Sideshow's G.I. JOE Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But this is not a Hasbro area???????
(If that is your argument for it being in this area.)

Right except these are licensed by HASBRO not Marvel and while Dave initial did move this thread to the General area it was moved back here as it is clearly a military line but in no way licensed to SS by Marvel hence why it should not go in that area.

No, but I really need to. A while ago i downloaded all the old marvel Gi-goe comics, I never got around to finishing reading it. Never found the time.
Whole lot cheaper than trying to track down everyu issue of the series.

Uhmm. That's nice that SSC got the licence, but how is that possible really? Hasbro CREATED the GI Joes back in the 60's and then the little guys in the 80's. It is an In House licence, I cannot believe they would just let it go. Unless they are just not interested in the 12" line any more. Seems very odd though.

I would love a nice 12" Duke and Flint. Lady Jaye too as long as they DON't use the Buck body :)

Uhmm. That's nice that SSC got the licence, but how is that possible really? Hasbro CREATED the GI Joes back in the 60's and then the little guys in the 80's. It is an In House licence, I cannot believe they would just let it go. Unless they are just not interested in the 12" line any more. Seems very odd though.

I would love a nice 12" Duke and Flint. Lady Jaye too as long as they DON't use the Buck body :)

I think the reason Hasbro licensed it out is because they are giving the collectors what they want. 1/6 scale versions of the RAH characters that Hasbro have chosen not to do.

BadMoon said:
Are we seriously arguing over the placement of this thread. :lol

I'm only doing it because I didn't sleep yet and Im bored before my first class.

Yeaa when I go without sleep I can get to be a bastard. :lol I'm sure by 7 pm Ill have crashed and I'll sleep real late tomorrow. God bless classes that don't start until 1:25... and curse ones that start at 10 10 am. :monkey4

It's the same reason why Sideshow is producing 1:6 figures for "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones" as well: The high-end, collector's market is not something that Hasbro is interested it and it's what Sideshow does as well as anyone out there. Hasbro didn't let anything go. They still control the G.I. JOE brand and toy license. They're simply allowing Sideshow the opportunity to offer more-detailed, collectible figures to a completely separate market. These figures will be direct-market only limited editions and will be solicited/priced/sold accordingly. Hasbro wants no part of that, but I'm sure they won't mind making a few extra bucks by allowing Sideshow to fill that particular void.

Yup, this isn't Hasbro handing over the property, they've just seen the fruits of outsourcing part of their Star Wars license to Sideshow and with the upcoming film, nostalgia and marketing for G.I. Joe will be at a peak and I think they feel that there will be enough demand in a high end 1/6 market to give Sideshow reign to roll out some product. If they stay true as possible to the 80's cartoon designs, I'll be really anxious to see how costumes like Cobra Commander and portraits like Destro turn out. Hopefully with a little luck, Andy Bergholtz will be doing work again for Sideshow on this line, he's done a Serpentor mini bust and I love it it, would be great to see that portrait on 1/6 figure, and the whole costume could be stunning if done right.

WHO'S WITH ME ?????????????? KIDS FROM THE 80'S REJOICE !!!!

Sir T, standing by.

I teach and my students are 18 now and they don't understand the passion the children fo the 80's have for all things...80's!

They screw up their faces or laugh or raise an eyebrow. ....just like we did when our parents told us about something from the 50's or 60's, I suppse.
But, our stuff is returning now and from the looks of it, in all its original glory!
Because, our generation are making these damn things now!

I am psyched! This is going to be incredible! I am hoping for PF's though too!

GIJoe2f1.jpg

OH LORD, PLEASE GIVE US A 1/6 SNAKE EYES THAT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THIS!!!!!

So Irish, how did you get told about the Joe line? Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander are two of the best they could have chosen to be first, although Duke with CC or StormShadow with SE might have been better paring. Not that I am complaining.

I'm just not sure how in depth I will collect this line. To be honest, I'm a Cobra collector. Snake Eyes is usually the only Joe I buy if they aren't paired up in a two pack with a Cobra figure. So we will see.

I'm thrilled Cobra Commander will be right out of the gate though. That is literaly a dream come true. Any idea what mask(s) he will have Irish? Or Snake Eyes (visor or "commando" goggles)?

I never really like they way Cobra-La took GI Joe, but Golobulus would be the Jabba the Hutt of this line. He would just look too cool to pass up.

Also, will we be getting Flagg/Battle Points to use on mail aways that happen once every decade?

I'm just not sure how in depth I will collect this line. To be honest, I'm a Cobra collector. Snake Eyes is usually the only Joe I buy if they aren't paired up in a two pack with a Cobra figure. So we will see.

That how I feel to. Not to many Joes I would want outside of Snake Eyes. Would much rather collect Cobra figures.

Wow, sure didn't see this one coming. I was crazy about GI Joe back in the eighties, so I'm very very afraid of what this line will do to my wallet. As long as we're talking 1/6 mixed media that is, we don't need more polystone.
I'm not positively sure about the choice of this forum but I suppose it's the best fit indeed, and if anything this section needed a lot more traffic so I'm happy to see this mastodont of a line here :)

Alright, since the cat's now officially out of the bag...

1) The figures will be based on the original RAH character designs :)rock). The deal was put in place well before the movie was even officially greenlit. Not sure if SSC/Hasbro will also choose to make figures based on what will surely be a crappy movie. But, rejoice... we're at least getting the "real" G.I. Joe RAH figures.

2) The first 2 (unless this has changed): Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes. There have been several in various stages of production.

3) Expect awesomeness, especially in accessories and detailing of weapons.

This has been a done deal and the figures in the works for a while now, so I'd expect to see something tangible (as in actual figures) shown soon (Toy Fair is no doubt an obvious bet).

Clearly, Hasbro has a ton of respect for Sideshow and what they bring to the 1:6 arena. This is the third partnership they've had (SW, Indy, and now G.I. Joe) but perhaps the most telling since this is actually one of Hasbro's own IPs.

:rock

This is all great news!!!!!

Now that I know they will be based on the original designs I am in:rock

I loved GIJOE as a kid, but now I am sort of "meh" about it. I am curious to see how they pull off Destro, Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow.

If they are based on the comics/cartoon/toys... I am curious to see what kind of likenesses they do.

I know many people are like that but why? We aren't really excited for the GI Joe license, we are excited for the COBRA license :lol

:dunno

But even as a kid I always had a hand full of Joes and about 50 Cobra figures:lol

They always rocked much cooler designs, and in general offered a better variety of figures.

I cant wait for this 2 pack!!!!
tandx-753037.gif

Back