Sovereign Studios Newt Project ALIENS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has Shawn responded yet with what he plans to do on this figure or if this is even a "go" project yet? I know he was asking if he should do this or Deckard.

Hey Shawn, if you're out there, let us know what you're thinking in terms of this NEWT project: full figure custom, head sculpt, whatever?

This looks like a definite go... we have 18 members interested already. That's more than enough to launch this... :D Shawn has already asked if he should just go with this project now. And he's on the hunt for materials.

Sovereign Freaks Newt Group Rate Figure

Updated: Those who have expressed Interest so far...

r-pjam
r*Wor Gar
r-galacticboy
metaphorge
s*lerath666
s*icruise
s*BadMoon
s-sick boy 82
r-dark spidey
r-tigerfeet
s-FACEBOX
*kuzeh
r-Mudshark
r - Les Walker (Head only pending HS)
*Ironman1188 (pending HS)
r-Jedimike71
*r-William Shatners Toupee (pending HS)
s*Sabres21768 (pending HS)

r = rooted hair
s = sculpted hair
k = kit (outfit with no body)

*Yes, I am potentially interested in a Sovereign Studios Custom Newt

The Anakin body was a good choice. I've considered those myself for many things, but they're pretty hard to come by these days. I"m trying to scrape one up for young Michael Myers.

Thinking more about Newt's clothes, tailoring may not be a major issue if you're wanting to use your own body. It's a baggy shirt and baggy coveralls. Her costume really wasn't what you could call tailored, anyway. The only issue could be height depending on the body you use. What seems like the most feasible thing at this point is two offer Newt two ways: a complete figure using whatever body most of us can agree on, and a "kit" version without a body for those of you that want to build your own. The price difference would be whatever the cost of the bodies ends up being.

newtf.jpg
newtb.jpg

newtshoe5.jpg

Please Specify kit if preferred. All others will be for a complete figure.

alien5.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion, Wor-Gar. Yes, I'm in for the Newt project. As pjam said, I've already begun to hunt around and gather reference material and such.

I did spot one problem with rooted hair for Newt, unfortunately. It comes down to how much you guys care; if it's a major or minor point to you.... The problem is, she has bangs. In some photos I've collected she clearly has a narrow section of bangs, her hair is not all one length. However, in most of the film, this is barely noticable. Her bangs are narrow; from the center of one eye to the center of the other. Most of the time it's tangled or nicely groomed (in family photos) and her bangs are blended in to the rest of her hair.

Bangs are nearly impossible to do realistically in 1:6 scale. Yes, you can do it. I've done it many times. But they never look good. The best way to go with Newt for rooted hair is to do it all one length (see photo of the Brad Whitford head).

aliens-newt3.jpg

aliens-newt2.jpg

Aliens-newt.jpg

I guess the best way for us to decide would be to see a prototype of both versions.
But, Shawn, if you think that rooted hair might be a problem, I really don't mind a sculpted hair either. I just thought that rooted hair would have been more appropriate.

I agree rooted hair would be best. It only presents a problem if people want the bangs. If not it's far easier to pull off.

I'm sorry Sabres21768, but you MUST have OVER 150 posts to qualify....

j/k Bro. Glad to have you with us!

rooted or sculpted hair?

:rotfl:rotfl

Dude, you actually had me there for a minute.

I'd actually prefer sculpted hair. Rooted hair never looks right to me.

Shawn,
re: bangs, don't need them IMO. And you need at least 1 post to make these.

That Whitford/John Paul Jones hair is fine with me... :monkey1

Sorry for the confusion, Wor-Gar. Yes, I'm in for the Newt project. As pjam said, I've already begun to hunt around and gather reference material and such.

Excellent news! Thanks Shawn!

As to the bangs, like Pjam said, I don't care about having bangs. I plan to make her hair messy as can be anyway.

However, if you think sculpted is better, I'm fine with that too. I just noted my gut preference after seeing your posted examples. Whatever you think is the best way to go is good with me.

Bangs? We don' need no stinkin' bangs! She's gonna look great with all that wild frizzy hair! It might even be possible to do a wee bit of trimming to make the bangs, anyway.

Since Rips and everyone else but pjam's Bishop have sculpted hair, if that turns out to be the most popular option, I'd be okay with it. But the fuzzy look would definitely make it "Newt".

Bangs? We don' need no stinkin' bangs! She's gonna look great with all that wild frizzy hair! It might even be possible to do a wee bit of trimming to make the bangs, anyway.

Since Rips and everyone else but pjam's Bishop have sculpted hair, if that turns out to be the most popular option, I'd be okay with it. But the fuzzy look would definitely make it "Newt".

I think Shawn will offer both options, that is my understanding...

Sovereign Freaks Newt Group Rate Figure

Updated: Those who have expressed Interest so far...

r-pjam
r*Wor Gar
r-galacticboy
metaphorge
s*lerath666
s*icruise
s*BadMoon
s-sick boy 82
r-dark spidey
r-tigerfeet
s-FACEBOX
*kuzeh
r-Mudshark
r - Les Walker (Head only pending HS)
*Ironman1188 (pending HS)
r-Jedimike71
*r-William Shatners Toupee (pending HS)
s*Sabres21768 (pending HS)
k- P@CK@R@CK

r = rooted hair
s = sculpted hair
k = kit (outfit with no body)

*Yes, I am potentially interested in a Sovereign Studios Custom Newt

The Anakin body was a good choice. I've considered those myself for many things, but they're pretty hard to come by these days. I"m trying to scrape one up for young Michael Myers.

Thinking more about Newt's clothes, tailoring may not be a major issue if you're wanting to use your own body. It's a baggy shirt and baggy coveralls. Her costume really wasn't what you could call tailored, anyway. The only issue could be height depending on the body you use. What seems like the most feasible thing at this point is two offer Newt two ways: a complete figure using whatever body most of us can agree on, and a "kit" version without a body for those of you that want to build your own. The price difference would be whatever the cost of the bodies ends up being.

newtf.jpg
newtb.jpg

newtshoe5.jpg

Please Specify kit if preferred. All others will be for a complete figure.

alien5.jpg

Last edited:
Hey pjam, I'm down for a Newt kit. I'd like to hold off on deciding rooted or not until I see the finished sculpt if possible. Thanks.

Hey pjam, I'm down for a Newt kit. I'd like to hold off on deciding rooted or not until I see the finished sculpt if possible. Thanks.

You got it. A kit means you provide your own body.

All others are complete figs Guys.

Last edited:
A few shots of the Newt sculpt, primary stages. I already see a couple things I need to change; angle of the tip of her nose and her lower lip. Here are the first shots of what I have, anyway:

ZNEWTCOLLAGEDIGICOMP.jpg

Nice start, Shawn. I love the compare between your mold and the real Newt (with hair). I think it's clear from that compare what needs to be addressed; wider nose, etc. The profile shot above that looks real nice too. Shaping up well.

Thanks for trusting us with an advanced peek at your early work.

Yep, first of all I am seriously pumped to see your first WIP pics Shawn...

The cheeks do need to be wider and fuller, almost more doll like..

The nose looks like it needs reworking, bridge and nostril area IMO but you are already getting the essence of Newt.

The mouth is already starting to look great, I like that expression...

Most important to me is the eyes, again more doll like... rounder, not as almond-shaped so it seems they also need some work.

Newt had a rounder head... the sculpt, especially around the eyes looks more like an older person than a child...

Btw, I watched the Special Features disk from the ALIENS CE Directors cut...

A section called "The two Orphans" features Newt and Ripley and there's a lot to pick up there, Newt's shoes, her correct height...

Maybe someone who has it can post a few screengrabs?

But in watching the Special features it seems to me Newt's shirt was actually a brown color... anyone else see that?

Last edited:
hey guys,
Made a few revisions on the sculpt. I should have new photos up later on. I mostly come out at night. Mostly.....

A few things I've gathered from the comments so far:
Take a closer look at Newt in the movie. I can see where you guys are coming from thinking, as a lot of people do, that all children have big round heads. They do not. Newt does not. Most of that puffiness in a child's face comes mainly from the lack of distinct facial features; frown lines, a defined bridge to the nose, defined cheekbones, brow, etc. Quite often the lack of these features creates the illusion of a chubby face. Remember also that kids in movies are never as young as they're said to be. They always cast slightly older than the character. Thet have to do that. Anyone who has kids knows that 8 year-olds are inarticulate, spastic squirrels on crack. You generally need at least a 10 year-old to play 8. Look especially at the ALIENS special edition, the scenes where the Jordans visit the derelict ship. There are a series of great shots that show her from every angle as she's waiting for her parents. Yes, she has the common traces of baby fat in her face. She also has a fairly long face, made longer by a high hairline. Her nose is also oddly un-child like. If you look at her today she has that exact same nose. This scene in the film is what I'm using as reference. She's clean, well lit and her hair is out of her face. It's the best stuff in the whole movie for sculpting. I really wish I could do screen caps for you.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the input and look forward to more. It just seems to me that some of you are being guided a bit more by that generic image of children we all have in our heads, and a bit less by what this particular child actually looked like.

pjam,
To me that shirt looks like a common thermal underwear shirt in gray. I think the brown tone just comes from how dirty it is.

Back