial, makes it look easy when you break it down into steps.

It ain't I know as I have dabbled with super sculpey pink/regular.
Got some half descent tools and will pick up some grey and try your method.
Thanks alot for sharing;)

I definitely struggle with smoothing also. People seem to use different things from turpentine to lighter fluid. I've not tried any yet.

Definitely, That's what I use.

Lighter fluid and a brush is good to break down a surface quickly, but you're usually left with strokes. After the fluid evaporates completely I use a really soft brush, brushing in different directions to elimate the strokes. Also, putting the sculpt in the fridge hardens the clay enough so that you can buff it to a smooth surface.

I should add that a lot of pros work in clay because its quick and then mold and cast in wax for the final sculpt which makes smoothing and detailing a lot easier because you not having to worry about damaging a soft sculpt.

Thanks guys, I use rubbing alcohol at the moment, I must use to much or over work it :slap

I have a question, curly hair and... go! :lol

Serious though, curly hair technique?

My pleasure. I believe Art techniques should be shared, not hoarded. I feel Anyone with artistic ability has an obligation to try and pass their knowledge on. If not it dies. There's a lot of artists out there that withhold their practices because they're scared. they're scared someone's gonna come along and do what they do better. So they keep it locked up. And Instead they point out the flaws of others and boast about how talented they themselves are...WELL! What ya gonna do? Thanks to everyone who's followed this tutorial. More to come as I finish up darko!

:exactly::goodpost:
I completely agree with this. I always share my techniques if asked, for the reasons you mentioned above.
Anyway, great tutorial, Caine! Seems we have a very similar process.
The downside for me in researching my subject so much, is that it often ruins the film a little bit for me for some reason. :monkey2
I like your way of texturing the epoxy though. I think I'll do that from now on. Ive always used super glue lids that are already slightly textured.

Ive just been using regular mens aftershave!:lol Works great!
I'll be getting some lighter fluid to try out though.

Some kind of smoothing agent is essential. The reason you struggle is because you havent tried any smoothing agent yet. ;)

Awesome tutorial. Thanks for sharing your techniques.
After reading yours, I realized I was doing a lot of things wrong. I decided to start over on the sculpt. I didnt want to invest anymore time on my sculpt that was done incorrectly. :slap

Live and learn! ;)

Excellent Cain!! Thanks for sharing and making it look easy. It is very cool to see how the pro's do it!!

Out of interest Caine did you learn to sculpt straight off the bat in 1/6 scale or did you start bigger ?. I feel I can sculpt much better at a larger scale but I suppose that makes sense. I've read a few sculptors say they can't sculpt in 1/6 at all.

Excellent Cain!! Thanks for sharing and making it look easy. It is very cool to see how the pro's do it!!

Thank you. :) No ones called me a pro before.

Out of interest Caine did you learn to sculpt straight off the bat in 1/6 scale or did you start bigger ?. I feel I can sculpt much better at a larger scale but I suppose that makes sense. I've read a few sculptors say they can't sculpt in 1/6 at all.

Pretty much. I'd done a life size ceramic arm for a project in college, but that Arnold sculpt I did was the beginning of my serious attempt at sculpting. Working in 1:6 was not only an interest for me, it was a way to learn without breaking the bank with supplies. Ive since done a few life size pieces and I guess I'd say all scales have their challenges. I wish I could do larger pieces. I REALLY wish I could make more masks and busts, just don't have the working space for it right now.

Back