SS Classic Universal Monsters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth_Fatso

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I've been toying around with the idea of picking up some of the early Sideshow 12" Classic Universal Monsters figures and most look like they can be had for $100 or less and I was wondering what the opinion on these were. I'm mainly interested in a Karloff Frankenstein and Lugosi Dracula. Also I read awhile back where someone said that SS might revisit the Classic Monsters, any word on that?

I've read elsewhere on this forum that SS no longer holds the licence to produce these figures. They are awesome though worth tracking down. The Karloff Frankenstein monster is one of my most prized figures.

I've read elsewhere on this forum that SS no longer holds the licence to produce these figures. They are awesome though worth tracking down. The Karloff Frankenstein monster is one of my most prized figures.

Shame SS no longer has the license. I think I may try to get a Karloff Frankenstein (torn between the original or Bride) as my next 1/6 purchase.

They are great figures. Sure they were made some 6-9 years ago but still hold up great today.

Creature From The Black Lagoon and The Mummy will cost ya, but the rest can be had for a decent price.

shelf_20.jpg

shelf_21.jpg

I've actually thought about this as well, but I'd have to get the Silver Screen versions and they're more expensive I believe. I'd want the Silver Screen PFs too and that wouldn't be in my price range right now. Some day perhaps.

They are great figures. Sure they were made some 6-9 years ago but still hold up great today.

Creature From The Black Lagoon and The Mummy will cost ya, but the rest can be had for a decent price.

shelf_20.jpg

shelf_21.jpg

Great pics evil! I'm so torn between which Monster to get, original or Bride. I like the head sculpt on the original a tad better but I like the arms on Bride's better and I like the tattered outfit. Oh well I have till the end of the month to decide.

Bride is the better figure in sculpt, paint and clothes.

Son of Frankenstein is my favorite version.

I don't have the Bride Frank, but the original is pretty swell. In general, this was a great line -- and quite the bargain compared to today's prices.

I like how Son of Frankenstein looks much thicker and wider in that pic, just like how he looks in the movie. Did they add padding materials inside his vest to look like that?

just might have to pick one up now..

sse frankestein is still one of the best figures imo and one of my all time favorties. the black and grey look great. it holds it's on against anything else on my shelf. very classy looking. the creature is another that still kicks ass.

I've actually thought about this as well, but I'd have to get the Silver Screen versions and they're more expensive I believe. I'd want the Silver Screen PFs too and that wouldn't be in my price range right now. Some day perhaps.

Prepare to spend a mortgage's worth of dough. :lol

I own the original Frankenstein Monster, The Wolf Man, and The Creature From The Black Lagoon. I love them. The Creature holds up next to my most recent Hot Toys releases, it's that good.
I've been meaning to pick up the 'Bride' figures for a long time, but the PF set has kept me pretty happy.

Based on Evilface's picture, the Bride version of the monster looks far better than the original. I had no idea.

Not to derail my own thread, but whatever happened to the 18" Frankenstein that Daimond Select was gonna release? I thought it was supposed to come out a few months ago.

If I remember correctly, they pulled the plug on it. :(

That sucks! It was a very nice looking figure imo. I wonder what made them do that. I wanted to get into DST's 8" line but the lack of actor likeness really turned me off to them. I have SS' old 8" Frankie but sadly both his arms broke off when he took a tumble off my shelf.

Back