Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was never a huge SW fan...more of a casual fan, mainly because SW wasn't very relevant in the late 80's and early 90's when I was younger.

Did Star Wars ever stop being relevant? I was born in 1986 and I watched all three movies on my step dads old VHS recordings at least once a fortnight in my younger days. I guess we're all different though.... I have the old British rail advert embedded in my memory however due to this! Don't make em like they used too ;)

Did Star Wars ever stop being relevant? I was born in 1986 and I watched all three movies on my step dads old VHS recordings at least once a fortnight in my younger days. I guess we're all different though.... I have the old British rail advert embedded in my memory however due to this! Don't make em like they used too ;)

Yeah, my friends and I were not huge SW fans. Even in school, it was the same with the other kids. It was all about Batman, Ghostbusters, He-man, TMNT and Terminator. Another factor was the lack of merchandise. After 83, there wasn't that much SW merchandise available, especially the action figures, not until 95 or 96, when Kenner made those new muscular SW figures, so there was more than a 10 year gap. We had all seen the films...but with no toys available, TMNT, X MEN, and Batman got our attention more. Through toys is how I became a fan of a lot of things, and I think it was the same with a lot of kids in the 70's with SW, like my brother.

Yeah, my friends and I were not huge SW fans. Even in school, it was the same with the other kids. It was all about Batman, Ghostbusters, He-man, TMNT and Terminator. Another factor was the lack of merchandise. After 83, there wasn't that much SW merchandise available, especially the action figures, not until 95 or 96, when Kenner made those new muscular SW figures, so there was more than a 10 year gap. We had all seen the films...but with no toys available, TMNT, X MEN, and Batman got our attention more.

Really? Again, Star Wars stuff made up a large percentage of my toys as a Kid in the early to late nineties. I guess they kept it going more in the UK.. I think I still have a box full of action fleet ships in the attic from later on in the decade, I gave most of it away years ago though and I was never big on figures (kenner Aliens aside). I loved Star Wars all my life even though I was born in a relatively barren time for it. I always was a big Sci Fi fan though.

Really? Again, Star Wars stuff made up a large percentage of my toys as a Kid in the early to late nineties. I guess they kept it going more in the UK.. I think I still have a box full of action fleet ships in the attic from later on in the decade, I gave most of it away years ago though and I was never big on figures (kenner Aliens aside). I loved Star Wars all my life even though I was born in a relatively barren time for it. I always was a big Sci Fi fan though.

Nah, we had no SW merchandise until 95 or 96, which was a big deal because those were the first new SW figures since the original toy line. Maybe it was still popular in Europe, but by 1985 the SW toy sales were poor and Kenner discontinued the line...until 1995 with the Power of the Force line. By then, the damaged was already done. :lol

Same here. Though I genuinely liked the next two, and still do! *ducks*

I am in the ALL STAR WARS ALL THE TIME CAMP.
I was born in 76, grew up on OT.It is all I ever knew.
But I still love the PT and EU, and I know I will love whatever else is coming down the pipe.
I guess love has blinded me, lol.

Did Star Wars ever stop being relevant?

Yes. It all depends on your age. Interest took a real nose-dive after '83 and the films were enjoyed as simple classics until the threat of the PT became real.

For many, many people, Star Wars is not relevant right now. Think of your parents. Their friends. Your grandparents. Most girls you know. Most successful people. Most really poor people. Most eskimos. A good portion of India. Half of China. It goes on and on.

I think it's pretty funny that a little over 10 years ago, people on the Internet were clamoring for Lucas to let Peter Jackson direct a Star Wars movie. Could you imagine if he had been announced as the Director of The Force Awakens nowadays?

I guess its all in the timing.

I think it's pretty funny that a little over 10 years ago, people on the Internet were clamoring for Lucas to let Peter Jackson direct a Star Wars movie. Could you imagine if he had been announced as the Director of The Force Awakens nowadays?

I guess its all in the timing.

It would be a bloated 3 and a half hour movie with lots of unnecessary fluff to get it that length. As much as I loved LotR, I really disliked the Hobbit. He just made a simple, nice story into something it wasn't. I felt he improved upon the books for LotR, but the Hobbit book was far superior to the movie.

That said, I wouldn't mind him tackling one of the anthology movies like Rogue One is. He could do some fun stuff with Star Wars, I just don't want him taking on one of the anchoring "episode" titles.

And Jye. :rotfl

It would be a bloated 3 and a half hour movie with lots of unnecessary fluff to get it that length. As much as I loved LotR, I really disliked the Hobbit. He just made a simple, nice story into something it wasn't. I felt he improved upon the books for LotR, but the Hobbit book was far superior to the movie.

That said, I wouldn't mind him tackling one of the anthology movies like Rogue One is. He could do some fun stuff with Star Wars, I just don't want him taking on one of the anchoring "episode" titles.

And Jye. :rotfl

Exactamundo. If you love the book so much, why make movies with added plots, added characters and other stuff and trim out things actually in the book? It could've been so good with two 2 hour movies.

Back