Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec 15th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Comedy was awful. The beginning with Poe and Hux? Like a sitcom? I almost left the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too enjoyed my second viewing more but I still feel like they did Luke a huge injustice! Snoke was a disappointment! Rey being no one sucks! Kylo as the big bad sucks! There's absolutely no set up for the next instalment and I really can't see how they can continue to now call this the Skywalker saga!

Disney is reporting that roughly 60% of the entire TLJ opening weekend audience was male, and more than 60% was over the age of 25 (RO's average audience age was 35.)

The media seems to have latched onto "diehard" fans as being behind the backlash ("if" it exists,) and also characterizing it as a reaction by older male fans against outdated OT expectations and "progressive" casting choices (i.e. female) That some small core of older male diehards were trolling the younger majority who welcomed the new... but when 2/3's of your opening audience is older males, it makes it a little hard to swallow.

Interesting to see where this movie goes from here - repeat viewing by hardcore (and older) fans is what drives SW films to the sky-high B.O. levels.

Me not liking this movie has nothing to do with strong female leads or progressive casting. Are they kidding? I like Rey, Finn and Poe. I thought Rey was the best thing about the new trilogy but this movie took a massive dump on Luke. He doesn't have to be the main hero or even in the movie that much but don't make him a depressing, f'ed up loser. This is the the same thing WB did to Superman but somehow worse. HE WOULD NEVER CONSIDER KILLING HIS NEPHEW!! Nevermind ruining Snoke (who was just starting to seem cool), wasting Finn and time on a pointless sub-plot or not finding a cool way for Leia to exit. I think Kennedy has officially screwed up the sequels at this point.

Can we just time warp far into the future for the next movie and get as far away from this dumpster fire as we can?
Rey can be the leader of the resistance and training new Jedi and Kylo can be the evil ruler of the first order after having executed Hux(his character blows). Have Phasma as the head of the military so they can actually use her in a real meaningful way. Finn and Poe will be Rey's two lead generals. Then they can wrap this whole thing up and leave beloved characters out of this thing so they don't somehow mess them up even more. After that I just don't care.

Comedy was awful. The beginning with Poe and Hux? Like a sitcom? I almost left the room.

I felt the exact same thing. It's not that Star Wars movies shouldn't have jokes or funny moments in them (they should and have in the past), but that opening scene was just so...ugh. Bathos shows how a serious scene and/or character can be undermined by poor writing as the serious tone turns to one of hilarity. Hux and the First Order as a whole became a joke after that. There's a good reason Tarkin or Vader didn't do comedy bits in the OT.

These guys absolutely tear it apart. I laughed several times, this was genuinely more entertaining than the movie:

Trying to turn TLJ into a positive experience as best I can...

They totally cluster F-ed the Jedi's abilities in this movie too. If Luke can project physical things like dice, why not appear behind Kylo and just kill him? Hell, why not do the same to Snoke before this all got out of hand? And if Force Ghosts can alter the weather and call down lightning Obi-Wan and Yoda (or Qui-Gon) should have saved everyone a lot of trouble and just taken Palpatine's butt out a long time ago. Just face it, this movie jumped the shark, got off the bike and torched the tank then pissed in the whole audiences eyes.

So many Drama Queens in here, seriously.

This movie is dreadful of combination of :

- Jar Jar Rose.

I liked Rose, and I liked her message.

- Fin cringey story.

I found Finn far less annoying in this than TFA.

- Rebel actually ******* suicide bombers, they are real terrorist.

They always were.

- Rey practice swing lightsaber like kid and she now supersaiyan.

- Luke died as senile coward man

Luke exiled himself out of shame

- Leia Flying.

Think of it that she didn't fly, but she force pulled the ship To her :lol

- Snoke died with less screentime than Martha in BvS and MoS.

Didn't have much less screen time thn Emperor Palpatine had in Jedi.

That got things off on the wrong foot. I felt like Joss Whedon must have stepped in for some guest writing/directing there. Although TFA did the same thing, just it didn't seem quite as early - the whole ''who talks first?'' bit from Poe.

It did make some of the audience laugh but I could feel the discomfort from a lot of other people that this was not a good way to start the film.

They totally cluster F-ed the Jedi's abilities in this movie too. If Luke can project physical things like dice, why not appear behind Kylo and just kill him? Hell, why not do the same to Snoke before this all got out of hand? And if Force Ghosts can alter the weather and call down lightning Obi-Wan and Yoda (or Qui-Gon) should have saved everyone a lot of trouble and just taken Palpatine's butt out a long time ago. Just face it, this movie jumped the shark, got off the bike and torched the tank then pissed in the whole audiences eyes.

Exactly. Total disregard for what's been established. Basically, Rian Johnson created plot holes for the previous movies with his approach of Force ghosts.
We haven't even seen a living Jedi or Sith control the weather, how the **** is a Force ghost going to do that?

That was Kathleen pulling the string behind to *** things up.... you know how women logic works :monkey3

Because Luke couldn't actually interfere with the physical world around him! If you watch again he leaves no foot prints in the salt, his blade never connects with Kylo's, he's literally just there as a hologram to distract. Plus, it took everything he had and eventually killed him, so if all Jedi were to do that then they would all end up dead.

Yoda bringing about lightning to burn down the tree was a little bit like really...
But again he didn't interact with a person, only the surroundings. Plus, again if anyone failed to spot it, when Finn gets a blanket out of the draw for Rose the Ancient Jedi Texts are in the draw, so Rey basically took them and Yoda's "the books don't contain anything the girl Rey doesn't already possess" was a play on words.

Going through some of the RT scores.. It seems to me that they are at least people who have seen the film..

I read some hear say that Cinemascore is more accurate.. Well in that case Batman Forever is an A- as is Thor the Dark world..

RT seems more accurate with Thor TDW and this film.. at least in terms of what this board seems to think about the films.. And everyone know this board is law..

That site seems worthless. AOTC is A-, TPM is A-, ROTS is an A-. Every bad movie is an A-.

Because Luke couldn't actually interfere with the physical world around him! If you watch again he leaves no foot prints in the salt, his blade never connects with Kylo's, he's literally just there as a hologram to distract. Plus, it took everything he had and eventually killed him, so if all Jedi were to do that then they would all end up dead.

Yoda bringing about lightning to burn down the tree was a little bit like really...
But again he didn't interact with a person, only the surroundings. Plus, again if anyone failed to spot it, when Finn gets a blanket out of the draw for Rose the Ancient Jedi Texts are in the draw, so Rey basically took them and Yoda's "the books don't contain anything the girl Rey doesn't already possess" was a play on words.

Actually, Yoda hit Luke on the head with his ghost cane.

Actually, Yoda hit Luke on the head with his ghost cane.

Yeah true, forgot about that. But I still think that the tree thing is nitpicking, there were far bigger issues than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back