Star Wars Live Action and Clone Wars TV shows

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't like the show, why are you in the thread? :dunno

That was just a suggestion. I've always been in the camp that believed Mace was stronger than Yoda. :huh

But see, that's just it. We don't know if Maul's just playing a "Ben Kanobi" for Savage. And in that vein it would work brilliantly. But if Savage is a means to bring back Maul, I think that would be a waste.

I'm fearing that

My 2 cents on Maul: falling is not a reliable way to kill a jedi/sith. Luke let himself fall in ESB and we saw his downward trajectory altered by the force - no one had a problem with that. Sometimes, someone gets lucky and scores a kill with a fall (the Emp in ROTJ, we see the force energy explosion when he goes "splat!" in the core of the Death Star). But if a jedi or sith can manipulate things with the force, why wouldn't they save themselves from a fall by slowing their decent or altering their course? Maul gets severed in two - below any vitals, by a lightsaber, which would cauterize any wounds and prevent hemorrhage. And, apparantly, he's been armed by Sidious with the knowledge of how to cheat death. So, I find it plausible that this particular character could have survived the events of TMP. Ditto Asajj with her fall in TCW microseries. She had a similar fall in the Dark Horse comics at the hands of Anakin and managed to survive. There is precedent for this kind of thing within the SW universe. Lucas didn't come up with the idea of resurrecting Maul, that was done in the Dark Horse "Visionaries" one-shot; Lucas is just demanding that it now be incorporated into his Clone Wars series.

As far as Lucas wanting it to happen, I can't help but be struck by the timing; Maul returns as TMP is about to be re-released in 3D. Hasbro's packaging for 2012 incorporates Maul. It's shrewd marketing savvy to bring back Maul. Plus he MUST realize what a huge mistake he made by 'killing off' a fan-favorite character so unceremoniously, without even exploring the potential for character development that this (mostly) silent assassin presents. Oh Maul, we hardly knew ye...

My main concern is that the story be done well; I really want to see Maul in a love/hate mentoring role with Savage and a solid, riveting tale of aggression, betrayal, and revenge. Rogue elements like Asajj, Oppress, and now "Maul Reborn" have the potential to be so much fun because they are unknown factors in a known SW formula. Let's at least see this new storyline in it's proper context before tearing it apart.

Sidious never learned how to cheat death, he killed Plagueis before he learned the secret himself. And he most certainly wouldn't have taught it to Maul if he had. There are Force techniques to help recovery, but that would depend on how your concentration would be after being cut in half. And if Maul had human anatomy, he definitely would have had some major organ damage.

keep in mind, this is a cartoon that is based on a series of films that feature robots, teddy bears, laser swords, talking slugs, and horse-lizards.

Sidious never learned how to cheat death, he killed Plagueis before he learned the secret himself. And he most certainly wouldn't have taught it to Maul if he had. There are Force techniques to help recovery, but that would depend on how your concentration would be after being cut in half. And if Maul had human anatomy, he definitely would have had some major organ damage.

Apparently, he learned something. Didn't he return after being killed in RotJ? I heard he returned, and I heard he was cloned. Never read the books so feel free to correct me.

There is precedent for this kind of thing within the SW universe. Lucas didn't come up with the idea of resurrecting Maul, that was done in the Dark Horse "Visionaries" one-shot; Lucas is just demanding that it now be incorporated into his Clone Wars series.

As far as Lucas wanting it to happen, I can't help but be struck by the timing; Maul returns as TMP is about to be re-released in 3D. Hasbro's packaging for 2012 incorporates Maul. It's shrewd marketing savvy to bring back Maul. Plus he MUST realize what a huge mistake he made by 'killing off' a fan-favorite character so unceremoniously, without even exploring the potential for character development that this (mostly) silent assassin presents. Oh Maul, we hardly knew ye....

visonaries was always intented as a "what if" and a good one at that

yes it was a mistake perhaps to not develop maul but it actually mades him better because he was under developed.
he was interesting and there was more to him and so his death has impact.

hence savage redress

but no maul died and its frankly crap to bring him back.

i really want to like this cartoon and some eps have been awesome
bt generally ill stick with the mini and the dark horse stuff as my cannon and this crap is fluff. shame but there you go ...................

keep in mind, this is a cartoon that is based on a series of films that feature robots, teddy bears, laser swords, talking slugs, and horse-lizards.

:lol:goodpost::exactly:

We, as fan, really do get wrapped up in minutia a lot of the time. It's funny how perceptions run. When TMP was new, there was HUGE anticipation for Maul when he was previewed in the trailers...and then the film came out. Everyone thought Maul's design was cool, everyone loved Duel of the Fates (except the fans who got wrapped up in the minutia of "why didn't Obi Wan use force speed to save Qui Gonn? Why did Maul just stand there like a ****** and let Obi Wan cut him in half?" etc. :lol), but the consensus was: how come Lucas developed this cool character, only to give him three or four lines, about 10 minutes of screen time, and then he gets killed? Huh? I like that he had a mysterious air about him, but Vader was mysterious in ANH, yet he was a pretty central character and even got to survive into the next film. I think even Lucas would say that he miscalculated with Maul's 'death' (and he doesn't admit to being wrong about much). So now he is trying to rectify the situation with a show that can explore an alternate fate for the ill-fated Sith lord. My feeling is to give it a chance and see what's actually been done with the story before savaging it. The CW has had it's share of misses, but there's been some good stuff also. The series really is a mixed bag. I personally really liked the notion of Sith witches creating Savage, so I'm hoping the Maul story arc ranks among the good episodes. Time will tell...

visonaries was always intented as a "what if" and a good one at that

Oh, I know. And I don't expect Lucas to feel bound by that story, but he often "draws" inspiration from other sources, i.e. Aayla Secura. The "Visionaries" story likely planted a seed in his mind as well. I'm hoping they'll keep his look from that comic for this story, though - the long horns and the cyborg legs are awesome. Savage's long horns via the Nightsisters give me hope that those will be present with Maul, and the cybernetic legs would tie in nicely with certain other cyborgs in the Saga, such as Grievous and Vader. Heck, even Luke got a robot hand as we wondered if he would suffer the same fate as his father. There's a certain symmetry to it.

yes it was a mistake perhaps to not develop maul but it actually mades him better because he was under developed.
he was interesting and there was more to him and so his death has impact.

It did? Really? I didn't feel that way. Qui Gonn's death had impact. Obi Wan's death had impact. Vader's death had impact. Maul was a guy who could fight like crazy getting cut in two.

but no maul died and its frankly crap to bring him back.

Maybe, maybe not. By the end of ANH, we thought Luke's father had died at the hands at Vader. It was probably a good thing for the Saga that this had turned out not to be the case! :wink1: Let's at least see what they DO with Maul...

It did? Really? I didn't feel that way. Qui Gonn's death had impact. Obi Wan's death had impact. Vader's death had impact. Maul was a guy who could fight like crazy getting cut in two.

I actually felt kinda cheated that Maul was killed off at the end of TPM. Especially after him being the key marketing aspect. :lol

Last night's episode was VERY.....random. Again, so many homages to other stuff but I can't say I disliked it as much as the other episodes this season. It was cool to see Neyo's 91st Recon Corps though. I am however, pretty excited about the 4 episode arc coming in two weeks. I just hope half that arc isn't political crap

Just got back from WM and picked up the Season Three BR....guess they got it in on Friday with the Green Lantern stuff (same studio) and put it out early....so if anyone's interested in getting it early, go check out your local WM....

One side note...sad to see the "hardbook" style package with the art stuff and notes has been abandoned this time for a standard case and tri-fold liner notes...feels a little cheap after the two previous season's nice package presentations. And of course, the lesser package doesn't make the set any cheaper....ah, well. Now to pop the discs in and see how they look/sound....

It seems like last night's episode will be revisited from the point of view of the jedi. That's the feeling I got from it anyway...

Maybe, maybe not. By the end of ANH, we thought Luke's father had died at the hands at Vader. It was probably a good thing for the Saga that this had turned out not to be the case! :wink1: Let's at least see what they DO with Maul...

Exactly why it had impact for me. They buil him up and the whammo he's toast. Rather than degrade him through a over use and then meh hes gone ( clone emperor being a good example of this)

I see the wink but whilst I have no choice but to wait and
See I wait without much hope. :monkey2

Star Wars is awesome. Get cut in half and fall into a pit hundreds of feet deep? No problem. Have a bad day and lose the will to live? See ya! :lol

:lol:lol:rotfl:lol:lol

It would have been tasteful for Savage to be trained by a hologram of Maul, they did this in the Force Unleashed game. That would make sense, training for his brother, in the event he died to have revenge. Giving Maul robot legs is an abomination to one of the greatest villains ever created. This is the end for me. I've had enough and lost the will to live...for Star Wars. Darth Maul has become the true representation of Star Wars. His death in Episode 1 marks the death of Star Wars. He represented how cool it could be and then bam, gone...forever. Only to be brought back to beat the crap out of the one cool thing that existed in the prequels.

Back