Star Wars: Andor (September 21st, 2022)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best new character in all of Disney Wars. Every galaxy has them!

f719dc5d17dcdba5a7ca18e57d065e6c2ff7b06d.gif

I can answer the 70s part. It’s my favourite era of films, a good 50% of what I watch is from that decade. All of those films you mentioned are among my favourite films. I still don’t like Andor. Or maybe I should say I don’t like it as much as I want to like it. I like the darker more adult tone, I think it’s probably just the lack of Star Wars feel that does it for me. Atm it just feels like generic Blade Runner wannabe sci-fi to me. If it had the familiarity then I could tolerate the slowness and exploration of the mundane more. It doesn’t help that I find the main actor the worst actor in the show either. Every time Stellan Skarsgard is on the screen though my interest is suddenly piqued. I’d happily watch a show with him as the main focus.
Well, ****. So much for that theory, then. :lol I appreciate the insight. :duff

A Star Wars fan wanting more of the familiar SW feel from the show certainly makes sense. My experience with the first 3 episodes had me feeling a bit the same, but the Mothma and ISB scenes in every episode since went a long way, and the heist in ep6 fully alleviated that. Now it feels very much like SW to me, but just in a more of a nuts-and-bolts and "real" sort of way.

Your preference for Skarsgard scenes in particular seems to be a common take with quite a few fans. For me, Luna's portrayal of Cassian is fine, but it's the Denise Gough portrayal of Dedra that I come away from each episode enjoying most. Maybe she'll eventually get to interrogate Luthen and we'll both have scenes to be enthusiastic about.

Glad you're sticking with the show, though. Hopefully these last three episodes incorporate enough of a SW vibe for you to enjoy the whole series more as result. I'm actually optimistic about the chances for that as I'm expecting a rousing end to the season, knowing that a memorable conclusion would be the best way to keep a second season (that's such a long way away) something to look forward to.

Well, ****. So much for that theory, then. :lol I appreciate the insight. :duff

A Star Wars fan wanting more of the familiar SW feel from the show certainly makes sense. My experience with the first 3 episodes had me feeling a bit the same, but the Mothma and ISB scenes in every episode since went a long way, and the heist in ep6 fully alleviated that. Now it feels very much like SW to me, but just in a more of a nuts-and-bolts and "real" sort of way.

Your preference for Skarsgard scenes in particular seems to be a common take with quite a few fans. For me, Luna's portrayal of Cassian is fine, but it's the Denise Gough portrayal of Dedra that I come away from each episode enjoying most. Maybe she'll eventually get to interrogate Luthen and we'll both have scenes to be enthusiastic about.

Glad you're sticking with the show, though. Hopefully these last three episodes incorporate enough of a SW vibe for you to enjoy the whole series more as result. I'm actually optimistic about the chances for that as I'm expecting a rousing end to the season, knowing that a memorable conclusion would be the best way to keep a second season (that's such a long way away) something to look forward to.
It could be something as simple as Star Wars burn out. Basically Kenobi was the pinnacle for me, or to put it another way was supposed to be the pinnacle for me. McGregor’s Obi-Wan has always been my favourite character, and that show being treated as just another low budget Star Wars show left me completely deflated… especially after Book of Boba Fett. It’s hard to come back from that. So the tone and slow pace of Andor probably wasn’t what I needed right after that. Going into a rip-roaring season of Mando might’ve been the ideal solution/comfort blanket for me personally, and then going into something like Andor. Maybe that’s how some others are feeling, especially those who grew up with the prequels.

I’ve always wanted a much darker more adult tone in Star Wars, as the Old Republic (books, comics, games etc.) is my favourite era. Hopefully Andor, and The Acolyte, acts as a gateway to doing that type of material. I couldn’t see them going straight from Book of Boba Fett and Bad Batch straight to Darth Bane for example.

For me I could care less if The Holiday Special and Caravan of Courage had just preceded Andor because quality writing is quality writing and i’m going to enjoy and appreciate the hell out it right now and just live in the moment and not worry about the past.

What it lacks in swashbuckling laser sword action is more than made up for with intense delicate drama.

I would go as far as saying that the espionage thriller in Andor is better than the previous 4 James Bond movies.

How the Empire and Rebels go about with their intricate chess movements has been as thrilling too watch as an action scene from Mando.

My senses were starving for this exciting new SW.

We all should be grateful of this gift that Gilroy has given us.

And for Kennedy, Pablo Hidalgo and the story group for hiring him in the first place..

:chase

Last edited:
That’s a generalisation. I love reading (50-70 books a year), love slow-burn sci-fi (Dune, Blade Runner 2049, 2001: A Space Odyssey etc.), refuse to have my phone anywhere near me while watching films or shows, yet I’m bored to tears with this show and quite frankly dislike it. You don’t have to fit a certain mould to dislike this show. There’s a heck of a lot snobbery going around on here and other places regarding this show.
Yeah it is generalizing but think it's also true. I can't see there's anything for the audience sector who is into cute, "shipping", or kick-butt action scenes to key into. Although we may get some kick butt action scenes.

The show has a brooding tension, and it's grim and realistic. But sure, you don't have to be a certain mould to dislike anything. Most of the world wouldn't agree with me that Infinity War and End Game weren't all that - I don't rewatch them and don't own much connected with those films.

What it lacks in swashbuckling laser sword action is more than made up for with intense delicate drama.

I would go as far as saying that the espionage thriller in Andor is better than the previous 4 James Bond movies.

How the Empire and Rebels go about with their intricate chess movements has been as thrilling too watch as an action scene from Mando.

My senses were starving for this exciting new SW.

We all should be grateful of this gift that Gilroy has given us.
Weeeellll - sorry to the fans of Rings of Power, but after watching the superb Sandman (well written and well produced) and then there's the terrible writing IMO in ROP - then there had been Obi, too - I was starved for some *&^%-ing good writing.

Especially after Obi (and ROP) and even Thor - felt like, can anyone out there write anymore who doesn't sound like a 13 year old (nothing against 13 year olds, but these people are adults getting paid millions). Am thrilled with the nuances of these characters - not just anti-heroes, but someone like Luthen Rael who will sacrifice innocents if need be. Is he good? bad? Wrong?, if sooner or later the boot of the Empire is going to come down on all?

Like with Obi - they didn't even have to do anything different, just keep him cunning, humorous, dodging the Empire - it was all there, and they just made him morbidly depressed WTF. :stake
Anyway can't wait for the next episode, I like the ratcheting tension until my head explodes from the stress.:taz

Last edited:
Best new character in all of Disney Wars. Every galaxy has them!

f719dc5d17dcdba5a7ca18e57d065e6c2ff7b06d.gif
HAHA! No wonder this dude went to work off world and desires to work for the Empire. He's like, "Emperor Palpatine? Can't be any worse than my mother..."

Plus every morning, eating his imperial cereal with the blue Star Wars milk.

HAHA! No wonder this dude went to work off world and desires to work for the Empire. He's like, "Emperor Palpatine? Can't be any worse than my mother..."

Plus every morning, eating his imperial cereal with the blue Star Wars milk.
A certain Hitchcock character imbedded in SW. Except Dedra's a tough customer with no time for some whacko that might make her look bad, especially when he tries to steal her clothes from the locker room, and has poor Syril booted to a prison similar to Cassian's.

All goes well, and Syril's team is always number one, until Palpatine is having the new ship "URDED666" (affectionately called the Annihilator) tested, and the resulting explosion takes out the wing of Syril's prison. A camera zooms in on Dedra's tiny smile when she eventually gets the news. She does make sure Syril's mother gets a medal for service to the Empire. :monkey3

Another solid episode. The prison break wasn't some sort of spectacular complicated master plan, but felt rushed and chaotic the way it probably would feel. I think that it was another example of Imperial hubris that they thought they could rely on the 'hot' floor to keep the prisoners in line and didn't have any proper back-up or failsafe for if it went down. Really loved the DH-17 getting some action.

Once again Stellan Skarsgard really made Luthen feel so intense.

Whenever Kino was looking worried, all I could see was this:

1667987134900.png

1667987077155.png

Which I guess goes to show how talented the team was to make a CGI character that expressive 20 years ago.

I agree!!
Serkis and Skaarsgard are the standards in this series.
The last 5 minutes were intense on a different level.
"I'm gonna assume I'm already dead, and take it from there"
Spoiler Spoiler:

Absolutely amazing, Kino Loy is definitely a new favourite of mine; Andy Serkis really stole the show these last couple of episodes.
He was great, but Diego Luna brought it as well. And it was telling that when they took the control center and it was time for Kino to come up with inspirational words (when addressing the entire facility) he could do no better than repeat Andor’s words to him verbatim. In doing so Kino acknowledged Andor’s leadership qualities and in a way passed the torch. Just excellent writing and acting all around.

Dunno I felt a bit deflated, maybe I was ready for some feel-good trope, and that's not what happened.
Like real life when you need a break and all you get is another bill.:pow

Then again, it was pretty *&^%$ early in the morning:eek::eek::eek: 'coz I just HAD TO KNOW.
Will rewatch today...look forward to being able to binge watch one day. Performances are stellar IMO.

Another solid episode. The prison break wasn't some sort of spectacular complicated master plan, but felt rushed and chaotic the way it probably would feel. I think that it was another example of Imperial hubris that they thought they could rely on the 'hot' floor to keep the prisoners in line and didn't have any proper back-up or failsafe for if it went down. Really loved the DH-17 getting some action.

Once again Stellan Skarsgard really made Luthen feel so intense.

Whenever Kino was looking worried, all I could see was this:

1667987134900.png

1667987077155.png

Which I guess goes to show how talented the team was to make a CGI character that expressive 20 years ago.
For whatever reason, Serkis' Ultron performance - minimal that it was - blotted out a lot of the whole Gollum thing for me. Didn't know Serkis could be a badass. Always impressed tho that the WETA folks were so impressed with the performance they kept a lot of Serkis - this was maybe the first motion capture? so they were working their way through things. Watching footage of Serkis crawl through a cold stream in what looks like a onesy - the man has stones.

The whole prison thing WAS chaotic, which is probably more realistic than the feel good heroic trope I had in my head.:lol

Dunno I felt a bit deflated, maybe I was ready for some feel-good trope, and that's not what happened.
Like real life when you need a break and all you get is another bill.:pow

Then again, it was pretty *&^%$ early in the morning:eek::eek::eek: 'coz I just HAD TO KNOW.
Will rewatch today...look forward to being able to binge watch one day. Performances are stellar IMO.
You should know not to expect that from this show by now :lol

Back