Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (12/18/15) Discussion Thread

I Think we might get the teaser Jan/Feb and the title very soon with a few cast pics.

I remember going to the theater and asking the worker just to let me in for the Phantom Menace trailer so I didn't have to pay for a movie i didn't want to see. It worked then.

They don't mean **** for casual moviegoers. But casual moviegoers don't care about anything.
If you was a fan of SW you've played these games and had an epic movie-like experience.

Nah, I could never put video games in the same place as the movies. Not saying they were not good games for their time, but it's just not the same medium.
It's transient and forgotten after a few years.

I'll just wait til it's online. Who wants to drive to the theater and pay $10 for a trailer when you can just press a few keys and voila!

I'll just wait til it's online. Who wants to drive to the theater and pay $10 for a trailer when you can just press a few keys and voila!

Agreed. I couldn't bring myself to do that these days. Having said that, I will wait and see the trailer first and hopefully have my mind blown..

Nah, I could never put video games in the same place as the movies. Not saying they were not good games for their time, but it's just not the same medium.
It's transient and forgotten after a few years.
Well there are some games that certainly are as important/iconic as any movie you're likely to think of. Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda. Even some more recent ones like Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid. But they are pretty different beasts, and now that we get so many games and see the medium evolving at such a rapid pace that I wonder if any contemporary video game can really have the long-term impact on "audiences" that a great film can, when they seem to have a short shelf life. People were ranting and raving about The Last of Us about a year ago, but I wonder if it will be more than an afterthought 5 years down the road. Maybe when we get the first mind-blowing virtual reality game you can play at home?

I'm going on record saying Avengers AOU will make more money than Ep VII.

oooouuuuuu.... that's a tricky one to call. I think EP VII will win out if the trailers are fantastic.

Avengers AOU already has it's market so to speak. What Disney are not doubt furiously working on now is how to bring in and expand the largest denominator of new fans to Star Wars. They need a whole new generation of viewers, not just us.

Quite possibly, considering Star Wars isnt on equal footing with Avengers given the release dates. In the past, Star Wars always benefitted from being released at the beginning of summer and enjoyed repeat viewing from kids out of school, the Winter time is a much different story. So, unless episode 7 qualifies as a phenomena like Star Wars did, it's ticket sales are bound to be impacted negatively by the year end release.

I could never put video games in the same place as the movies.
Games deserved to hold the same value as movies.
Stupid parents and misunderstanding of the market is what holds that from being realized.

I wonder if any contemporary video game can really have the long-term impact on "audiences" that a great film can, when they seem to have a short shelf life.
Games getting older every three years because of new hardware.
And because it's a cluster**** of a market.

I really think it's more the fact that they have a short shelf life, despite being incredibly popular at any given time. Most folks play games and enjoy them, then grow out of it and move on. Movies can be watched no matter what your age (speaking for people in general, not geeks who of course will play videogames their entire lives if they can).

Most folks play games and enjoy them, then grow out of it and move on. Movies can be watched no matter what your age.
(speaking for people in general, not geeks who of course will play videogames their entire lives if they can)
So it's perfectly ok for a grown up to watch kids movies and superhero blockbusters but childish to play good video games...
That's some **** up barbaric logic.

I love videogames, I love playing as a superhero character, being scared by a monster , flying a space ship, racing a ferrari or shooting tanks and attack helicopters.

But 99.9% of them are crap when it comes to story telling. :lol

Who the hell wants to keep up with that crazy Japanese MGS story, not I. :lol

But I so love slashing heads off as Wolverine or shooting tanks in BF4.

Games deserved to hold the same value as movies.
Stupid parents and misunderstanding of the market is what holds that from being realized.

Games getting older every three years because of new hardware.
And because it's a cluster**** of a market.

I don't think parents are to blame, most parents now a days grew up with videogames. I think Videogames as a whole are less impactful because people are less likely to repeat the experience (play again) than they are to watch a movie a second time. I'm a parent, I love Video Games, just wish I had time to play them, it's much easier for me to pop in a favorite movie than to play a game again.

Also, a movie is the same for everyone who watches it, videogames tend to be different depending on the player. Also, in order for most games to have a narrative element usually requires them to be played solo, and I can tell you, very few people enjoy spectating video games. Video games can be a great experience, but it cant be the same kind of experience as a film.

Hope that made sense.

Barbaric! :lol I don't think a lot of modern superhero movies are going to have much of a shelf life either, but the nature of a movie lends itself to being more easily accessible by folks in the future, which contributes to their importance to the masses. Even if you could download a 10 or 20 year old game and play it easily, you would have to fall back into an antiquated playing system that gamers by and large don't care to do. Like those Youtube videos where teenagers today play and mock old video games.

There's also an issue where playing a videogame all the way through requires a lot of time and energy. Most who play games don't finish them, and you don't get the full experience, which for good and bad affects perceptions. Movies are relatively short, and don't take a lot of energy to get into for the most part.

I don't think parents are to blame, most parents now a days grew up with videogames. I think Videogames as a whole are less impactful because people are less likely to repeat the experience (play again) than they are to watch a movie a second time. I'm a parent, I love Video Games, just wish I had time to play them, it's much easier for me to pop in a favorite movie than to play a game again.

Also, a movie is the same for everyone who watches it, videogames tend to be different depending on the player. Also, in order for most games to have a narrative element usually requires them to be played solo, and I can tell you, very few people enjoy spectating video games. Video games can be a great experience, but it cant be the same kind of experience as a film.

Hope that made sense.

Pretty much this.

Barbaric! :lol I don't think a lot of modern superhero movies are going to have much of a shelf life either, but the nature of a movie lends itself to being more easily accessible by folks in the future, which contributes to their importance to the masses. Even if you could download a 10 or 20 year old game and play it easily, you would have to fall back into an antiquated playing system that gamers by and large don't care to do. Like those Youtube videos where teenagers today play and mock old video games.

There's also an issue where playing a videogame all the way through requires a lot of time and energy. Most who play games don't finish them, and you don't get the full experience, which for good and bad affects perceptions. Movies are relatively short, and don't take a lot of energy to get into for the most part.

I'm asking my mother which will it be for tonight, Doctor Zhivago or GTA4. :lol

Back