So...what Marvel comics do you read?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SolidLiquidFox said:
I read Fables and Y the Last Man in trades as well. Excellent series both.

Ex Machina, Planetary and Powers also read better in trades.

I have been considering picking up Ex Machina, Powers, and Planetary since I've heard such good things...will wait and see if they come out in a large collected addition and if not pick up the trades cheap on the secondary market.....I still need to pick up a few omnibus books and HC that are out:

Omnibus X-men #1(just released)
Omnibus Alias
Omnibus Fantastic Four #1
Walking Dead
Earth X (the one in color)
also some other DC Works

there are price but think the X-men one will be awesome and will re-print all the X-men from #94...I have read my essential x-men so many times the books are falling apart and hate the Black and white...these HC will rock!

Greetings, all!
My name is snowtrooper1966, and I too am a comic geek. You know, SolidLiquildFox, part of the idea of a sponsor is to have something your sponsee's want. I will send you my comics if you send me your sideshow.....
Seriously, I have a pretty extensive collection that started a good twenty years ago. If I could only recoup the dough I have spent on storage for them, I could probably buy all the Grey Hulk VS Spiderman's.....
Since I moved to the mountains a few yers ago, I have been able to stop going to the comic store and doing any impulse buying. I nw have to think about my purchases, and actually last year made a master list of holes in recent collecting, as well as must haves, took it to Comic Con, and did virtually all my shopping for the year at once. When I did buy titles weekly, I would tend to save them up and read a "story" in one sitting. This coupled with the cost savings make me a big fan of trade paperbacks. I know they are not the individual issues, but let's face it, in this era of mass production, aside from the "dealer incentive" and occasional key issues, none of these current books will be worth much more than cover price anyhow....
Marvel I currently read:
FF
most X Men including Wolvie
any cosmic (Thanos, Silver Surfer etc...)
Avengers
Ultimate(s)
Spider Man
DareDevil
HULK
and more I am forgetting! My memory actually has got worse since I quit smoking ganja, go figure...
Best,

have to change some of my comments...just got these off of BAMM.com:

Omnibus X-men #1, Omnibus Alias, Omnibus Fantastic Four, Walking Dead LTD Edition HC, plus 10 others to included the new Daredevil HC (5), Ultimate X-men HC (6), Ultimate Fan 4 HC(2), Some collected Spider-mans HC, Marvel and DC encycle. and a couple of Lone wolf and Cubs I was missing...OUCH! it was a bit pricy but the Omnibus' and the Walking Dead are just to awesome to pass up...not a bad price on them either

......and here I was trying to get funds ready for the Hulk VS Spidey coming out from Sideshow.....whoops.....:).......will have to put up a Bowen phasing vision to afford it now

Last edited:
wizard-comics said:
have to change some of my comments...just got these off of BAMM.com:

Omnibus X-men #1, Omnibus Alias, Omnibus Fantastic Four, Walking Dead LTD Edition HC, plus 10 others to included the new Daredevil HC (5), Ultimate X-men HC (6), Ultimate Fan 4 HC(2), Some collected Spider-mans HC, Marvel and DC encycle. and a couple of Lone wolf and Cubs I was missing...OUCH! it was a bit pricy but the Omnibus' and the Walking Dead are just to awesome to pass up...not a bad price on them either

......and here I was trying to get funds ready for the Hulk VS Spidey coming out from Sideshow.....whoops.....:).......will have to put up a Bowen phasing vision to afford it now

That's some good pickups there. Lots of good reading to last you a while. I find myself taking some of my trades to work to read in my 15 minute breaks. I am a bit backed up in some of them. I am currently halfway through the last Fables trade (Homelands). Surprisingly a nice departure from the main story. I recommend ordering the X-Factor HC that's being offered this month. It's a pretty good read from Peter David. Check out his last run on Captain Marvel also. GREAT stuff.

BTW there are large HC for Planetary and Powers already.

snowtrooper: I agree that trades are the future. I don't see the "phamplet" format lasting the long run. In this age of comics on the web and multi-crossovers it just doesn't make sense. I mean, how many issues do you have to pick up to follow Civil War? which do you read first? is not even like when the Superman books were labelled so you knew what to read in what order. I still pick up individual issues as I love to get that package in the mail every month full of comics goodness. I also love going to the comic shop. I try to support my local store since I been going there since I was 18. Large orders, GG statues and some series I do through mailordercomics.com

SolidLiquidFox said:
That's some good pickups there. Lots of good reading to last you a while. I find myself taking some of my trades to work to read in my 15 minute breaks. I am a bit backed up in some of them. I am currently halfway through the last Fables trade (Homelands). Surprisingly a nice departure from the main story. I recommend ordering the X-Factor HC that's being offered this month. It's a pretty good read from Peter David. Check out his last run on Captain Marvel also. GREAT stuff.

BTW there are large HC for Planetary and Powers already............

thanks for the info....not sure about the X-factor, I didn't know they had started up again........I loved the 4 issues X-Factor mini-series they did a few years back (dealing with FBI agents I think) that was some great writing and wish it would of been made into an ongoing series...

I would really like to check out Ex Machina as well, it sounds cool. I'm gonna wait for a trade or Uber bundle book of some sort though.

Darth Rage said:
I would really like to check out Ex Machina as well, it sounds cool. I'm gonna wait for a trade or Uber bundle book of some sort though.

Good book. It's pretty much the story of a guy that tried to be a super-hero and ends up being mayor of NY. The book revolves mostly on his responsibilities being the mayor and little with the fact that he has the power to talk to machines. There are bits in the form of flashbacks of when he used to be "The Great Machine" but there is no focus on that too much.

If anybody would like some old runs of comics, I have some that I have no place for anymore:

X-Factor - 1st Series with Scott, Henry, Warren, Bobby and then Jean...................I believe this is a full run......................with some annuals and limiteds

Alpha Flight - 1St series 1 thru 130something (2 or 3 issues shy of a full run) with some annuals and some limiteds.........

Mutant X - full run with annuals...............this is where Havok/Alex Summers supposidly dies in the last issue of X-Factor and sent to the Miutant X universe.............

If anyone is interested, let me know....................

I used to read heaps - mainly the X-titles and Iron Man and Moon Knight - but I got fed up with how many cross overs there were and how much it was all costing me. I quit round about the time Heroes Reborn occurred. I didn't really like the direction that Iron Man went, Moon Knight had been cancelled and the X-titles were heading all over the place.

I'll be starting again with the new Moon Knight series that starts up soon.

My current read list is:
  1. Invincible - my #1 book, the one I look forward to every month
  2. Teen Titans - I'm weary of where the book will go without Superboy and Gar. I don't know yet if I like Ravager and the other guy.
  3. Legion of Super-Heroes - this has been entertaining since the beginning
  4. Fables - really liked the concept when it launched and it's interesting to see them bring in different fables
  5. G.I. Joe: America's Elite - they were bringing the team back from huge astronomical stories, but now Snake Eyes died and has been resurrected???
  6. Runaways - I've been on board since the first arc
  7. Ultimates - the only Ultimate book I still read
  8. various Star Wars books - just cause I gotta do it, but some of these are actually pretty good

Civil War seems like it could be good. I wanna see who chooses what side and how far they take it.

I prefer individual issues to trades. To me there's just something about reading each issue that's exciting. When you've got a good read and you get to that final page splash, next month can't come soon enough; or if you're reading them all at once, you gotta instantly pick up the next issue. It's not the same when you just turn the page. Plus, when reading older stuff, you miss great ads for stuff like "Zen: The Intergalactic Ninja toys". There's no value in issues anymore, so you can buy most stuff in lots on eBay for cheap. Yesterday I went to Borders and ended up reading the entire House of M TPB, it was $25, on eBay you can buy all 8 issues for about half-price shipped.

Azrael - the new Moon Knight started last week I believe. One of the LCSs had a group of artists and writers in for Free Comic Book Day and one of them was Charlie Huston who writes the new MK series, so I brought my copy in and he signed it. It seems pretty good so far, it's just the first issue, so it's pretty much all set-up, but I think it'll be pretty good. I was inspired after reading the letter that Huston wrote in the back of the book where letters would go.

SolidLiquidFox said:
Good book. It's pretty much the story of a guy that tried to be a super-hero and ends up being mayor of NY. The book revolves mostly on his responsibilities being the mayor and little with the fact that he has the power to talk to machines. There are bits in the form of flashbacks of when he used to be "The Great Machine" but there is no focus on that too much.

BKVaughn supposedly said that may change about our fine Mayor.

GSRJedi said:
Azrael - the new Moon Knight started last week I believe. One of the LCSs had a group of artists and writers in for Free Comic Book Day and one of them was Charlie Huston who writes the new MK series, so I brought my copy in and he signed it. It seems pretty good so far, it's just the first issue, so it's pretty much all set-up, but I think it'll be pretty good. I was inspired after reading the letter that Huston wrote in the back of the book where letters would go.

Just bought issues 1-3 tonight over the net. I'll see how it goes.

LordAzrael said:
Just bought issues 1-3 tonight over the net. I'll see how it goes.
It's not bad....artwork is allright, allthough maybe just a little too flashy for my taste, but issue 3 is the best so far, with a great background story.
I'll keep up with it for a while.

Been reading all the reviews of Civil War..........

Have #1 and the Wolverine issues............

Cannot wait to see the Clint Barton reveal and the Thor reveal as well.................excited somewhat about the "Alpha Flight" type book to come about.............

Hopefully they bring back the West Coast Avengers as well.............

But unless Cap changes his mind.................the Avengers maybe the underground group...........and Iron Man's Shield group might be known as another unnamed group................meaning that Cap keeps the Avengers name.............

There really is a lot of possibilities for the conclusions

If Civil War doesn't validate Captain America as a hero that's relevant in today's world then I don't know what will.

I know a lot of people think Cap is just a boyscoutt and a soft hero. I used to buy into that line of thinking also. Well, think again. The man is a tactical genious, fearless warrior and all around best leader. Not to mention an inspiration to other heroes in the Marvel universe.

I'm just reading The Eternals, Gaiman is awesome. I base my reads on artists and writers, right now though I like DC better. Last yer, I woulda said I like Marvel better, BUT Marvel is getting Loeb and McGuiness sooooo they'll get me there. I just hate both DC and Marvels big events, Civil War, Infinate Crisis I just don't get into it. I got real tired of the Ultimate univers, except the Ultimates which is Marvels best series, IMO. Check out Eternals though, blowing my mind!

Back