Star Trek: Picard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Patrick Stewart is back as Captain Picard!

A 'woke' person or agenda currently refers to delusional people who perceive our society as rife with social injustice such as bigotry, racism, economic inequality in every powerful organization and institution. They then try to force their version of justice in a variety of ways to correct these exaggerated problems often by oppressing people they disagree with or perceive to be 'privileged' by calling them slanderous names, such as calling Trump supporters as 'nazis' or 'racists' or trying to get people blacklisted or fired from their jobs or have social services investigate their children only because they're Republican or made a coarse joke.

Gene Roddenberry, Rick Berman, and the many showrunners of TOS, Next Gen., DS9, Voyager Ent., and the movies have struggled for years with writers that wanted to turn the Federation into the bad guys. You need antagonists to create drama and the writers often tried to turn the Federation into the source of the dilemma. It always went against the positive vision of Star Trek that the mostly human government would regress so the showrunners resisted the writers. You would from time to time see a individual within the Federation be the bad guy with a terrible idea or intention, but the Federation itself was always good and would do the right thing.
That's my main problem with the Federation refusing to help the Romulans, it's out of character.

:goodpost: Great post

And I worked on TNG for short time in the early 90s (shortly before Roddenberry died) and Rick Berman was kind of a jerk.:lol

I was not saying that the topic has racism and bigotry, i sad that the series always talked with ideas that were progressives and "woke",you guys just didnt compreended because you younger when you watched the series back then on television.
Its just like someone saiying that just in the new star wars they are talking about SJW agenda.
The society is divided because people is afraid of going forward with full progressist actions, you can be conservative as you like, but you dont ride a horse to work because there are cars available.
i am not demonizeing the conversation, i just dont understand how you cannot understand how ****** the world is becoming because people is tied with old philosophys(left and right wing for instance, or religious one).
You guys who started demonizing people who is fighting just for human rights.

The problem with the woke crowd is that they don't get that virtually all serious people are completely on board with human rights. Disagreement emerges on what is the best way to implement them, and to what extent outside intervention is needed to ensure equality.

Society isn't divided because "people is afraid of full progressist actions". Its divided because the conservatives see that a lot of what the fully woke crowd is advocating for is often hypocritical, full of double standards, borderline authoritarian, and comes in a message that browbeats people into submission rather than encouraging a fair conversation weighing the pros and cons, simply dismissing all dissenters as prejudice. Its an "our way or else!" approach that comes across more like wanting to control other people (in extreme cases, with violence) rather than actually solve any of society's problems.

The way I see it, liberals are the engine that drives society forward and conservatives are the brakes that prevent it from wildly careening off a cliff. You need both, but too much of either is dangerous, and likely to end in disaster when the public isn't working together to decide which is needed at any time.
The lesson; not all change is progress.

The way I see it, liberals are the engine that drives society forward and conservatives are the brakes that prevent it from wildly careening off a cliff. You need both, but too much of either is dangerous, and likely to end in disaster when the public isn't working together to decide which is needed at any time.
The lesson; not all change is progress.

I agree with this Extremes on both ends aren't good. It's just sad that both sides are moving farther apart to the extremes. I think this is also partly fueled by how the internet (and its algorithms) work.

Society sucks today, take me back to the 90's. I'm a lesbian and even I'm sick of all the SJW people. Just live your life and stop trying to force your opinions on everyone else. As much as I love the internet, I could do without knowing so much about people's lives lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

oh I agree, everything seems to be a problem these days, everyone seems to have an issue with something that is generally irrelevant. People these days are way too easily offended. People need to get on with their own lives instead of worrying about what others are upto.

P.S I'm so excited for this new show, Picard looks like its gonna be pretty good! Patrick Stewart is a complete gem. ..also Whoopi Goldberg is coming in for s02. way excited for that one!

Gene Roddenberry?s vision is often framed as idealistic, but much of his narrative included conflict, moral conundrums, and the need for mediation and compromise.

His world was inherently imperfect but driven by flawed beings trying to live up to principles and ethics that at the very least necessitated that they talk to one another.

Without going into off-topic detail, my politics are probably more ?progressive? as it were than some of the people on this board, but are tempered with caution born of experience, and a deep mistrust of any centralized authority or appeal to conformity.

I have friends outside of the pressure cooker of the internet on both sides of the political spectrum who hold views I do not agree with, but we can have a drink and live out our lives right beside each other.

A court mediator once told me that a successful negotiation is one from which both parties walk away equally dissatisfied.

As Roddenberry envisioned, we need to be able to talk to each other and this brutal polarization and lack of nuance I see in society and here on the boards sporadically, helps no one.

Back on topic, my hope is that ?Picard? finds some legs and the writing tightens up, because there is at least the potential for a really intelligent series here, that can go beyond the current fashion for bleak narratives filled with shock, darkness and cynicism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with the woke crowd is that they don't get that virtually all serious people are completely on board with human rights. Disagreement emerges on what is the best way to implement them, and to what extent outside intervention is needed to ensure equality.

IMO the problem with the woke crowd or anyone else who has time to waste tuition money screaming their head off is, if you have that kind of time on ur hands, ur not quietly DOING anything to change the world. E.g. pick up a hammer and go help an aged person fix their broken fence. Pick up trash in the local park. Help the local natural resource group root up invasive plant species. Get *&^% job and donate all ur salary. Fix a beat-up car and give it to a poor single mother so she can get a job. Pester a county council or building manager into giving you land/space and make community garden.

People who DO things don't have time to stand around crying in their safe space. Folks desperate to get to college $$$$$ and then spoiled brat gets to stand around chanting or some *&^% pretending to be badass-in-black and not in class.

Well, just watched the second episode. Need to mull it over but on first impression:

• They moved the plot forward at a fair clip without endless obfuscation, that's refreshing.
  • A couple of things explained.
  • Anachronistic language is here to stay.
  • Overall a better episode than the first at first glance.

Some sage posting here in the last few pages by a-dev, ShadowX81 and screamingmetal, just to name a few. :clap

That being said, I enjoyed the first episode. Wasn’t anything to beat the door down about as an episode by itself, but I liked it enough to where I found it mildly intriguing to want to continue watching the series to see how it develops.

Saw the second episode. So far, so good, I guess. I still feel like I'm waiting for the proverbial shoe to fall, though.

I liked the second episode. Something I found weird:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Other than that, I can't wait to see how the third episode unfolds. The story is starting to get underway.

Ep 1 = Blade Runner

Ep 2 = I, Robot or Rise of the Machines

Interesting that ST is rebooting its canon all the time - this overrides the comics that led into ST '09. But CBS doesn't have a set story group or canon.

Long before there was "SW fans hate SW" there was trekkies vs trekkies.

Or Trekkies vs Trekkers.

And of course Wars v Trek.

Saw the second episode. So far, so good, I guess. I still feel like I'm waiting for the proverbial shoe to fall, though.

My thoughts as well. Not bad, but not overly exhilarating. I can kind of see where they’re going with the plot and I’m not sure if I find it to be good or not. It’s only two episodes though, so we’ll see how this progresses.

I liked the second episode. Something I found weird:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Well Picard did mention that they had several disagreements in the past about what the Federation meant and was supposed to stand for; perhaps some of them got a little bit heated and personal. When Picard confronted her he was pretty quick to acknowledge their prior spats, so that tells me that he knew she already didn’t particularly care for him.

[...]

Well Picard did mention that they had several disagreements in the past about what the Federation meant and was supposed to stand for; perhaps some of them got a little bit heated and personal. When Picard confronted her he was pretty quick to acknowledge their prior spats, so that tells me that he knew she already didn?t particularly care for him.

I think they've portrayed him as a complex character quite well in this second episode. It *was* presumptuous of him to walk into the Federation after publicly denouncing them (having previously split acrimoniously) to demand a ship, a crew and carte blanche.

This level of hubris seems to be a common trait amongst Starfleet officers. Kirk would have just stolen the ship. :lol

I think they've portrayed him as a complex character quite well in this second episode. It *was* presumptuous of him to walk into the Federation after publicly denouncing them (having previously split acrimoniously) to demand a ship, a crew and carte blanche.

This level of hubris seems to be a common trait amongst Starfleet officers. Kirk would have just stolen the ship. :lol

Right? :lol

Kirk’s conversation with Admiral Morrow in TSFS immediately came to mind while watching Picard and Clancy’s exchange: “Then I’ll find a ship. I’ll hire a ship.”

Spoiler Spoiler:

Back