1/6 Sideshow Star Wars Scout Trooper 1/6th Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to say this, but I think the SS is much nicer..

WAY nicer. The Tomy has more accurate elements and proportions, but it's a soft sculpt, lower quality casting and it's definitely too small for the figure - this is a helmet, not a head, so imagine trying to fit one into the Tomy. :)

I really do like the Tomy a lot (and love the flip-up aspect,) but it's also off in a few ways - the black goggles are the wrong shape (too sharp/angular) and too small and the visor/hood part has corners that are too sharp and flat on the top. And yeah, the sculpt is a little soft, but not a biggie.

It's about 10-20% too small to my eye, but you can get away with it because the Bikers had a slightly "fat" look where their bodies were a bit pudgy, so a slightly undersize helemt is okay.

15hlpia.png

Neither SS or tomy are screen accurate but tomy is closer and was made years ago. SS is also over scaled and looks closer to hasbro size. It's still a nice looking figure and one i hope to pick up at some point:)

I really do like the Tomy a lot (and love the flip-up aspect,) but it's also off in a few ways - the black goggles are the wrong shape (too sharp/angular) and too small and the visor/hood part has corners that are too sharp and flat on the top. And yeah, the sculpt is a little soft, but not a biggie.

It's about 10-20% too small to my eye, but you can get away with it because the Bikers had a slightly "fat" look where their bodies were a bit pudgy, so a slightly undersize helemt is okay.

15hlpia.png

That one doesn't seem quite right either.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440210557.865090.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440210569.899915.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440210577.853625.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440210590.059773.jpg
Not sure. Seems like both the Tomy and SSC got it almost right.

That one doesn't seem quite right either.
Not sure. Seems like both the Tomy and SSC got it almost right.

That's a screen used prop helmet on the left and the Tomy on the right in my post.

I think in terms of sculpt the best one is the GG bust - but most of those have the same "nearly 1/7" problem also and it's soft and has bad apps. All round, the best is the Tomy, but it those issues mentioned above.

I'm a bit saddened by the SSC effort - not sure how the mouth piece got so massive and the helmet narrowed so much. Still a quality figure overall, but I'm probably going to try to mod it.

Tomy looks better than SSC but is not perfect. BTW I think the helmets comparison above are Don Post and Altmanns, neither 100% accurate. If SSc had a shorter snout and a better profile it would have been almost perfect. Still cannot wait for my Scout to arrive, but also hope HT will make one which is better than SSC and Tomy.

Second fig arrived yesterday with same problem as the first. Remove hand peg elbow joint comes out....remove boot, knee joint comes out. These bodies suck a$$....

Was that rifle ever used in the film?

Maybe in the comics:dunno

Several ROTJ concept sketches show the Biker Scout with a rifle, but they are pretty different to this one.

As Jaymas says, this one is mostly featured in videogames and some other EU-type more recent artwork.

It's a really cool design though - like IG-88's blade (not from the films) I think this figure won't seem complete without the rifle. The design also looks very OT.

Several ROTJ concept sketches show the Biker Scout with a rifle, but they are pretty different to this one.

As Jaymas says, this one is mostly featured in videogames and some other EU-type more recent artwork.

It's a really cool design though - like IG-88's blade (not from the films) I think this figure won't seem complete without the rifle. The design also looks very OT.

It does look cool. I'm still on the fence about getting a Biker Scout in general myself (I have a Hasbro Bike that came with Luke waiting for him if I do). So if the exclusive was still available I wouldn't hesitate to get it because it does looks so cool. But, the exclusive is gone and I don't have that option any longer so I am glad that I won't be missing out on anything that was actually used in the film. The rifle makes a really good choice for an exclusive in that way; it's a real "bonus" without taking away from any feature used in the films for the non exclusive pieces.

Now... I just need to decide if I am going to get the Biker Scout or sell my Hasbro Bike :)

Second fig arrived yesterday with same problem as the first. Remove hand peg elbow joint comes out....remove boot, knee joint comes out. These bodies suck a$$....

I wish Sideshow with their garbage bodies would stop making Star Wars figures so Hot Toys can take over making all of them.

I wish Sideshow with their garbage bodies would stop making Star Wars figures so Hot Toys can take over making all of them.

I wish unicorn meat tasted as good as pork, but it doesn't. ;)

I've replaced the body on my Hoth Luke, but the Prometheus that shipped stock is a perfectly serviceable body - tight joints all around, everything moves well, no loose connections. My main gripes with these bodies are the shoulders/arms and the primary reason for the swap was to get something thinner and shorter on Luke.

I'm wondering if maybe they need to make new moulds - the existing ones for some parts may be worn out causing these tolerance issues on some parts. Apart from that, we've got quality control issues that aren't uncommon with HT products either.

IMO, the license is better off with two companies producing the product assortment as a single company won't have the bandwidth for as wide an array of figures.

When I look at my SSC Scout on the desk I sometimes see...

3927694275_5142795749.jpg

I think that muppet guy must have been an inspiration somehow.

Back