Spider-Man 4-5 Movie news

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natrix

Super Freak
Reaction score
Spider-Man 4 Coming 2010?!
Written by Stephanie Sanchez
Thursday, 22 May 2008

Marvel Vice Chairman Peter Cuneo was asked about the status of Spider-man 4 today. He confirmed that Sony has made the payment to renew their rights to make the film.

Cuneo said the following, "As far as Spider-man 4, it's really up to Sony and it up to them, most likely scenario is 2010 or 2011 but we can't speak for them and I think that we don't know. They have given us their re-up payment for that film so you know they're going to make it within a reasonable timeframe. Sony may be looking at some issues with the cast and so on, I think they have to make some decisions."

So it's really up to Sony right now, will Tobey Maguire return? Will Sam Raimi return? Also, the re-up payment means the rights need to be used within a reasonable amount of time, so I would expect to hear something regarding movement on 4 and 5 late this year if not early next year.

Cinematical reported that Sony Pictures is looking to film the next two Spider-Man movies, 4 and 5, back to back. They hired James Vanderbilt (Zodiac) to write the screenplays. An inside source told the site that, "[Vanderbilt's] story arc has encompassed two films, making Spider-Man 5 shootable at the same time. The studio saw dollar signs and is in the process of reworking his deal to snatch up the story arc."

So with the re-up paid for Spider-man 4 does that change these rumored plans? The tone of Cuneo's voice when talking about the status seemed to emphasize that Sony needed to make some decisions regarding casting before they could move forward.

Sounds like there will be some recasting and since Sony has the rights again for awhile no crossover or mention of Spider-Man in any of Marvel's upcoming films (which we already knew). If the timeframe is right and they do shoot Spider-Man 4 & 5 back to back though that means the possibility of three Marvel superhero movies during the summers of 2010 and 2011.

I really hope, if they're gonna recast, they get a HOTTER MJ. Kirsten Dunst never fit that role.

After witnessing the utter piece of crap that was Spider-Man 3... lack of writing, too many characters thrown in at once. For that reason the character development suffered a lot, and started to become reminiscent of the later Star Wars flicks. Yes, the first two were hot. However the last one failed on so many levels to entertain me. I would be happy if they didn't make another Spider-Man movie for a long long time. Or atleast have someone else helm the franchise.

Can't wait!!!!! I wouldn't mind a new MJ myself, but i think they maybe could focus on gwen. Should be interesting, back to back eh?

:cool:

Theres no way this is coming before 2011

I read this a couple of days ago....I'm unsure about it. Raimi has set up a definite Spider-Man world but its by no means definitive. A recasting and reboot could be in works since it'll be a good distance of time removed from SM3. Tobey was good but not great as Peter Parker and they could definitely go with other actors and still get the same effect. I also read there is a possibility that Marvel Studios can buy back the rights to Spider-Man from Sony but they want a lot for it so that is up in the air too. If Marvel Studios does in fact buy them back I guarantee a reboot ala The Hulk but if not it should be interesting to see what kind of continuity is kept. Raimi said he doesn't want to film SM4 but has story ideas in mind and the majority of the cast has already said they want to move on so expect casting replacements at minimum.

I kinda wish that Marvel had gotten the rights back so all the Marvel characters can make cameos in each other movies and stuff. But they have a pretty full line-up so if they had the rights back it could be awhile before we got another Spidey. I also hope they don't reboot, I would cancel out Spider-Man 3 and pick up from there and do Venom right. They definitely need to get Fantastic Four back and reboot that one.

For me I'd love to see Minka Kelly as Mary Jane. Put some red hair on her and I think she could pull it off without question!

minka-kelly-mercedes-benz-los-angeles-fashion-week-spring-2008-jenny-han-front-row-day-3-1vpKVp.jpg

Imagine Red Hair with a Flash Thompson?

sn_090906_porter5.jpg

1_468187343m.jpg

I love the idea of Milo as Peter but something tells me they'd want to go younger.....Spidey is supposed to be the kid of the Marvel Universe after all

Why would you need MJ to look young? These are taking place after the first 3 so she'd be in her early to mid 20's at this point. I have no problem with the recast for MJ but it's gonna be hard to get someone to be a better Spidey than Toby.

The Mike was referring to Pete, not MJ.

Tobey Maguire was a cool Spidey but he can be replaced. From the moment I saw Heroes and Peter Petrelli, I've thought that Milo could be a great Spidey.

I agree. Milo has the subtile awkwardness but still the brooding guise that Peter Parker has become in the modern times and would do great in the role. Jake Gyllenhaal has been spit around as a replacement Spidey forever....Milo has the same style of look just more believable in the genre thanks to Heroes so I wouldn't count him out if they recast. Maguire has said over and over he wants nothing to do with a SM4 but looking at the fact he hasn't really done much since it might be one of those recounted statements.

For me I'd love to see Minka Kelly as Mary Jane. Put some red hair on her and I think she could pull it off without question!

Minka Kelly...:monkey5 (Friday Night Lights FTW)

Kirsten Dunst never seemed like MJ to me. She's supposed to be a supermodel, for pete's sake!

As for the two-film arc: I wish they had approached the symbiote/Venom story like that, rather than shove it into an already bloated film. They should have let Raimi end his series with Sandman and Vulture (or whatever his original plan was), and then pass the franchise off to someone who actually liked the symbiote/Venom arc for 4 and 5. Oh well...

Considering they are calling it 4 and 5 at this point I would safely assume that new villains would need to be introduced and they are keeping continuity. Although I'm praying for Marvel Studios to buy back the rights and reboot it.

Minka Kelly...:monkey5 (Friday Night Lights FTW)

Kirsten Dunst never seemed like MJ to me. She's supposed to be a supermodel, for pete's sake!

As for the two-film arc: I wish they had approached the symbiote/Venom story like that, rather than shove it into an already bloated film. They should have let Raimi end his series with Sandman and Vulture (or whatever his original plan was), and then pass the franchise off to someone who actually liked the symbiote/Venom arc for 4 and 5. Oh well...

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture

Well leave it to the old guard of Marvel Films for that mistake. They pressured him to do it and he knew it'd end up badly. The sad thing is that Venom was a character wasted and in reality so was the Sandman and Green Goblin II.

Originally Posted by silentman116
Minka Kelly... (Friday Night Lights FTW)

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture

Back