Star Wars: A New Hope vs The Empire Strikes Back

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, it will ALWAYS be ESB. It took all of the best elements of ANH (the characterization, the locales, the plot, the special effects) and upped the ante in all respects. It's easily the darkest of the OT (some say ROTJ is due to the Emperor, etc., but I don't agree) with such diverse characters and locales and Luke finding out about his father. It's the movie that, like Star Trek II, seems to be the sequel that was better than the original, because it created such a great self-contained epic that you forgot it was a sequel. Whereas ANH had Tatooine, interior of some ships, the Death Star and Yavin, ESB had Hoth, Dagobah, Bespin--each created in such a memorable fashion and of course scenes in ships, etc. Also, it had a better climax...an unfinished one. It revealed surprises, showed new sides of characters, introduced new characters, and upped the stakes in every respect. It's the one of the 6 I can watch anythime. (Also has the best dialogue and lines.)

For me, it will ALWAYS be ESB. It took all of the best elements of ANH (the characterization, the locales, the plot, the special effects) and upped the ante in all respects. It's easily the darkest of the OT (some say ROTJ is due to the Emperor, etc., but I don't agree) with such diverse characters and locales and Luke finding out about his father. It's the movie that, like Star Trek II, seems to be the sequel that was better than the original, because it created such a great self-contained epic that you forgot it was a sequel. Whereas ANH had Tatooine, interior of some ships, the Death Star and Yavin, ESB had Hoth, Dagobah, Bespin--each created in such a memorable fashion and of course scenes in ships, etc. Also, it had a better climax...an unfinished one. It revealed surprises, showed new sides of characters, introduced new characters, and upped the stakes in every respect. It's the one of the 6 I can watch anythime. (Also has the best dialogue and lines.)

I love all six, really.. But TOTALLY agree - ESB is the one that 'does it' for me.

ANH has always been my favorite in the saga as well as my favorite movie. ESB is a close 2nd with Jedi coming in at 3rd but there is something about that 70's feel mixed with sci-fi fantasy that I really love about ANH. Plus I remember seeing ANH for the first time when I was 3 or 4 and my eyes popping out of my head at the cantina scene with all those aliens. At the time it was the creepiest yet most awesome thing I had ever seen.

Star Wars is the classic, Empire is the masterpiece.

Nothing about Empire is off or lacking to me. Its one of the few "perfect" genre films, in the same company as Raiders and Jaws, even surpassing them IMO.

I look at the OT like this:

ANH- My Favorite: Partially because it is the first, there is nothing but adventure and it works as part of a series or a stand-alone film.

ESB- The Best: As has been said the movie is as close to perfect as you can get and the darker tone and relationship/character development is excellent.

ROTJ- The Most Fun: Sure it has a happy ending and is more intentionally aimed at a younger audience. But Jabba's sequence is fantastic, Endor is a lot of fun and the space battle above the Second Death star is fantastic. Not to mention I think that the final showdown between Vader and Luke is one of the best sequences of the entire series.

My opinion is basically a mix of these two posts. :)

So overrated. It's a good movie, but the Nolan fanboys really should look back at classic movies.

Lets see besides the two Batman films what other Nolan films are on there? Did you look at the rest of the list? just asking cause it's sort of unfair to throw out the Nolan Fanboy comment.

I happen to Love The Dark Knight. Along with FotR it's one of the few modern films that I think holds up well with my other more classic favs.

Not a Nolan fanboy at all.

The Dark Knight before The Thing, Alien, Aliens, Terminator and Predator? :horror

Ok I will admit it is a tad high. It's one of those films were time will lower it's ranking for me. It will be lower then The Thing and Alien but yes I do like it better then Aliens and Predator and probably always will.

Edit -- Went in and looked at my list and Yes the Dark Knight was a tad high it now is behind John Carpenter’s The Thing, ALIEN, Halloween, and Poltergeist.

Just remember that just because there is a number does not mean I love one movie So much more then another film on the list. If both are 5 star films they are close in my mind with the exception of my top 4.

Last edited:
Lets see besides the two Batman films what other Nolan films are on there? Did you look at the rest of the list? just asking cause it's sort of unfair to throw out the Nolan Fanboy comment.

I happen to Love The Dark Knight. Along with FotR it's one of the few modern films that I think holds up well with my other more classic favs.

Not a Nolan fanboy at all.

Memento should be on there before TDk. ;)

Curious, why not the Extended.

The extended cut had some nice additions like Lurtz licking the knife and more Aragorn chatting with Boromir but I thought the flow of the theatrical prologue was better and some of the new scenes just didn't work for me.

I really disliked Boromir reaching for the Ring in Rivendell. It made the Fellowship seem foolish to even take him. Plus little things like Gandalf making a big deal about Bilbo's mithril shirt play strangely when two scenes later Gimli appears shocked at its existence.

You'd think he'd say, "YOU have Bilbo's shirt!?" instead of, "mithril...." in awe.

I didn't like the trimming of the "these woods are perilous" scene and a number of other things. I could go on. :lol

Theatrical FOTR was perfect, extended FOTR added a little more good but some not so good as well.

The theatrical Empire Strikes Back is also perfect, even moreso than ANH. :lecture

Last edited:
Khev no longer has mod cred if he calls a thread to come back on topic. I strongly suggest everyone save the link to this thread for future ammunition, if needed.

:lecture

(tee hee) :D

One think most geeks will agree on, is this list of pure classic awesomeness (no comedies included):

SW OT, Raiders, Indy TOD, Superman 1 and 2, Close Encounter, ET, Predator, Alien 1, Aliens, The Thing 1982, Halloween 1 and 2, the Howling 1, American Werewolf in London, Night OTLD, Dawn OTD, Day OTD, Road Warrior, Friday the 13th 1,2, 3 and 4, TCM 1, Exorcist 1, Conan 1, Jaws 1, Reanimator, Omen 1, Batman 89, Terminator 1 and 2, Die Hard 1, Rocky 1, Rambo 1.

What did I forget :lol

Back