1/6 Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - 1/6th scale Darth Vader 40th Anniversary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So from what I gather with these comments, the biggest issue is moisture, mixed with how the figure has been handled/posed.
I also see a few of you are using 301 (I'm familiar with it), wouldn't that accelerate deterioration? Since it would keep it moisturized?
I have some leather treatment from Chemical Guys that I've been contemplating on trying, but since it's not real leather I've been a little hesitant to apply it.
It sounds like stuffing a diorama or character display stand with extra silica gels might be a good idea as well.

I've been wanting to get this version (ESB) of Vader for a few years now, so I instantly jumped on it when he got re-issued with the 40th AE.
And while the figure looks amazing, it sucks that they knew about this matter but didn't even bother to change any of the material when they re-released it. :S

You agreed with a person who said it's a materials issue, then cited numerous environmental factors that accelerate the deterioration process, essentially refuting the argument that it was a materials issue.

I agree that pleather can peel, or deteriorate with age, but it's no different than any other material, even real leather changes as it ages. Paint will fade, cotton will break down over numerous washer/dryer cycles. Metal will rust. And yes, there are methods, or treatments, you can use to prolong the life of the figure, but none of that means that Hot Toys uses poor materials.

The reality is Hot Toys are sold worldwide and people across the world live in a variety of climates, and these climates have wildly different environmental factors that affect the aging process of these figures.
These are just a few pictures showing the degradation of Hot Toys pleather, you can find countless more online. It is well known in the collecting world that Hot Toys rubber and pleather are poor quality, people even contacted Hot Toys about these things but no reply. It is not just the environment/humidity, there are collectors in various parts of the world who have issues with rotting pleather. Sideshow pleather is better quality than Hot Toys. But keep telling yourself Hot Toys figures are made of the highest quality materials, it will help LOL...

Pleather damage Crow.jpg

Pleather damage Hot Toys quarter scale Vader.jpg

Pleather damage Hot Toys RO Vader.jpg

Pleather damage Starlord.jpg

Pleather damage Terminator Arnold.jpg

Pleather damage Terminator John Connor.jpg

These are just a few pictures showing the degradation of Hot Toys pleather, you can find countless more online. It is well known in the collecting world that Hot Toys rubber and pleather are poor quality, people even contacted Hot Toys about these things but no reply. It is not just the environment/humidity, there are collectors in various parts of the world who have issues with rotting pleather. Sideshow pleather is better quality than Hot Toys. But keep telling yourself Hot Toys figures are made of the highest quality materials, it will help LOL...

View attachment 538542

View attachment 538543

View attachment 538546

View attachment 538549

View attachment 538554

View attachment 538558
Not sure on the rest of the figs, but that HT Crow is poorly managed! exposed to moisture and dust like that I am not surprised to see his pants and coat deteriorated.
As for the Vader suit not sure if its being displayed without case/protection but it broke where the crotch grabber touches the suit, to me it looks like repeated stress being applied into that area hence the tear.

But I have to agree on John C v1 and The Crow's pleather material is low quality.

Last edited:
The thing is that Hot Toys pleather will degrade faster than many other types of pleather, like Sideshow for example, in the same conditions. Medicom pleather is closer to Hot Toys in quality, I've seen many Vader figures from Medi having pleather damage too. My ROTS Medi Vader had pleather damage on his back and on right side.

I don't trust pleather as a material in general, and even less the thin Hot Toys version of pleather. More power to the people who believe the pleather used by Hot Toys is great. But let's hope their dreams won't be crushed by the reality, in shorter time than we'd all want.

The thing is that Hot Toys pleather will degrade faster than many other types of pleather, like Sideshow for example, in the same conditions. Medicom pleather is closer to Hot Toys in quality, I've seen many Vader figures from Medi having pleather damage too. My ROTS Medi Vader had pleather damage on his back and on right side.

I don't trust pleather as a material in general, and even less the thin Hot Toys version of pleather. More power to the people who believe the pleather used by Hot Toys is great. But let's hope their dreams won't be crushed by the reality, in shorter time than we'd all want.
I have two of my Terminator figures, MMS117 and DX13, in front of me, with pleather goods, and have not to date shown any signs of peeling. But, I see peeling and cracking of the thin pleather layer, as an inevitable end to all HT figures with the material.

Pleather is probably the number one deterrent for a lot of figures for me. Sucks that DV has to be covered in it:blissysmi

View attachment 538542

View attachment 538543

View attachment 538546

View attachment 538549

View attachment 538554

View attachment 538558

Your post is full of logical fallacies. You have sampling bias, selection bias, common belief fallacy, and a strawman argument. This is not a serious argument.

You've been re-posting those same pictures for a few years now. That's not convincing evidence, particularly if all those people live in adverse environments. But you're likely not gathering that information.

Even if there were 10 people in this thread from all parts of the world, one in Thailand, one in California, one in Canada, one in Australia, Germany, Norway, Russia, etc. That's 10 instances in probably at least 3,000 pieces. That's only a .3% failure rate, that's nothing.

Your post is full of logical fallacies. You have sampling bias, selection bias, common belief fallacy, and a strawman argument. This is not a serious argument.

You've been re-posting those same pictures for a few years now. That's not convincing evidence, particularly if all those people live in adverse environments. But you're likely not gathering that information.

Even if there were 10 people in this thread from all parts of the world, one in Thailand, one in California, one in Canada, one in Australia, Germany, Norway, Russia, etc. That's 10 instances in probably at least 3,000 pieces. That's only a .3% failure rate, that's nothing.
Relax dude, it's just a figure. Be happy that your figure is ok for now. Geez

Seems that this is on JC Hong 's mind as well. He just shared this...

I don't speak Korean, so I didn't watch all the video, but seems he uses Armor All Leather Care. From what was posted long ago on various forums and boards seems Armor All is not recommended for pleather. Is this a new formula that goes for both leather and pleather?

i checked on Amazon for the 303 Aerospace Protectant and there are many different versions of it. Which one specifically should i get? There is a 303 spray just for leather and vinly - should i get that one?

Would the 303 specifically for Vinyl and leather be a better option? Ill purchase this soon and give all my leather figures a treatment 2-3 times per year.

I have a Medicom ROTS Darth Vader where the pleather literally fell apart as i handled it for the first time in 2-3 years. I was so upset i immediately purchased a 40th Anniversary ESB Hot Toys Vader. I want to ensure this one stands the test of time.

Obviously preventing the peeling in the first place is ideal, but has anyone tried to repair it? Seems like it would be possible (especially if you catch it early and it’s not too big of an area). There’s lots of info/products out there to repair peeling pleather. The results don’t look too bad in this video:

So is the consensus that SS Dark Vader figures tend to outlast HT in the faux leather, and that maintenance will keep the SS figures in a good state?

Back