1/6 Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - 1/6th scale Darth Vader 40th Anniversary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sideshow Vader's all have suits that are in the original condition as released. My hot toy Vader's are in the same condition as when brand new as well. I have not done anything to the suits at all. I live in Texas where it usually dry and no humidity.

Obviously preventing the peeling in the first place is ideal, but has anyone tried to repair it? Seems like it would be possible (especially if you catch it early and it’s not too big of an area). There’s lots of info/products out there to repair peeling pleather. The results don’t look too bad in this video:

A technique I was made aware of is if your figure has completely deteriorated. Peal off the remaining pleather, clean the jacket (the crow jacket I did this on) apply 1 or 2 layers of PVA glue. This then produces a layer between the material and paint. Then put down your paint with as many layers as you desire and finally, another layer of PVA glue. Once dried you can seal it with either a matte or gloss finish. I’m ever so happy with the results!

Last edited:
A technique I was made aware of is if your figure has completely deteriorated. Peal off the remaining pleather, clean the jacket (the crow jacket I did this on) apply 1 or 2 layers of PVA glue. This then produces a layer between the material and paint. Then put down your paint with as many layers as you desire and finally, another layer of PVA glue. Once dried you can seal it with either a matte or gloss finish. I’m ever so happy with the results!
What is a PVA glue?

Yeah i know, I just dont want to buy the entire figure lol. Just the head. I'm fine with the Sideshow besides that. Usually you can find parts on Ebay but guess it's a too old figure. :)

which outfit do you think is better the v2 sideshow rotj outfit of HOT toys version ? as i have the ss vader v2 vader outfit
Ive got the HT ESB outfit, but I really like the sideshow one. I’m using it on my ESB custom.
5C3082E4-CB07-4BAC-B173-25134B7367B5.jpeg
1304B45A-DF15-48F7-91C5-502A0D61D058.jpeg

I used Vader's jumpsuit from sideshow's very first release, which is still holding up quite well for its age.

Back