Spartacus on Starz (spoilers for US aired episodes!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

SDCC Friday

3:15-4:15 Spartacus: Blood and Sand— Andy Whitfield (McLeod's Daughters) makes his Comic-Con debut, along with Lucy Lawless (Xena: Warrior Princess), John Hannah (The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor), and Viva Bianca (Bad Bush). Executive producer Stephen S. DeKnight (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) joins the cast to discuss the upcoming prequel, titled Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, expected to air on Starz in January 2011, and the exclusive content found on the first season Blu-ray discs, available September 21. Room 6BCF

:( I wish I was going this year.

Bad news for Andy Whitfield and the series as his cancer has returned. :(

Let's hope and pray he beats it again.

Andy Whitfield will not be returning for the second season star of Starz’s ‘Spartacus: Blood and Sand,’ as he instead undergoes “aggressive treatment for a recurrence of cancer,” his publicist says in a statement cited by The Hollywood Reporter.

The Welsh-born actor, 35, had been diagnosed with treatable Stage 1 non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in early March, and was declared cancer free in early May. He completed his original treatment therapy in June.

‘Spartacus’ Star Has Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma

“It’s with a deep sense of disappointment that I must step aside from such an exceptional project as ‘Spartacus‚’ and all the wonderful people involved,” Whitfield says in a statement. “It seems that it is time for myself and my family to embark on another extraordinary journey. Thank you sincerely for the support so far.”

Whitfield was most confident about his return to ‘Spartacus’ when he appeared at the show’s panel at the San Diego Comic-Con this summer. “I feel better than ever,” he told Zap2It. “Like, seriously, I feel like I’m 10 years younger. I had a good rest.”

‘Spartacus’ Prequel Promises More Drama, Battles and Creative Cursing

To accommodate the production delay born of Whitfield’s original recuperation, Starz halted the original ‘Spartacus’ and fast-tracked a six-episode prequel series titled ‘Spartacus: Gods of the Arena.’ Whitfield was to appear in the first and last episodes, serving as a “bookend” sort of touchstone.

Production on ‘Gods of the Arena’ is underway, while ‘Blood and Sand’s future lies in limbo.

“Right now, we just want to extend our concern and support to Andy and his family,” says Starz Media managing director Carmi Zlotnik. “We will address our programming plans at some later date.”

Very sad news. I hope his new treatment is successful.

Damn this news totally sucks :(

I wish him all the best and I really hope he's able to beat this terrible disease once again!

Really sucks... But he sounds like he's got a fighter's attitude and that's what he'll need.

That does suck and I hope he gets well. I also hope they recast and continue the show.

Bad news for Andy Whitfield and the series as his cancer has returned. :(

Let's hope and pray he beats it again.

Andy Whitfield will not be returning for the second season star of Starz’s ‘Spartacus: Blood and Sand,’ as he instead undergoes “aggressive treatment for a recurrence of cancer,” his publicist says in a statement cited by The Hollywood Reporter.

The Welsh-born actor, 35, had been diagnosed with treatable Stage 1 non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in early March, and was declared cancer free in early May. He completed his original treatment therapy in June.

‘Spartacus’ Star Has Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma

“It’s with a deep sense of disappointment that I must step aside from such an exceptional project as ‘Spartacus‚’ and all the wonderful people involved,” Whitfield says in a statement. “It seems that it is time for myself and my family to embark on another extraordinary journey. Thank you sincerely for the support so far.”

Whitfield was most confident about his return to ‘Spartacus’ when he appeared at the show’s panel at the San Diego Comic-Con this summer. “I feel better than ever,” he told Zap2It. “Like, seriously, I feel like I’m 10 years younger. I had a good rest.”

‘Spartacus’ Prequel Promises More Drama, Battles and Creative Cursing

To accommodate the production delay born of Whitfield’s original recuperation, Starz halted the original ‘Spartacus’ and fast-tracked a six-episode prequel series titled ‘Spartacus: Gods of the Arena.’ Whitfield was to appear in the first and last episodes, serving as a “bookend” sort of touchstone.

Production on ‘Gods of the Arena’ is underway, while ‘Blood and Sand’s future lies in limbo.

“Right now, we just want to extend our concern and support to Andy and his family,” says Starz Media managing director Carmi Zlotnik. “We will address our programming plans at some later date.”

WOW! :thud::(

This really sucks. I hope he fully recovers, and gets back in the game. I don't like it when characters get recast so he needs to be Spartacus no matter what!!!!!

Agreed. Let's hope he can beat this thing quickly and get back to what he does best - making awesome TV.

From what I can tell, Andy is dropping out. He isn't going to hold the series hostage (obviously not his intention), so I think he's telling them now that he's bowing out so they can either cancel the series or find a replacement. Its the honorable move.

I sure as heck don't want them to cancel, so hope they chose to carry on with a replacement.

From what I can tell, Andy is dropping out. He isn't going to hold the series hostage (obviously not his intention), so I think he's telling them now that he's bowing out so they can either cancel the series or find a replacement. Its the honorable move.

I sure as heck don't want them to cancel, so hope they chose to carry on with a replacement.

Eh, I don't want them to cancel but if they did I would be happy with what we got. Season 1 rocked and we are getting a mini prequel.

Hell yeah, it was a great show regardless. Not gonna be distraught or anything if they cancel...but IMO an actor doesn't make the entire series. Not to be callous, but they can find a replacement.

Hell yeah, it was a great show regardless. Not gonna be distraught or anything if they cancel...but IMO an actor doesn't make the entire series. Not to be callous, but they can find a replacement.

It depends. In some cases, the actor makes the role. Look at Indiana Jones, or even Dexter for that matter. I'm not saying that's the case here, but Andy put so much work into developing the character that it'll be hard seeing someone else take over the role.

Just finished rewatching Season 1 this weekend. Even better the second time around.

:rock Yeah I'm thinking about buying it on Blu Ray, but it's so darn expensive.

~~I'm not sure how reliable Gamepro is for Movie news, but I saw an update that they are officially looking for someone to replace Andy Whitfield as Spartacus. I was in denial because I really hate recasting and I was hoping Whitfield would bust through that cancer like Lance, but I guess this is like a sucker punch below the belt.

https://tv.ign.com/articles/112/1125262p1.html

"Starz decides to continue with series, in the wake of Andy Whitfield's departure.
October 4, 2010

The hunt for a new Spartacus has begun. In the wake of Spartacus: Blood and Sand star Andy Whitfield sadly having to leave the series after his cancer returned, the question became what the producers of the series would do. Recently, executive producer Steven S. DeKnight said they were wrestling with simply ending Spartacus or recasting the role.

EW.com's Michael Ausiello now reports that Starz has begun searching for a new star for the series, sending out a casting notice looking for "a Caucasian male in his mid to late 30s to play the 'smart, intense, passionate' title role." Ausiello also notes that Starz is looking for an actor who has an authentic British accent and that the role will include a three-year contract.

In the meantime, the prequel series, Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, is still scheduled to air in January."

Back