Star Trek Beyond

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the fourth film bringing back Hemsworth, I wonder if they're going to do something akin to Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home with time travel...maybe we'll finally see Shatner return as Kirk too? But it's then sort of replaying the original flick which had the whole Nero/Spock/Prime universe/red matter storyline that created this alternate universe in the first place.

With the fourth film bringing back Hemsworth, I wonder if they're going to do something akin to Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home with time travel...maybe we'll finally see Shatner return as Kirk too? But it's then sort of replaying the original flick which had the whole Nero/Spock/Prime universe/red matter storyline that created this alternate universe in the first place.

Could be anything at this point. All I've read is that Abrams made sure he got Hemsworth and the other cast signed for number 4 because the story they're working on is a really good one. I doubt it will be anything like Voyage Home since they're supposedly getting away from mirroring the other movies. Beyond is nothing like Search for Spock.

Beyond has made it's money back, without being released in China or Japan, etc yet. So I'm sure this one will get made. :yess:

Maybe they'll fix the timeline. That would be nice and a good way to end this run of "Trek" films.

Chris Hemsworth, meh.
Seems to me like the other producers and Abrams who still know nothing about Trek have got a hard-on for bringing back Hemsworth because he became a huge movie star in the years since his debut in the 2009 Trek movie and is conveniently using time travel to bring him into a new movie.
It's kind of infuriating that out of all the legendary wars that have taken place in Trek, we are still denied seeing these epics for ourselves! I'd love to see a two or three part set of movies showing the Federation-Klingon war with notable Klingons like Kang and Kor!
But Abrams says no, we need to unnecessarily bring back a dead character to have more of the same. :(

I enjoy this cast a lot and want them to keep coming back for more, just next time let Scotty be the chubby one instead of Spock (jeez Quinto).

Someone has to be. They are good action films, but they aren't Star Trek.

You're right. Until Kirk fights a Gorn they can't be. :lol

I've heard people say this before, but after watching Trek for years and being a big fan, I honestly don't understand that statement. I do remember the same criticisms for Voyage Home.

I've heard people say this before, but after watching Trek for years and being a big fan, I honestly don't understand that statement. I do remember the same criticisms for Voyage Home.

I don't get it either. I've been a fan of the movies and series since I was a child and this reboot is a nice update to what came before it. As long as the movies are good I can live with the changes they've made.

Chris Hemsworth, meh.
Seems to me like the other producers and Abrams who still know nothing about Trek have got a hard-on for bringing back Hemsworth because he became a huge movie star in the years since his debut in the 2009 Trek movie and is conveniently using time travel to bring him into a new movie.
It's kind of infuriating that out of all the legendary wars that have taken place in Trek, we are still denied seeing these epics for ourselves! I'd love to see a two or three part set of movies showing the Federation-Klingon war with notable Klingons like Kang and Kor!
But Abrams says no, we need to unnecessarily bring back a dead character to have more of the same. :(

His part may be minimal like in the first one.

I doubt more battles will make the "these movies are just action movies" people very happy, though I wouldn't mind them at all. My favorites of the original movies were the more action based ones.

His part may be minimal like in the first one.

I doubt more battles will make the "these movies are just action movies" people very happy, though I wouldn't mind them at all. My favorites of the original movies were the more action based ones.

I've become more interested in the Original Series' unapologetic action thrills as I've gotten older than I have of the more thought provoking drama that I grew up with on Next Gen. I think a few ST Federation-Klingon war movies with a strong moral dilemma is exactly what the franchise needs. :)

Are you only comparing movies to movies? Star Trek is much more. All the TV series were about exploration and action mixed into that. These new films are Star Wars dressed in Trek clothing. I love Star Wars, but it's mostly mindless action and so are these new Trek films.

Kit, I am only in this instance. You really can't compare the movies to the series, especially after all this time. TV series are filmed differently and the stories have to be different. Different pacing, etc. A series is slower. They have 25 shows in a year. A movie has 2 hours every 3 years.

Are you only comparing movies to movies? Star Trek is much more. All the TV series were about exploration and action mixed into that. These new films are Star Wars dressed in Trek clothing. I love Star Wars, but it's mostly mindless action and so are these new Trek films.

Is there a type of action that's not mindless? I don't think I'd call the duels in the OT mindless, though I'd be hard pressed to call the Vader vs Obi-wan duel an action scene.

Kit, I am only in this instance. You really can't compare the movies to the series, especially after all this time. TV series are filmed differently and the stories have to be different. Different pacing, etc. A series is slower. They have 25 shows in a year. A movie has 2 hours every 3 years.

Well put!:goodpost:

It amazes me that after three movies and mostly solid, positive reviews, not to mention a large fanbase, we still really don't have movie Trek figures besides two unofficial Spock and Kirks from two different artists.

Yeah, but so far just Kirk. I'm hearing mixed things on whether we'll see a full line of Beyond figs.

I asked them about it and they have plans are to do them. They've already got the whole TOS crew prototyped. They even have Kirk's chair! I talked to them about when they make Scotty (Pegg) if they would include Keenser and they said he was a must! :)

Back