Spider-Man: Homecoming Spider-Man Speculation thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS - Captain America: Civil War - Spider-Man Collectible Figure

Where did this story come from anyway.

That's what I'm wondering. Seems like a lot of speculation. But there is evidence to back it up. I would like some official confirmation though so we can know what to expect.

The only official confirmation is that every MCU Spidey figure so far will be in a multi pack. Cosbaby, Marvel Legends, Funko Pop, the 2.5 inch mini figure... Am I missing any?

The only official confirmation is that every MCU Spidey figure so far will be in a multi pack. Cosbaby, Marvel Legends, Funko Pop, the 2.5 inch mini figure... Am I missing any?

I did not know that. I knew that the Marvel Universe Spiderman was going to come in a pack but all those other ones?

I just hope that they put the Hot Toys Spiderman in his own solo package.

Where did this story come from anyway. How did anyone hear about it. It's a very random rule to put in place

I wonder what the money split. Because before marvel for 100% merchandise money am I right?

That's what I'm wondering. Seems like a lot of speculation. But there is evidence to back it up. I would like some official confirmation though so we can know what to expect.

Marveltoynews was the first site to report on it as a rumor.

now that’s going to frustrate plenty of collectors who only want Spider-Man (and believe me, I know there are a lot of them), but from what I understand, MCU Spidey must be included only in Captain America: Civil War multipacks for licensing reasons or else he cannot be released at all.

Then on Periscope, Yoko McCann from the Funko company was taking questions. Someone asked when there would be a solo Spider-Man figure for Civil War, and she said that there won't be one, and that they were only able to release him if it were part of a multipack, which was part of the reason why it took so long for him to get out.

Given that at least one company confirmed they are under such a restriction and every other toy so far has been in a multipack (including the one by Hot Toys for the Cosbaby line), it's not completely illogical to assume the restriction applies to other companies as well.

^ Well that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Where did this story come from anyway. How did anyone hear about it. It's a very random rule to put in place

I wonder what the money split. Because before marvel for 100% merchandise money am I right?

Before what? And with whom? If you mean spider-man from past films then no, it wasn't 100% to marvel.

Previous to the MCU Spidey deal, Sony made absolutely no money from any Spider-man merchandising; all profits came from box office receipts.

Previous to the MCU Spidey deal, Sony made absolutely no money from any Spider-man merchandising; all profits came from box office receipts.

Wrong

Up until amazing Spider-Man Sony got a huge cut of profits from licensing. That's when they did a deal with marvel to relenqusih most licensing rights.

Last edited:

Imagine Hot Toys life size Civil War Spider-Man at $7000 but a 2 pack makes it $14,000. I bet Hot Toys is asking for an exception.

Wrong

Up until amazing Spider-Man don't got a huge cut of profits from licensing. That's when they did a deal with marvel to relenqusih most licensing rights.

I dont think they "relinquished" rights as much as they licensed them back to disney with stipulations that benefit eachother...

but youre the one who brokered the deal, so what do we know

Nope. Sony got nothing from Spidey merchandising.

Wrong

Up until amazing Spider-Man Sony got a huge cut of profits from licensing. That's when they did a deal with marvel to relenqusih most licensing rights.

I dont think they "relinquished" rights as much as they licensed them back to disney with stipulations that benefit eachother...

but youre the one who brokered the deal, so what do we know

Shocker, a personal attack, unprovoked. And people wonder why I'm defensive.

They did relinquish the rights for around 274 million dollars. Here's the quote from Bob Iger notice how it downs say they licensed them. They bought them. Meaning for a fee, Sony relinquished any further claim. Here's the contract also. The page that address it. All that changed with the new deal. But Sony had rights for the first three spiderman films. Didn't for the next two. And now does again. So, as I said, they did have them, prior to the MCU version. And even after they sold it back, they still got royalties (see the contract which illustrates a 2.5 to 5% commission on merch) But sure, I don't have any idea what I'm talking about.

"To that end, we recently completed a transaction with Sony Pictures to simplify our relationship. And then in the deal, we purchased Sony Pictures' participation in Spiderman merchandising, while at the same time, Sony Pictures purchased from us our participation in Spiderman films. This transaction will allow us to control and fully benefit from all Spiderman merchandising activity, while Sony will continue to produce and distribute Spiderman films. We won't be specific about the economics of this 2-way transaction, but we expect it will drive attractive returns for Disney"

image.jpg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Section 9 of the contract page you posted has absolutely nothing to do with how much money Sony makes from Spider-man merchandise, but rather puts constraints on what royalty negotiations Sony can offer the actors for their likeness rights. For example, the 2.5% - 5% thing is how much Sony could offer Garfield for his likeness in an action figure or a coloring book in his movie contract or Garfield could negotiate directly with MARVEL if he wanted.

Just curious where you found that page though. Is the entire contract available online? I'd love to read the whole thing. Contracts like this are usually confidential and you can get sued for posting them in a public forum if you signed an NDA or work for the law firm that wrote it. Rarely see contracts like this out in the wild for that reason.

I have the entire contract.

The point I was making with it is that it illustrates they (Sony) at the time the contract was typed, where amending the licensing and merch rights, and the line where it states basically as now marvel controls the rights illustrates that previous they did not. Which is further backed by the quote from the Disney CEO stating they bought back the rights , and you can track how much they paid (274ish million by looking at the Sony profit lost statement. And you can see that durning the time the original trilogy was made Sony reported income (public traded company so it's easy to see the records) from spiderman merchandise.

So as I said, Sony did get a cut.

Shocker, a personal attack, unprovoked. And people wonder why I'm defensive.

They did relinquish the rights for around 274 million dollars. Here's the quote from Bob Iger notice how it downs say they licensed them. They bought them. Meaning for a fee, Sony relinquished any further claim. Here's the contract also. The page that address it. All that changed with the new deal. But Sony had rights for the first three spiderman films. Didn't for the next two. And now does again. So, as I said, they did have them, prior to the MCU version. And even after they sold it back, they still got royalties (see the contract which illustrates a 2.5 to 5% commission on merch) But sure, I don't have any idea what I'm talking about.

"To that end, we recently completed a transaction with Sony Pictures to simplify our relationship. And then in the deal, we purchased Sony Pictures' participation in Spiderman merchandising, while at the same time, Sony Pictures purchased from us our participation in Spiderman films. This transaction will allow us to control and fully benefit from all Spiderman merchandising activity, while Sony will continue to produce and distribute Spiderman films. We won't be specific about the economics of this 2-way transaction, but we expect it will drive attractive returns for Disney"

View attachment 266729
View attachment 266730

pretty much exactly what I said...

they didnt relinquish the rights, they made a deal where they both share in the characters use

pretty much exactly what I said...

they didnt relinquish the rights, they made a deal where they both share in the characters use

Again, wrong. They flat sold the licensing rights( i.e. Paid to relinquish). They did not "license them back". Which is what you said. And is not the case.

Sony relinquished all merchandise rights (ones they had to have to let go of, so I was correct there too) in exchange for a large sum of money and greater creative control without the running clock to produce a new film every few years

Last edited:
Back