Star Ace Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Hermione Granger 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh, okay, so a few things.

1. I have realized that for whatever reason, this figure looked better in my car in natural sunlight than indoor lighting. The side angle remains the best, but I'm now a tad on the fence about keeping this. (Sideshow told me if I opened it and hated it I could return it.) I'm leaning towards keeping it because the side view is passable for me, and seeing PoA Hermione on the shelf is nice, even if it doesn't match the original expectations. I know that won't be the case for everyone and that's fair, but when you love Hermione as much as I do, you find a way to make peace with it to have a representation of what you think is her finest moment.

2. The head sculpt from eBay, while bearing a resemblance, looks angry. In my mind, I was able to accept that she looked a little angry (as Hermione often has plenty of reason to be irritated in the stories), but then I tried swapping out the heads. I didn't even bother turning the camera on. The skin tone was off, but not so off that it was unforgivable, but the head was comically small on the body. There's just no way it's going to work.

3. As an aside, one of the big complaints I read was about how difficult it was to change outfits. The only part that was challenging for me was getting the belt on her jeans because of tendonitis.

I did take a few pictures of the figure on the shelf. Please note that I haven't bothered putting loads of effort into posing, or in taking stunning photos, since I remain undecided about what I'm going to do, and we're cleaning the cases this weekend anyway so everyone is going to end up getting reposed. Sorcerer's Stone Hermione looks a bit a mess since I took all of the Christmas decorations and accessories (yes, you read that correctly) off of the figures and didn't bother getting them back in order yet. Here are a couple of the shots I took.

View attachment 386853

View attachment 386854

Could you take a picture of the Hermione figure with the Ebay head?

You had mentioned it was comically small and the skin tone off so you did not bother taking pics - I was just curious what it looked like so that I can make my own judgment.

While I am not pleased with how this figure turned out, I really want a Hermione figure in my collection to pair with teenage Harry so I'm reluctantly keeping my order.

Yep, here you go! Sorry for the delay - I just got home.

So after reaffixing it, it doesn’t look AS small on its own, but still looks a bit too small to me, especially next to SS Hermione. Anyway, here are the shots. I’m interested to see what everyone here thinks regarding the size. (Excuse my Arwen PF chilling in the background. I just took these quickly with my phone.)

View attachment 387074
View attachment 387073
View attachment 387076

Hopefully these don’t upload sideways this time.

Can anyone show pictures of her standing next to an adult male figure just to get an idea of size? Maybe next to sirius?

Yep, here you go! Sorry for the delay - I just got home.

So after reaffixing it, it doesn’t look AS small on its own, but still looks a bit too small to me, especially next to SS Hermione. Anyway, here are the shots. I’m interested to see what everyone here thinks regarding the size. (Excuse my Arwen PF chilling in the background. I just took these quickly with my phone.)

View attachment 387074
View attachment 387073
View attachment 387076

Hopefully these don’t upload sideways this time.

Looks like they didn’t load at all, LS. Can you try again? I’m very anxious to see your shots!

Looks like they didn’t load at all, LS. Can you try again? I’m very anxious to see your shots!

Oops! My phone has been being so weird about photos on the forum. Trying from my computer now.

I just took pictures with the normal setting on my phone - if anyone needs higher quality for any reason, I can give portrait mode a go.

Also, @<BEASTMASTER>, I don't have any male figures from the Harry Potter line, but we have several Hot Toys males here that I can get a photo of her next to tomorrow if that suffices.

unnamed-7.jpgunnamed-8.jpgScreen Shot 2018-01-13 at 8.23.55 PM.jpg

Hmmmm......

EEC2487115A34F7FA73A.jpeg

8C74D34D9CD8469DBB84.jpeg

Looks like no contest to my eye. I know you’re doing profiles because that’s the best angle for the Star Ace sculpt, so maybe the lack of a straight on shot of the ThreeQ Head on the Star Ace body is not highlighting the “smallness” drawback you’re seeing in person, but from what I can see, the knock off head on the Star Ace body looks super! But maybe that’s just me...

0D187DA1-D028-47BE-9BE6-C00284D873EC.jpg

There is square on. It might have just been that the first time I put it on, her hair was still smushed from the packaging (she comes with plastic wrap around her entire head), because it looked a lot better the second time I put it on, which was of course after the headsculpt had some time free of the packaging.

I don’t know what to do haha!! I appreciate your opinion loads.

If I do end up keeping this one, I’ll need to give her a haircut to match the shorter PoA length. That should be fun. :doh

EDIT: And why my phone uploads either don’t work or upload sideways is absolutely beyond me. :gah:

:lol

You’ll have to start holding the camera sideways! Always here to help!

15F6F69D160541149486.jpeg

I think I see what you mean, but I don’t know. I think I’d take it! It’s instantly recognizable as Hermione, unlike the Star Ace attempt, IMHO. I wonder if Star Ace printed “Hermoine” on the box because they knew the figure they were shipping bore little resemblance to HermIOne Granger from the HP series, LOL!

But honestly, with just a bit of futzing, hair taming, and posing choices, I’m sure we could get the Star Ace/ThreeQ hybrid to look stellar.

I’m only judging from pics, of course, but I’m very encouraged!

LOVE this shot, BTW:

:lol

You’ll have to start holding the camera sideways! Always here to help!

15F6F69D160541149486.jpeg

I think I see what you mean, but I don’t know. I think I’d take it! It’s instantly recognizable as Hermione, unlike the Star Ace attempt, IMHO. I wonder if Star Ace printed “Hermoine” on the box because they knew the figure they were shipping bore little resemblance to HermIOne Granger from the HP series, LOL!

But honestly, with just a bit of futzing, hair taming, and posing choices, I’m sure we could get the Star Ace/ThreeQ hybrid to look stellar.

I’m only judging from pics, of course, but I’m very encouraged!

LOVE this shot, BTW:

Thank you so much for the input. I think I’ll end up using the ThreeQ head - you’re right. The recognition is immediate.

That replacement sculpt almost looks...pug-ish, to me. Something about the nose.

Okay, so mine just arrived and honestly, at least with the paint job on mine and after fussing with the hair, it looks a lot better in person. She especially looks passable from the side - a lot better, in fact, than head on - in my opinion. It’s good enough for me to keep and work with. View attachment 386538

I also ordered the headaculpt above - that gets here tomorrow. Looking forward to checking that out.

I don't think this head sculpt can or should be justified. It's awful. I'd rather be without this representation of Hermione than put up that abomination. The other head sculpt being shown is no better.

I don't think this head sculpt can or should be justified. It's awful. I'd rather be without this representation of Hermione than put up that abomination. The other head sculpt being shown is no better.

I disagree. Might take some extra care in managing the hair and choosing the right display composition, but the ThreeQ has the bones, and is miles better than the stock SA half-effort.

813C198591704BD0BF95.jpeg

And, just to be clear, it’s not my intention to do a commercial for the ThreeQ sculpt. It’s not perfect. But given what we were handed by Star Ace with this figure, I’m just fine with this sculpt on Hermione’s shoulders (if I can ever find a great deal on the SA Figure - but I’m patient).

That’s Michael Crawford’s shot on the right, and mine on the left...

A89367D0FD9A4FF68FD3.jpeg

...but if anyone disagrees, that’s perfectly ok. As I said I haven’t found a perfect Hermoine yet (other than KA Kim’s original first year masterpiece). But it’s just no contest between my in hand take on the knock-off compared to the Star Ace head.

And, just to be clear, it’s not my intention to do a commercial for the ThreeQ sculpt. It’s not perfect. But given what we were handed by Star Ace with this figure, I’m just fine with this sculpt on Hermione’s shoulders (if I can ever find a great deal on the SA Figure - but I’m patient).

That’s Michael Crawford’s shot on the right, and mine on the left...

A89367D0FD9A4FF68FD3.jpeg

...but if anyone disagrees, that’s perfectly ok. As I said I haven’t found a perfect Hermoine yet (other than KA Kim’s original first year masterpiece). But it’s just no contest between my in hand take on the knock-off compared to the Star Ace head.

No, I appreciate the input. It's strangely difficult to make a choice on these matters, so the outside, informed opinions are very appreciated.

So on the Sideshow website it says this figure is approximately 29 cm tall?! Surely that's wrong as she would be huge! Does anyone have a more accurate measurement from top of head to toe?

So on the Sideshow website it says this figure is approximately 29 cm tall?! Surely that's wrong as she would be huge! Does anyone have a more accurate measurement from top of head to toe?

Here you go - I had the tape measurer in here anyway to see if another Detolf would fit in this room.

She's definitely taller than she should be for 1/6 scale, but she honestly looks fine height-wise with the Sorcerer's Stone Hermione. I do wonder, however, if her height will be a problem with the adults of this line if they're on the same shelf. Based on height estimates on Sideshow, however, she should look okay with PoA Harry...

unnamed-10.jpg

Thanks for that ladyshanz. Yeah 27cm definitely seems too high, especially for a teenage girl. Should be more like 26cm. Would be good to see her next to the adult characters.

I disagree. Might take some extra care in managing the hair and choosing the right display composition, but the ThreeQ has the bones, and is miles better than the stock SA half-effort.

813C198591704BD0BF95.jpeg

I'll content myself with the early Star Ace releases. It's sad to admit that it's the same company putting out the recent releases.

Back