Star Trek Beyond

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Khan comic book explains why he appears Caucasian. But I reckon the alternate timeline should have been explanation enough.

Not really. He was around in the 20th century, long before the Kelvin incident. A Khan who looked and sounded like Ricardo Montalban shouldn't have suddenly become Benedict Cumberbatch unless he specifically did something to make that happen (or someone found him and did it to him - I'm not familiar with the comic you're talking about). Or do I misunderstand you....

I guess you're right - if the Kelvin incident created the timeline rather than just opening a portal to it.

In the comic Khan's appearance is surgically altered and his memory erased to complete his transformation to John Harrison and better control him.

Just got back from seeing this. Liked it a lot better than I expected to. Another instance where the trailers are **** and so off the mark.

Cast works great together, genuine chemistry. Lin's got a good eye not only for the action, bit for putting together some great shots. There was some really good staging and cool ideas with the action we haven't seen in a "Trek" movie before. It moved at a good clip too. Elba was more than just a stock villain here...in fact, I'd say he's really not a villain at all here and that made it more interesting. Had some fan-pleasing moments without being over the top with them. A few "groaner" moments (that whole motorcycle business was just this side of silly), but it wouldn't be ST without them.

Lin did a good job of cleaning up the mess after that last movie (that one was really annoying)...happy anniversary indeed, Star Trek!

The Khan comic book explains why he appears Caucasian. But I reckon the alternate timeline should have been explanation enough.

Oh, alternative timlines can suck it. They tried to cast the Enterprise crew according to their proper look/ethnicity, but with the most famous bad guy in the trek universe, they threw that rule out.

This is Khan = Ricardo-Montalban-Khan-Star-Trek-2.jpg

Not this guy = d94f3e5418cc8261429edaf8614a6b0c.jpgbenedict-cumberbatch-26547_w1020h450c1cx345cy200.jpg

Last edited:
The flick was good. Best overall of the reboots. My main nitpick on it and the other 2 is there is no chemistry or friendship felt between Kirk and Spock. That is the meat and potatoes of Star Trek. It's at least there for Spock and McCoy though. The white/black stripe faced chick was pretty kewl in it.

The Enterprise also takes 30 minutes to destroy and only 20 seconds to build!

The flick was good. Best overall of the reboots. My main nitpick on it and the other 2 is there is no chemistry or friendship felt between Kirk and Spock. That is the meat and potatoes of Star Trek. It's at least there for Spock and McCoy though. The white/black stripe faced chick was pretty kewl in it.

The Enterprise also takes 30 minutes to destroy and only 20 seconds to build!

I actually thought that speeded up building sequence was pretty cool.

Though I think the crew as a whole is settling in quite nicely....

Spoiler Spoiler:

Saw it to today and really enjoyed it. It was a everything you want in a summer movie. Action , thrills. and laughs with a pretty straightforward plot. STB has gone back to it's original TV roots. (and I mean that in a good way.), really giving the great cast a chance to play against one another ( Loved the McCoy and Spock interactions). also I 'm really hoping Sofia Boutella becomes a permanent part of the cast. Her character Jaylah was a real standout. and I want to see more of her in this Star Trek universe.

x-star-trek-beyond-chris-pine-sofia-boutella2.jpg

Definitely the best of the three. Well balanced with good acting, writing, design and action. Nice to finally see the crew out in space. The starbase design was absolutely incredible. I liked Elba/Krall and the swarm ships brought something different. Sophia/Jaylah kicked ass. Lin really did a more than solid job taking over and making this perhaps the most watchable/rewatchable Trek movie since TWOK, with TUC rounding out the top three.

Glad to read the positive reviews!
I didn't have much faith after the trailers, but was going to see it regardless. Now I'm actually looking forward to this more.

Saw it to today and really enjoyed it. It was a everything you want in a summer movie. Action , thrills. and laughs with a pretty straightforward plot. STB has gone back to it's original TV roots. (and I mean that in a good way.), really giving the great cast a chance to play against one another ( Loved the McCoy and Spock interactions). also I 'm really hoping Sofia Boutella becomes a permanent part of the cast. Her character Jaylah was a real standout. and I want to see more of her in this Star Trek universe.

View attachment 280606

Wow, I just learned that that's the chick with the blade legs in Kingsman. I never would have guessed.

Good movie, but predictable. Not that most movies aren't these days.

I saw it on Sunday in 3D IMax.
One hell of a good time! Fun and enjoyable but not very thought provoking. I liked the emotional parts, not too heavy but enough to make this more than just a comedic action adventure. I wish Kirk and Spock had shown a stronger friendship in this, they seemed more distant than their prime counterparts. The villain isn't terrible, his motivation is a bit like Khan from WOK, but Krall doesn't have the same presence, Krall is just adequate. Everybody has some screen time and something to do, I didn't feel like they wasted anyone in the cast. Jaylah was a fun new character, I wouldn't mind her joining the cast in future movies. I also liked how they did the alien planet, especially the flora and fauna, not too over the top like avatar but just enough to make it seem like it wasn't Earth. And I loved Yorktown Starbase! They have to bring it back if only briefly next time!
I'd say this is tied with 2009 Star Trek, perhaps a little bit better imo. I liked it more than SW: The Force Awakens though.
The 3D is pretty good. There are a few sequences that can be a little dizzying and a few others that are too blurry and confusing (camera was too close and moving too much for 3D) but it overall worked in 3D.

Definitely go out and see this if you can!

Spoiler Spoiler:

Back