Star Wars Live Action and Clone Wars TV shows

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars Live action and Clone wars TV shows

Honestly, I don't like the idea of having to pay for stuff that I'd normally get for free on TV.

Would you like it if the first 3 episodes of LOST/Heroes were shown in a theater?

Think of it like you're paying to see it early and in twice the resolution and with amazing sound.

Honestly, I don't like the idea of having to pay for stuff that I'd normally get for free on TV.

Would you like it if the first 3 episodes of LOST/Heroes were shown in a theater?

Oh, they get our money in the end, usually. Whether it be DVD or merchandise.

Here is how I look at it: we can buy a tix to something that enables those profits to go toward paying for the next 97 episodes that we may not have gotten otherwise! Paying a little green in the theatre (and seeing a cool looking show on the Big Screen no less!) paves the way for other big profile shows like down the road....whatever we think about George Lucas as a bonafide storyteller, he sure is a smart businessman! If that means I get 100 Clone Wars episodes because of it, hey, bring it on!!!

So, I do not mind buying a tix to something I normally would see on just tv!

Last edited:

Missed this thread! For those who are interested...

Variety posted this news about the upcoming "Clone Wars" series:

Animated 'Star Wars' to hit theaters

Another "Star Wars" tale is on its way to the bigscreen, but it won't be distributed by Fox.

Lucasfilm has partnered with Warner Bros. Pictures and Turner Broadcasting on "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," a 3-D toon that will bow in theaters this August before moving to the smallscreen in the fall. The Aug. 15 feature will set the stage for the spinoff skein, which will bow on Cartoon Network, followed by airings on TNT. International release dates for the feature and TV series are still being set.

Multiplatform project is an expansion of the earlier "Clone Wars" microseries that aired on Cartoon Network. However, Fox's homevid arm released those episodes on DVD, just as it has distributed every "Star Wars" theatrical release since 1977.

Lucasfilm said Warner Bros.' cable and theatrical resources made it an especially good fit for the project. "We're trying to do something unprecedented -- marrying TV series and theatrical release," a rep said.

Under this deal, Warner will release the film and TV skein on DVD.

Warner execs eagerly tracked the project throughout the development process, and decided to give the property a theatrical launch after seeing footage.

"I don't know anyone who wouldn't want it," said Stuart Snyder, president and chief operating officer of Turner Animation, Young Adults and Kids Media, who said a theatrical launch "has always been contemplated as part of the process."

The "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" movie is expected to run around 100 minutes and pick up between episode II and III. Anakin Skywalker is not yet Darth Vader. The story will then continue in 30-minute smallscreen installments.

George Lucas, who has revisited the property and time again over the decades, said he mounted this new spinoff because he "felt there were a lot more 'Star Wars' stories left to tell." He said he wanted to tell them through animation, pushing the technology forward at the same time.

Lucas serves as exec producer on the project, which will primarily employ voice actors. The only original actors returning are Anthony Daniels as C3PO and Matthew Wood as General Grievous and the battledroids.

Dave Filoni is the helmer. Henry Gilroy, Scott Murphy and Steven Melching are the writers. Catherine Winder is producer.

Lucasfilm Animation has already produced more than 30 episodes in the TV skein, with production continuing in Singapore and Taiwan. On Tuesday, Lucasfilm is launching an online Web docu about the project at Starwars.com.

Well...it's a novel way to launch the show...and releasing it in August after the summer blockbusters have worn out their welcome (and before kds head back to school) should fill the seats. I am surprised Fox isn't involved, but Cartoon Network is getting it which does make sense...
I like the idea of seeing this on a big screen "first" before the weekly installments start...should be fun.

Absolutely! Actually, you've hit on a really great idea....instead of crap commercials and endless trailers for crap nobody wants to see, I'd love it if the studios partnered up to have episodes of popular shows paired up with different films...the concept could be considered the great grandchild of the featurette or the newsreel...and be a novel new way of attracting folks to the theatres...

But that's a whole 'nother topic....

I wonder how this film would interactwith all of the expanded universe books that have been written between episodes 2 and 3. Will this be considered just an expanded universe film, or is it a part of true Star Wars continuity?

I wonder how this film would interactwith all of the expanded universe books that have been written between episodes 2 and 3. Will this be considered just an expanded universe film, or is it a part of true Star Wars continuity?

Hold on. Theres continuity in Star Wars? :confused:

No doubt, this show will likely be filled with contradictions to the films, novels and comics already in place, but it'll be entertaining I'm sure. I like that it's going to debut on the big screen because it means a likelihood that the first hour and a half, 2 hours, of the show will be movie proportions, but then again, the show could be a downer if all the steam is exhausted on the premier.

My understanding is the episodes will be put on tv too, so you can pass on the theater and see it on tv.

I like the idea, as IMO SW is always more awesome on the big screen, and I'd pay to see lots of things on the big screen that I'd get for free on tv.

Hell, I'd pay to see Predator on the bigscreen and that movies on tv all the time.

I hope the movie offered in Imax 3D, that would be awesome.

I know that Cartoon Network and TNT have HD channels on DirecTV, but has either channel shown true HD shows or do they do stretch-o-vision? I haven't checked out either channel in the past few months.

I'd prefer to see this in HD since I'm an HD snob now.

My understanding is the episodes will be put on tv too, so you can pass on the theater and see it on tv.

Actually, the concept is that the movie will be a self-contained 100 minute story that will set up the TV show. It will also be released separately on DVD. It'll be on TV at some point (everything is), but from what I'm hearing the theatrical film will not be split up into the first 3-4 episodes of the show this Fall, as some are assuming. The show has some 20+ episodes of its own that they'll jump right into.

i would love to see more Star Wars in the theater!

Actually, the concept is that the movie will be a self-contained 100 minute story that will set up the TV show. It will also be released separately on DVD. It'll be on TV at some point (everything is), but from what I'm hearing the theatrical film will not be split up into the first 3-4 episodes of the show this Fall, as some are assuming. The show has some 20+ episodes of its own that they'll jump right into.

Hmm. Thats not how I read the announcement at first glance, but rereading it, you are probably right.

My guess is the film will come out on DVD (and possibly air on TV) right before the series goes to its normal run.

really really looking forward to the animated shows! The last versions were amazing. Still a bit wary of the live action series at the moment. The fact that this is in theaters will open it up to a wider audience, a lot of casual watchers won't know about the series no matter how much they advertise.

There's even talk of Samuel L. Jackson Doing the Mace Windu voice, it's gonna be really great this!!!!

D:chew:chew:chew:chew:chew:chew

This is exciting news!!! Great to finally have some new Star Wars content on the horizon. :chew

If the early look is any indication, this might be the best new "Star Wars" film to hit theaters since 1983. :monkey3

This series looks amazing. Everyone must go to Starwars.com and see the video that pops up on the main page.

That Ahksana chick is awesome! Probably one of the best original characters in a long time! I know I'll be seeing these in theaters on opening weekend!!!

:bunnydanc

Is there a single SW fan not looking forward to this? I can't wait!

Here's the sneak peek again. :chew

it may have been discussed but i don't want to read through numerous pages....has anyone announced any plans to produce some maquettes, similar to GG's, for this movie? didn't GG say they weren't producing anymore CW maquettes?

it may have been discussed but i don't want to read through numerous pages....has anyone announced any plans to produce some maquettes, similar to GG's, for this movie? didn't GG say they weren't producing anymore CW maquettes?

There is going to be tons of stuff geared toward this. Figures, statues, maquettes, busts, etc.

What has ended are the lines (including the mini comics) based on the previous Animated CW. The reason for that is because LFL wants the licensees to switch gears to this one.

What remains to be seen is if Gentle Giant will then steal the style of this animation to exploit their other licenses like they did last time (LOTR, Pirates, Horror, etc). :rolleyes:

Is there a single SW fan not looking forward to this? I can't wait!

Here's the sneak peek again. :chew

That looks pretty cool indeed, I just don't want any merchandise from the show and I hope Sideshow sticks to actual Movie stuff.

Back