SilentSurfer's Laboratory: Come up to the Lab & See What's on the Slab.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buttmunch's Dream Demon Freddy.
Profile.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

SidebySide.jpg

DreamDemonFreddy.jpg

That is some fantastic paintwork and detailing you've done to the Slave Leia and Freddy!
Well done! :chew

Last Saturday night at Bottega Louie in Hollywood for Pitu's birthday.

Me, my wife, Ill Jedi, Pitu, and Commtech. That was a fun night.
DSC03322.jpg

Damn, sitting on my ass doing customs is making me fat. Time to do some jogging.

My own custom Michael Myers on display at qstoysandcollectibles booth at Frank & Sons in City of Industry, Ca.

Booth2.jpg

It's the one on the left. The other is using a recast of the old M1 Michaels Myers resin model kit head.

Some pics of my first Dream Master from the other thread.

HPIM5478.jpg

HPIM5479.jpg

With the funace before extensive customization.
HPIM5508.jpg

HPIM5506.jpg

HPIM5499.jpg

HPIM5501.jpg

HPIM5505.jpg

Photoshopped concept of what I wanted to do with the furnace.
LitFurnace.jpg

The Gestapo Hat. It actually has flocking on it to make it look like real fur felt material.
hat.jpg

It started black, but a little light layering with the airbrush, some strategic scraping with a sharp tool to give the illusion of little cuts in the material, and tada!
HPIM5649.jpg

HPIM5647.jpg

HPIM5651.jpg

HPIM5652.jpg

HPIM5658.jpg

HPIM5664.jpg

HPIM5663.jpg

{ORIGINAL POST: 12-10-09} Furnace mod in progress. Thankfully this isn't one of Sideshow's newer Environments, or it would be made of polystone and this would be so much harder and more time consuming. The foam on the other hand is a sinch. A sharp kitchen knife got the front of the furnace off, and a Dremel erased the back of the door.

HPIM5669.jpg

HPIM5671.jpg

HPIM5677.jpg

HPIM5679.jpg

{ORIGINAL POST: 12-15-09}
Taking apart the tea lights.
HPIM5680.jpg

HPIM5681.jpg

Making sure I know which wire and which part of the battery is positive and negative.
HPIM5683.jpg

I've got all the lights dismantled. The furnace is hollowed out. Using the smallest pieces from a bag of decorative broken glass, I made what will be the burning embers by gluing them and the skull to the cut, clear lid of a trading cards holder. You can see the grooves in the furnace where the ember plate fits in nice and snug. It will sit almost flat, but tilted just a bit toward the door.
HPIM5695.jpg

I already gave the ember plate a translucent coat of yellow and put one unmodified tea light behind it so you can see a bit of the effect I'm after. I painted the skull to have a boney color, but to look dirty and ashed up.
HPIM5698.jpg

I cut a sheet of styrene to hold the LEDs, and using a series of lines, figured out the most uniform positioning for five LEDs figuring the interior would be dark and not much light would actually come out if I only used one light.

Here's a shot of the ember plate in front of the furnace with a tea light inside. Right now there is a lot of light reflecting off the unpainted, bright yellow foam of the interior making me think that five lights will be overkill, but once the inside is painted black, the plate is finished with a deep red highlights and black 'snow peaks', and the LED tray is positioned beneath it, I think five lights won't be too bright.
HPIM5699.jpg

{ORIGINAL POST: 12-16-09}
...paint the back of it black.
HPIM5709.jpg

Until Freddy's home, the furnace is cold and dark.
HPIM5710.jpg

All my carving out is done. I have a slot for the ember plate, plus a recess for the LED tray. This is kind of a funky shot. You are looking down into the furnace.
HPIM5713.jpg

I drilled holes for the switch (from one of the tea lights) in the back...
HPIM5712.jpg

And to the alcove for the battery pack (enclosed, 2 battery, AA holder)...
HPIM5711.jpg

Which fits tight and snug. So tight in fact that I need to put a piece of plastic under it, so I could pull it out to change the batteries at some later date.
HPIM5714.jpg

{ORIGINAL POST: 12-16-09}
...play connect the positives and negative, but not to each other. If I had soldered these in a series, ie, postive to negative to positive to negative, I would have had to supply it with 15 volts of juice to light up properly. Instead, I power five lights with 3 volts each, using only 3 volts of juice (2 AA 1.5 volt batteries) by doing a creative version of a parallel connection, ie, all positives touching and connected to the positive wire, and all negatives touching and connected to the negative. I just didn't do them in the traditional parallel rows. I connected the nearest three pos. and leap frogged it to the other two, and likewise with the neg. The negatives are the wires with black Sharpie marker on them. For an extra secure connection, I covered each solder point with hot glue.
HPIM5701.jpg

The other side is painted in a mottled gold & copper fashion to be reflective, yet interesting to look at, though I will likely never see it again.
HPIM5702.jpg

HPIM5703.jpg

Here it is with the battery pack, switch, and the fully painted ember plate. The plate looks really red and not at all translucent in this pic.
HPIM5700.jpg

But in these shots, it looks pretty friggin' awesome, don't you think?
HPIM5704.jpg

You should see it with the flickering going on.
HPIM5705.jpg

{ORIGINAL POST: 12-17-09}
A couple last shots of the interior with both the LED tray and ember plate inserted before the door gets glued back on.
HPIM5715.jpg

HPIM5717.jpg

HPIM5718.jpg

With a little outside light coming in, the plate looks its best. You can still see lots of the red and black.
HPIM5719.jpg

But despite how bright the ember plate is, washing out a lot of the red when sealed in the dark, it still doesn't create a lot of ambient light to shine out of the slits in the door, so I gave the black interior a coat of golden/copper, but being pitted foam, it really doesn't do much to reflect light. It only helped a little. It really does its job right with all the lights real low in the room.
HPIM5722.jpg

Overall it's incredibly awesome effect, and well worth the effort, though I wouldn't be too eager to do it all again.
HPIM5730.jpg

I'll usually be looking at it sitting on a desk, and see into it from this downward angel. That was really the reason I didn't go for a flame effect, but a smoldering ember effect instead, with a child's burnt skull.
HPIM5732.jpg

HPIM5731.jpg

Back