Square Enix Play Arts Kai Gets New Licenses

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The alternate colors are awesome ! I love all of them except Cammy. Congrats to everyone whose managed to get the latest play Arts Street Fighter figures and their Metal Gear Solid 's 25th anniversary Snake and Cyborg. I have Battle Dress Snake, here are a few shots I took with Final Fantasy as well.

DSCN1613.jpg

DSCN1675.jpg

DSCN4155.jpg

DSCN3961.jpg

DSCN3312.jpg

I just got the Street Fighter Akuma. He's pretty fugly. Doughnut hole shoulders, pencil neck, and a face only a mother could love. Plus he falls apart at the calf.
They kinda bricked on him, but I'm dumb enough to get him.
Haha!

Besides his face I think he is really go though.

And I think out of all my Play Arts Kai figures, he stands the most stable.

akumavu.jpg

^^ I have him in this stance and is stable.

It was Cyborg Ninja I had to re-pose to make him stable and still I have him leaning up against an object so he don't move anywhere.

A different reviewer for Figures.com received Akuma, so I haven't seen him in person, but Kratos is pretty dang impressive. The only major drawback is the heavy use of gray/shading on the face, which really takes away from the figure's overall appearance. Likewise, the facial expression is pretty "meh" too - not nearly angry enough - NECA got Kratos' face right and paint right, but Square Enix really hit the articulation on the head with this one - great detail in the sculpt too.
True!

I didn't like the shading on his face.

Like you said, NECA did it right.

In this case, Play Arts Kai Kratos figure with NECA paint app = Win!

IMO the neca figures are superior in every way to the play arts one. They are a must buy if you can find non bootleg ones.

But still, Play Arts Kai have a few more articulation points then NECA.

Then again, NECA put the ball joint in the pelvis of the City Hunter Predator, so NECA are getting there.

I'm a big fan of the Play Arts Kai's scale, which is around 9.5" for Kratos and 10" for MGS series...and if you're a fan of posing and reposing your figures with great articulation that holds, PAK is the way to go as NECA's GOWII Kratos figures are still limited in articulation and really don't hold the poses as well due to the limited articulation.

That said, NECA's sculpt for the 7" GOWII Kratos is spot on and just right - plenty of anger and rage. Likewise, the accessories from the DC Unlimited Hercules - the Nemean Cestus - work well with the NECA 7" Kratos whereas they don't look right with the PAK 9.5" Kratos (unfortunately).

Those are small things really, but I'm a big fan of the poseability of a figure and dynamic poses on a shelf are great; NECA isn't quite there with all their figures...yet. They're very close on their newer ones however. NECA's unreleased GOW III Kratos would have been BOSS, but from what I understand, Sony is a SOB to work with in terms of licensing and NECA never got approval to make the GOW III Kratos and then later lost the license to DC Unlimited (how that happened I'll never understand as the only thing worth buying there was the Hercules' Nemean Cestus - the figures were all 3 turds IMO.

The VANQUISH figures look to be spot on and Sam even has an alternative head, which is cool! I hope they're the same size as the MGS figures - 10" - though I've yet to see any reviews of them.

As for VANQUISH figures being "IN STOCK" on Square's US site, that's true, but the figures all ship from Hong Kong and thus take longer to get here. I ordered through their online store to get my Kratos and, while it only took 13 total days to get my figure, which is pretty good for a figure shipping from HK!), it seems Square Enix bulk ships their USA orders in mass in individual boxes and it took an extra 2 days for them to clear customs.

I'm hoping their review sample shipments to their American offices come sooner rather than later so I can get a set from them to review ASAP. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks if not sooner...

Castlevania: Lord of Shadows

Gabriel

gabriel_snake1.jpg

Dante's Inferno

Dante

955367_20100205_screen009.png

Asura's Wrath

Asura

3asura.jpg

would be an awesome trio for PlayArts Kai line.

Those are small things really, but I'm a big fan of the poseability of a figure and dynamic poses on a shelf are great; NECA isn't quite there with all their figures...yet. They're very close on their newer ones however. NECA's unreleased GOW III Kratos would have been BOSS, but from what I understand, Sony is a SOB to work with in terms of licensing and NECA never got approval to make the GOW III Kratos and then later lost the license to DC Unlimited (how that happened I'll never understand as the only thing worth buying there was the Hercules' Nemean Cestus - the figures were all 3 turds IMO.

i got to see the figure on the game directors desk and was kind of speechless at it. in bad way. the director wasnt very happy with it either from what i can tell. his quote was, "only cool thing is the chains can wrap around things." i do like its very poseable but the paint and headsculpt are just not there. it looks like a wwf figure with kratos paint and accessories. i had showed them the hot toys i have at my desk, but by then they had already been making this other figure. but they said maybe next time they will go with ht. so we will see. sony doesnt want to see bad quality when they let others use there product. i was told that they have always had a issue with either bad sculpts or bad paints on things they marketed. like the sideshow Marquette. they wanted them to use there model from the game but sideshow didnt want to use it and made there own thus the more bulky look. and with mortal kombat they were heavy in working with nether realm to get everything correct using kratos and our levels in the game.

i got to see the figure on the game directors desk and was kind of speechless at it. in bad way. the director wasnt very happy with it either from what i can tell. his quote was, "only cool thing is the chains can wrap around things." i do like its very poseable but the paint and headsculpt are just not there. it looks like a wwf figure with kratos paint and accessories. i had showed them the hot toys i have at my desk, but by then they had already been making this other figure. but they said maybe next time they will go with ht. so we will see. sony doesnt want to see bad quality when they let others use there product. i was told that they have always had a issue with either bad sculpts or bad paints on things they marketed. like the sideshow Marquette. they wanted them to use there model from the game but sideshow didnt want to use it and made there own thus the more bulky look. and with mortal kombat they were heavy in working with nether realm to get everything correct using kratos and our levels in the game.

very interesting. I do hope they take your advice and choose HT, it wont dissapoint. :lecture

Funny thing is from what I've heard, Sony doesn't really know how to properly appeal and market to action figure/statue collectors - they've got some great licenses, but look at the success of their figures and their burned relationships within the toy/collectibles industry.

The fact Sony is that picky means they aren't working or communicating properly with the manufacturers - or at least their licensing dept isn't.

If Sony isn't happy with the figure yet only blames the manufacturer, they're delusional. Their licensing dept had to sign off on what was made, all colors, all sculpts, etc etc. Likewise, they've had three different companies over the last 6 years make God of War figures...for them to think it's the companies is plain naive and idiotic. Seems the only constant here is Sony.

Personally, I'd love to see a Hot Toys Kratos and there's nothing stopping them from making one. The license that was sold to Square Enix for the GOW III figure is completely different than what would be sold to Hot Toys for a 1/6th scale figure. For the director to say "next time" seems rather deflective. The could sell a license to Hot Toys in a second...if they wanted to and the price was right.

I've always been of the opinion if an artist/toy maker/sculptor/etc is good and has a good history/record and you want them to make something, you give them some guidelines and ideas and then let them use their creativity and go with it.

Sony is good at having some video games created, but if they're unhappy with the figures/statues that are being made, they have no one to blame but themselves and their lack of understanding.

That's my .02 worth.

Personally, I'd have stuck with NECA and had NECA make a ton of different figures and products - their track record is great, their products are sound and high quality, and their selection is generous (hats, pins, key chains, toys, props, etc) -

NECA had an awesome GOW III Kratos made with a variety of accessories that would have made fans go nuts...

20055d1309378449-exclusive-neca-studio-tour-14necaunproducedkratos2.jpg

Sony denied NECA the GOW III license and sold it to DC Unlimited...and we all know how that went...

516Uz%2BhuxWL.jpg

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! It's the only Kratos I REFUSE to buy!

Personally, I think the Play Arts Kratos is very well done. It's got a load of articulation, a great sculpt, and a solid paint job - the does look a little glossy in spots and the shading is way over done, but - all things considered, the only figure better is NECA's GOW II figure...and it's 1/2 th size. I'm a fan of bigger figures and still have NECA's GOW II 12" Kratos on my display shelf - front and center. Until Hot Toys does make a Kratos, it's 12" NECA Kratos and 10" Square Enix Kratos for me...

value for money the neca figures win hands down... the play arts figure didn't do it for me( he should be more white less grey, face sculpt is weak).

with regards, to the sideshow maquette the proportions are off, and the way kratos is holding his weapons is all kinds of wrong.

Sony denied NECA the GOW III license and sold it to DC Unlimited...and we all know how that went...

516Uz%2BhuxWL.jpg

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! It's the only Kratos I REFUSE to buy!
Same here!

I was going to buy this figure but on closer inspection... :eek:

His facial expression = Stupid.

Vanquish figures are out, but only in Japan so far - I'm hoping to have a set in the next couple of weeks for review on www.Figures.com - will update this thread when I do.

Platinum Games gave away a signed Sam Gideon figure the other day on their video blog and the figure looks AWESOME! HUGE packaging with a ton of accessories and parts, including removable thigh armor (interchangeable with rockets), gun, super articulated (like all the PAK) to allow the figure to be posed in game accurate poses, etc. Looks really really nice...

Vanquish figures are out, but only in Japan so far - I'm hoping to have a set in the next couple of weeks for review on www.Figures.com - will update this thread when I do.

Platinum Games gave away a signed Sam Gideon figure the other day on their video blog and the figure looks AWESOME! HUGE packaging with a ton of accessories and parts, including removable thigh armor (interchangeable with rockets), gun, super articulated (like all the PAK) to allow the figure to be posed in game accurate poses, etc. Looks really really nice...

That's awesome you get review pieces! :p Hoping that my review site could do that someday.

Regardless, looking forward to it!

I've been working for www.Figures.com since 1999, so the review pieces are all a part of the job. I worked full time for the site from 2005 - 2008 and made it a living, which was a lot of fun...that said, it's also not all it's cut out to be. When your hobby is your work and your work is your hobby, the "fun" in the hobby starts to dwindle a bit.

I used to collect A LOT of stuff years and years ago...now...not so much. I'm down to a few 1/6th scale parts and pieces I used for my customs and a few video game figures. But yes, review pieces are a great bonus and benefit to working for a site that has a full-time paid staff and 9 websites in its network.

Back